Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Am I dreaming ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:53 pm
Post subject: Am I dreaming ?Reply with quote

20 months ago, I had a couple of cheapo nylon string guitars and an Epiphone Les Paul Special but no amp to play it through. I played quite a bit at parties but always dreamed of taking it further.

Having brought my children up and seen them on their way in the big wide world, I decided to stop dreaming about being a rock star and do something about it.

In that short time, I have acquired (in order):

A Valencia TC99 classical/electric guitar. $399 retail - purchased new for $340 when the shop had a sale.

A 120w 4 channel Behringer amp/PA. Suitable for my guitar and vocals. $549 retail. Purchased 2nd hand through eBay for $195 and freighted here from Melbourne for $50.

About this time, a mate asked me to help him form a band. We got 3 other players and started regular practices. I was using my classical, as rhythm guitarist. Quite an interesting band sound but I really needed a better electric axe.

After much research and knowing I couldn't go top of the range at around $4 - $7 grand or even mid range, I found a beautiful Ibanez AK95 Artcore semi hollow body. Retail $999. Haggled and got it new for $639.

Paid for by a litter of puppies from Dizzy, my Jack Russell.

The Behringer amp was too heavey for me to lug around so I was simply going through the band's PA. I couldn't get the sound I wanted so started looking for a nice valve guitar amp.

Bought a Legacy 5w valve head and found a classic old Bell & Howell alnico speaker in eBay. Both bargains, again. Around $450 worth for $280. This was fine for home use but still needed something bigger for the band.

My almost lifelong desire to own a Fender Stratocaster became reignited when a friend bought a Squier (Fender's budget offshoot company) Telecaster and was stoked at the quality and playability. I enquired about their Strats. He pointed me in the right direction and I was soon the proud owner of a cherry red Sq. Strat. Retail $499. Purchased for $350 with money from the Federal Government's stimulous package. Very Happy

Had about a grand left over so started searching for a good amp to use with the band.

Looked at so many on eBay and in music shop catalogues before just about settling on a Peavey ValveKing 50 watter. Retail $1499. Best price $1199.

Was ready to drive up to the Gold Coast to Guitar World and buy it when I saw a Fender Hot Rod 40w deluxe on eBay. Bid on it and lost out in the last few seconds. Saw another, better one, which had the original speaker replaced with a Celestion. Once again, missed out at the death.

Back to the Peavey again, I thought. One last look on eBay.

There it was! A Marshall JCM 900 all valve combo dual reverb 50w with 2 new 12" Celestions. I'd seen this some days earlier and drooled over it. Put it out of my mind for 2 reasons. With an opening bid ask of $1149, I figured it'd go for well over $1500 and it would also be too heavy for me to carry.

My pulse quickened as I saw there hadn't been a bit yet and it had 2 minutes to go !!

Quickly typed in the $1149 and hit 'Place Bid' and held my breath. The seconds ticked by. No other bids appeared. IT WAS MINE. Very Happy

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=76600&id=661312691&l=5c6b827fe3

A mate is going to fit castors to the amp and make me a trolley to transport it from my house to the car. Weight problem fixed.

Along the way, I've also acquired a good mic, mic stand, 2 guitar stands, and all the necessary leads.

The band ? We are called The BUZZ and have been together since November, '07. We debuted in April, '08 and have played 8 gigs since. I'm still getting my head around actually being PAID to play music.

Am I dreaming ? Very Happy

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy

Last edited by Donny on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

good on ya mate, i like to write a bit of music as well...

all the best with it
choppa 

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:43 am

Good WOrk Mate
i got a Randall Cab amp and a marshall head.
bought for about 1400 combined. wanting to sell it!
ebay a good place?
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:24 am

Have I just died and gone to heaven?

Magnificent guitars.

Collingwood wins.

I might go camping next weekend as well. Laughing

Great stuff boys!
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:01 pm

MG, they are some beautiful axes mate.

Still saving up for George's Gretsch Country Gentleman ? Wink

George's original Country Gentleman was brown. Many people (including myself) thought it was black.

After all, we all saw the Beatles on black & white TV. Plus, brown isn't a very rock n' roll color.

Above a picture of George with a refinished black Gretsch Country Gentleman.

Ed Roman has made a special arrangement with Gretsch to build this guitar in this color.

They will be available in June 0f 2004... reserve yours now because they will be limited.

This guitar is referred to as the Ed Sullivan Commemorative

Ed Roman

From Celebrity Rock Stars Guitars: http://www.celebrityrockstarguitars.com/rock/harrison.htm

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:24 am

Good to see fellow Muso's on the board. Played in bands when I was younger till I got married gave it away as a profession. The old joke came true, what's the difference between a Musician and a Pizza? A Pizza can feed a family of four. Divorced 6 years ago and back into music. I still have my 76 Gibson Les Paul worth a few dollars and my friend Craig from O’Donnell Guitars made me up a another Les Paul which is great for me to use so I can keep the Gibson in GC. Have a Gibson J45 which I picked up recently along with my Washburn Acoustic which I put in an electric pick up system as well. Throw in my el cheapo 12 string 80's Korean guitar which has an ok sound. I just play with friends when I can and still enjoy my music. Currently searching for a Tele and still looking. Some people just want too much for them but I can wait. Amps I have a Peavey and an old practice amp which still works fine.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:55 pm

Mate, you may well know this but Squier's new Chinese made Strats & Teles are excellent value for money.

Pictured below is my mate's Tele (with Honey, my Artcore AK95).

They retail for around $500 but we got ours for $350. Had my Strat for a while now and am very happy with it.

*For bike enthusiasts, the one in the pic is a Royal Enfield Flying Flea - a paratroopers bike as used by 6th airborne brigade in Normandy on D-Day.

Last edited by Donny on Tue May 26, 2009 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:57 pm

Yes I do still trying to find one at the right price. Wink
tcnthat Libra

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:06 am

Great story Donny.

Where can I download your music for free?

I jest..... Wink

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:51 am

Have you guys seen the latest Leonard Cohen DVD Live in London (2008)?

London Dave might have even gone along to the O2 Stadium for it.

Can you imagine a 73 year old muso giving nearly three hours on stage of sublime music and poetry, with the most gorgeous guitars? His band is great too.

If you haven't seen this concert, beg, borrow or steal the DVD because it's better than sex. Very Happy

Have a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uumLQCEglpM

You can find other clips from the concert on You Tube too.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 am

We have an abundance of quality Muso's in Melbourne. With Hotels now smoke free live music is coming back to attract people to these venues.

Some great bands are Tilt, Trembling Wilburys, Mighty Oz Rock, Raw Brit.

Last edited by Culprit on Wed May 27, 2009 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:09 am

Culprit wrote:
We have an abundance of quality Muso's in Melbourne. With Hotels now smoke free live music is coming back to attract people to these venues.

Some great bands are Tilt, Trembling Wilburys, Mighty Oz Rock.

Laughing And don't forget Whispering Jack is back!

John Farnham has announced a new series of Glenn Wheatley benefit concerts. Razz
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:28 am

Yeah a few of my friends are happy as they have some steady work for a while. Wink
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:55 pm

Might pop along and have a look at Jack. The Palais is a much better venue to see an aussie legend than Rod Laver. Looking forward to it.
As for Cohen, I'll take your advice J_S. Remember, demonoid is your friend!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: