Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Expectations for 2007

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:07 pm
Post subject: Expectations for 2007Reply with quote

In light of Bucks' injury, the clouds surrounding when Dids'll actually set foot on the park, Ruz's shoulder and Holland's suspension - how do we think we'll go this year, particuarly early?

I believe that we should, at this stage, be 2-1 after round three, losing to WCE. Port will test us, leaving us with a true indication of where we are at, due, simply, to their leg speed and youth - they'll attempt to run us off our feet.

I have, however, a good feeling about the run home, we will have players (Bucks/Dids/Ruz/Holland) fresh(er) than overs, all going well.
melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a simlar post weeks back. and my opinion hasn't changed greatly.

Bux is a champ, but is not our most important player. He has slipped down the list now. Will be missed cos of leadership.

Didak will be missed and will leave a significant hole.

Ruz is un-proven and is still learning. Was there to replace Taz, so Taz's output will be missed despite what a lot of people think/type here.

Holland will be missed. Provides grunt in the middle.

4-2 best start we can nearly expect. Anything better, We should be on cloud 9
3-3 Par and in line to make finals (given injuries are not significant)
2-4 not Good, but respectable and finals not out of the question
1-5 we're in trouble.
0-6 long season ahead! Look to 2008!
Plenty O'Toole 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:51 pm

Tarrant, Rusling, Buckley - all full forward posibilities, all gone.

Didak not ready.

Who is going to kick the goals?

Wakes, Clemo, Presti???

If Jason Cloke was still on the list, he would be in line for the full forward position.
lethalburns Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:42 pm

My expectation is that we uncover another 2-3 young kids for the future.

If Mick gets this team into the top 6 the coaching staff have gone above and beyond..

Clearly not up to snuff YET...... However

We have more young potentials at the club right now than I can remember.

I am more excited about seeing our young talent come together and give us a glimpse of future long term success.

Don't really want to see guys like Holland return too soon. Observed him closely last year and thought his stats/diposal were horrible. Pure tagger/bacup. Nothing more.
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:00 am

Forward line is a concern yes, but its not an abject disaster.

Rusling out....big deal
Tarrant out...we need to find 1 goal and 3 assists a game to replace this. (and if Pendles can add some class by foot to the midfield, this becomes less of a necessity).

Buckley out...not our most important player anymore, but certainly leaves a hole.

Didak ...big hole..but wont be out for long so in terms of the season, is a non-event.

Dont write off Leon Davis' return, nor Medhursts contribution. So far this year both have shown exactly what we want of them.

The forward line in round 1 will look something like this.

Davis, Rocca, Medhurst
Fraser, Cloke, Burns

The "burns" spot can be filled by any goal-kicking midfielder, and will eventually be Didaks when he returns in round 2-3.

I think its fairly balanced...3 talls, 3 smalls.

As far as im concerned, if Fraser is able to float forward, he will more than replace Tarrant, which when Didak returns, makes Medhurst icing on the cake.
Plenty O'Toole 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:09 am

So who plays in the ruck? Guy Richards? Bryan? You are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I would of thought Thomas would play in the full forward line.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:06 am

I have us down for 8th - 10th. If Bucks does not play at least 10 games and Judd is on the market I would back us for 16th.

We simply do not have a midfield of class. We have taggers and stoppers. Competitive yes, but not match winners. Our lack of depth of players with 100+ games will show out this year more than ever with our aging players.

I will be there as always but my expectations are not high this year, so much so I have booked my holiday in September.

The AFL system as it stands is not conducive for a Victorian team to win a flag let alone dominate.
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:53 am

I still think we can finish anywhere from 6-12! Unfortunately we have some grand canyon gapping holes and thankfully, MM is the master at filling those holes! With a bit of luck, we can still make the eight but its looking more and more unlikely!
sq3 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:32 am

I think this year will be a great year for the Pies and set us up for a big push in 2008.

There will be between 4 and 8 emerging players this year who will all get the required game time experience to further flourish in 2008.

This year will also be vastly different to prior years where we start of fast and the fade at the end of the year - this year will be the inverse - start slow and finish fast and strong.

This year I would expect about 5 and 6 at the half way point and finish with a 7 and 4 fnish - overall 12 and 10 and just make it into the 8.

Pies will be greater in 2008 with C3 stepping up as well as Daisy, Pendles, Dick, Reid, Brown, JA, Stanley and Cox - and with much better efforts from Josh and Pebbles - throw in Medhurst and Bryan - and we are just about a top 4 team.

Dawes will have a huge and immediate impact in 2008 and I would expect almost all the recruiting for 2008 to be midfielders as goal to goal will be set, stable and young.

Cox will be a big revelation this year - Kouta Mk II.

Realistically this is a building year (and a stepping stone for 2008 and beyond) - but we should still aim to make the finals.
Doska#6 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:40 am

I know it's the first game of the season, but how important is next weeks game going to be against the Kangaroos. A win and we will go to Subiaco with nothing to lose and a lot to gain. A loss and off we go to Subiaco with our confidence shot. I my self don't know what to expect this season, but I expect us to beat the Kangaroos in Round 1.
Plenty O'Toole 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:50 am

The first game of the season is important for every team.

And after the first game has finished, the second game of the season is important.

And after the second game of the season has finished, the third game of the season is very important.

And after…..
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:54 am

Honestly the way the Eagles are at the moment we could win round 2 despite it being over there.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:00 am

Agree with you there Culprit - you can only play " flying high" for so long.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Plenty O'Toole 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:23 am

Mick is keeping the seat warm till Bix retires and from Eddie's perspective, he doesn’t want to bring in a new coach that might be successful in the short term and then have the fight when Bux retires to get the new coach out.

From Eddie’s perspective, it is better if we bottom out now and have a mediocre couple of years and then he can hand Bux a talented young fresh group of players to form as a team on the rise when he retires and becomes Collingwood coach in 2010.

So I wouldn’t expect anything in the way of performance by the Pies until then. That is where our current “Clock” is at.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:47 am

Get a grip you guys. Our injury siuation is no where near as dire as some of you are suggesting. Sure, Bucks will miss the first 3 games. It's not the end of the world. We've won plenty of games without him before, even when he was in peak condition.

Rusling is out for the year, but let's face it, he was not one of our best players, and in fact wouldn't make my top 22 players. All he's got is potential.

The good news is that Dids is well on track for an early appearance, which is fantastic.

All teams suffer injuries and we are no different. As for our forward line, we've still got Josh, Travis, Medhurst, Leon, Rocca, Daisy, Egan and Reid available, so I don't see that as being a problem at all.

Come on all you doomsdayers, lift your game, lift your spirits, and get on board the magpie train which will steam to finals success in 2007.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: