Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The ball tampering saga

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
Simon Katich:

‘‘Once again we find someone [Clarke] missing the point.

"We were caught for blatantly cheating and we have to rectify that as quickly as possible and to earn back the respect of the cricketing public in Australia and worldwide. Our behaviour is a big part of that.

"We've been a disliked team for a number of years through that on-field behaviour and it obviously came to a head in Cape Town.

"It's a tough battle for this team taking on the burden of what's come before them. It's not going to be easy.’’

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/katich-clarke-clash-over-new-aussie-cricket-team-ethos-20181128-p50iw8.html

[Comment: this "earn back the respect" is overused and tiresome. Pretty much no national (cricket) team or administration deserves great respect at the moment.]

Yeah let’s say everyone cheats in their own way so sandpapering the ball is nothing! Caught on camera, shut up and face up, be humble for once, and yes earn back respect.

Just because someone else cheats doesn’t mean you should too, live by your own standards, or be judged by theirs.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:20 pm

think positive wrote:
Yeah let’s say everyone cheats in their own way so sandpapering the ball is nothing! ...
Just because someone else cheats doesn’t mean you should too, live by your own standards, or be judged by theirs.

I think this is too "offender-centric", i.e. too focused on the ball tamperer. We should be more "victim-centric", i.e. focus more on the victim.

The one truly innocent victim of all this mess is the Game of Cricket. The victim, the game itself, hasn't been served at all by any of this. This is like crime in society. The lynch mob might feel its carnal desires met when one criminal is publicly lynched, but that doesn't actually help society. Society is protected from crime when almost all crime is solved and punished in a consistent, fair manner, not when the majority of crime goes unpunished and one or two criminals are subjected to frenzied attacks -- even if in some sense they "deserve" it.

The game has also been ill served by all the excessively flat pitches, which have contributed in no small part to all the ball tampering.

The reactions of so many people make me wonder: do they really care about the game of cricket?

Most reactions seem largely an expression of prior grievances and prejudices, of which there are countless: one nation against another, the Board and the players against each other, Katich and Clarke against each other, and so on. In this sense, it reminds me a bit of the worldwide reaction to performance-enhancing drugs in sport. In that issue, too, no benefit has come from the unequal reaction and sport is the ultimate loser.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:13 am

Scott Grant to be named as Cricket Australia chief operating officer

Former Hyundai executive.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/cricket-australia-appoints-former-hyundai-executive-to-senior-role-20190127-p50txa.html
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:29 am

Steve Smith's Vodafone ad that's been running for months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkC46v_0nb0

I think this is grossly inappropriate. Vodafone should be ashamed. Smith is rather foolish, whatever his intentions in this case. (That was not his only foolish action. The interviews he and Bancroft gave were also ill-judged.)
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:08 pm

Bancroft defends interview...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/bancroft-defends-interview-makes-case-for-ashes-20190223-p50zth.html

J. Pierik wrote:
Just days before his ban expired, Bancroft was interviewed by Australian great Adam Gilchrist, their chat airing on Fox Cricket on Boxing Day during the Test against India.

He was criticised for this interview, with Ricky Ponting and Jones among those to question why it was done and aired during the showpiece event of the Australian summer.

"At the end of the day, my ban finished on December 28, it was actually in the middle of the game, so I find it hard to understand a little bit because I was going to need to speak at some point," Bancroft told ABC radio.

"The other thing that I was really passionate about was, I didn't just want to talk just for the sake of talking because the game, life in general ... there are messages far greater than just yourself to portray.

"I felt like I had some really important learning that I wanted to share with people, which was why I wrote my letter [to himself, published in The West Australian] and which was why I did an interview with 'Gilly'. I felt like there were some really powerful lessons that I have learnt through my journey that I wanted to share. If other people were triggered by that, I guess that is their battle to face but if I was able to touch people through some parts of my journey to help them work through their lives, that was my sole intention. I was proud of myself for that."

"I have spoken to Dave. All of us, including Dave, we have all been really challenged through this period of time. I know that all three of us have stuck by each other, looked after each other well," he said.

"You can't understand the trauma that I felt, it was probably very different to the trauma he [Warner] felt. I can't possibly understand that. I guess moving forward it will be great lessons for all of us, including Dave, too. I guess that is something we have all shared with each other and something I have certainly shared with David throughout this entire journey."

[Comment: No. No! No!! (Is there any emoji for thumping your fist on the table? Maybe a gif?) Some of his statements sound close to delusional. e.g. "If other people were triggered by that, I guess that is their battle to face..." Huh?? Does he mean that Ricky Ponting was "triggered" and that is Ricky's "battle to face"?? The kid seems to be drowning in New Age mumbo jumbo. He would do better listening to people like Ponting.]
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:16 pm

Gideon Haigh has a new book, entitled Crossing the Line. I guess this is an edited extract.

Crossing the line: inside the bubble of Australian cricket

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/cricket/crossing-the-line-inside-the-bubble-of-australian-cricket/news-story/938dd32698a1cfeade5b98febb2853d9

Quote:
There is no team in Australia like its Test cricket team, first chosen from a clutch of colonies containing barely two million people, and still sporting the colours first worn before Federation. No national side is considered so representative; no national side is quite so elevated and sequestered from those whom they represent.

The players know it, too. Back in the palmy days of the early 21st century, those at Cricket Australia charged with responsibility for dealing with the Australian cricket team spoke of an iron law. For their first 15 Tests and/or 30 one-day internationals, an Australian cricketer would be good as gold — excited, obliging, grateful, and generally happy to be there. After that, negotiations became complicated.

The cricketer would grow expectant, entitled, maybe even a bit surly, harder to persuade to do anything not directly or indirectly related to playing, tending towards the bare minimum of co-operation.

Schedules, messages and resources that used to be slipped beneath the hotel room door now arrive via an app from CA’s Athlete Management System, an efficient distribution means, as most players are inseparable from their phones.

The AMS makes reciprocal demands, requiring a constant feed of data from the player about their activity, welfare, recent performances, future objectives.

Players complete the foregoing dutifully, albeit as much because of the consequences of not doing so. “I fill in my AMS so the S&C (strength and conditioning coach) and the physio don’t get in trouble,” says a Test player. “But it’s just more rope to hang yourself by.”

“Cracker (Trevor Hohns) calls and says: ‘You’re dropped.’ You say: ‘OK, what do I do?’ He says: ‘Just do what you’re doing now, go out and make heaps of runs and take heaps of wickets.’ And that’s it. They feel no duty of care. They’re 30 years behind the AFL in that respect.

“They know a fair bit about cricket, although not as much as you might think,” said a former member of the Australian support staff. “They know a lot about movies. Can identify a line from a movie like ‘that’. Because that’s what they do: they play cricket, they go to their rooms to watch movies. They could tell you the Prime Minister’s name, because they go to his place every year. But the Opposition Leader? Probably not. About the countries they visit they’re amazingly ignorant.”

Lehmann is a coach of marked likes and dislikes, has a sentimental side and a bullying side. He can embrace, dote, protect; he can also undermine, intimidate and exclude.

A curious thing even in this time, in fact, was that while the Australians could be boorish, they were arguably a bit better behaved than a good many teams of earlier generations.

They built solid friendships with overseas players through various T20 leagues. They remained great applauders of opponents, and handshakers too — though it is not often mentioned, there are many more handshakes on cricket fields now than there were in days of yore.

Those with whom I spoke about the dressing room atmosphere in Lehmann’s last couple of years felt that it fluctuated, and markedly. ...

A visitor in that time was Lehmann’s occasional relief coach and future successor, Justin Langer, who was shocked at the dressing room’s degeneration, its inward focus, its pervasive hauteur. Yet it was a brittle cockiness, masking weakness and unease. ...

Concerns were muted, further, by a general lack of trust. If one held misgivings, to whom could one turn? For at a telltale moment, CA embarked on a futile war with the Australian Cricketers’ Association.

... through 2017, CA seemed perfectly content with having their most valuable ass–ets depicted as overpaid prima donnas.

When three players were party to an ethical transgression at Cape Town, a sense in the public spread quickly: that they had it coming.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:40 am

Greg Dyer:

Australian cricket has made great progress but work still to be done

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/australian-cricket-has-made-great-progress-but-work-still-to-be-done-20190315-p514fd.html

Quote:
The Australian Cricketers' Association partnership with Cricket Australia is on a much stronger footing than it has been for some time. Yes, it's a work in progress like any relationship in which trust has been broken. At board-to-board level, there is now a professionalism, honesty and civility in the dialogue and some tangible outcomes to demonstrate the benefits. The rebranding of the Australian Cricket Awards and the joint launch of the ACA Grassroots Cricket Fund are evidence of this.

The Grassroots Cricket Fund must continue to get the attention it deserves. It is an unprecedented $30 million directed towards local clubs all over Australia - it will make a tangible difference where it’s needed – it's funded by the players for the community and again speaks to the quality of this cohort of cricketers.

The next step for the sport will be an earnest implementation of the agreed recommendations of the Ethics Centre (Longstaff) report to deliver cultural change in administration as well. A joint ACA/CA/state associations Ethics Centre report implementation working group has been set up. Crucially, and to their credit, CA has committed to an independent review of the progress. This is welcome because Australian cricket has been through too much in the past 12 months to lose this opportunity for administrative cultural improvement.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:59 am

M. Knox wrote:
The essential questions about their reintegration remain the same, after India, as they were before. How does Smith fit back into one-day and Test teams that he led, with run-scoring and captaincy, for three years? How does Warner, a dominant personality in those teams, find his role? How do the returning pair interact with each other? How do Paine and Finch work as their captains, when Smith and Warner are the senior professionals? Beyond that, the questions revolve around subtle issues of morality and history. Did Warner take the fall for some of his teammates? Does he believe he did? Do they believe he did, or not? If he didn’t – equally, if he did - how can they work with him? How do the differences between teammates’ acceptance of Smith and Warner ramify through the overall dynamic? These are some of the potential fault lines that will come under the most intense pressure, on the field and off, in England from May through to September.

The knotty new selection issue, next to those matters, is perhaps secondary. But there is a question of fundamental fairness to the players who have acquitted themselves admirably in the past 12 months and in the past few weeks. What we know for certain is that somebody is going to get a raw deal. Australia have achieved a remarkable feat by winning in India. Finch has led a reconstituted young one-day team to a superb victory. The wounds of 2018 have, to a pleasing extent, healed over. Just in time for them to be reopened.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/australian-victory-raises-a-line-up-of-dilemmas-20190315-p514ir.html
K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:28 pm

What Smith, Warner reintegration really means

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26294152/what-smith-warner-reintegration-really-means

D. Brettig wrote:
Reports that the Australian ODI squad was given the opportunity to ask Warner and Smith any questions they may have had recalled the awkwardness of Wayne Phillips, Graeme Wood and Murray Bennett fronting fellow members of Allan Border's 1985 Ashes squad after they had changed their minds regarding participation in that year's South African rebel tour. But whatever was said in that enclosed environment will be less important than how Warner and Smith play out their actions over ensuing weeks, months and years.

There were some unsettling moments during the bans that suggested Smith in particular was not quite clear on where he now stood. The timing of a press conference and Fox Cricket interview to coincide with the launching of an overwrought phone commercial was clumsy at best and a major distraction for the Test team at worst, while the pronouncements of his manager about Smith's plan to play in the World Cup, disregarding his own uncertain fitness and decidedly underwhelming returns in his previous 10 ODIs, sounded something like entitlement.

Another instance from the recent past that also bears thinking about is the seamless way in which George Bailey slipped from stand-in captain to drinks waiter during the 2015 World Cup once Clarke was fit enough to resume. Bailey has recalled, with much mirth, that in celebrations of that win he inadvertently broke the trophy. Team-mates who saw how he served the team either as leader or a reserve were happy to accept the momentary lapse given the extent of his selflessness beforehand. Beyond the Dubai platitudes, Warner and Smith must aim for similar standing.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:52 am

Documentary: Crossing The Line [55:53]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKcvHAec6GM

Warning: this is a S. African production, though it's hosted by Mark Nicholas and has talking heads from both countries. Brace yourself for sanctimonious codswallop.

Ball tampering comes around the 23min mark onwards. (Before that is the Rabada farce.)
K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:47 am

Bancroft named as new Durham captain

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/bancroft-named-as-new-durham-captain-20190322-p516g0.html

(This follows Paul Collingwood's retirement.)

[ Shocked Shocked Some of the self-congratulatory psychobabble Bancroft has spouted is just amazing. (“You have no idea how amazing you are as a person,” he is reported as saying of himself! Yes, amazing, but not in a good way.) Is that what you want in a captain? And it looks like he basically tried to throw Warner under the bus and play the innocent victim. Is that what you want in a captain? Who would have thought that, of the three, Warner would behave the most appropriately in the last five months. Maybe he had no choice, because he was hated so much, while the other two and their advisors thought they could play media games.]
K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:06 am

Unhappy anniversary, time to start again

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/unhappy-anniversary-time-to-start-again-20190321-p5168f.html

G. Baum wrote:
David Warner retreated the other way, into his young family, seeking anchorage and balance. To everyone's surprise, he has been outwardly stoic, not saying boo to media or even when crassly sledged in a grade game. He has been, if you like, the model prisoner. From accounts, he has dealt better than Smith with their time in Coventry.

Occasionally, friction surfaced, between Warner and third wheel Cameron Bancroft, then between Smith and Warner. "I didn't want to know," Smith said in a rambling press briefing in January, devolving all blame on Warner, but doing himself no favours, either. Contrast that with then vice-captain Rod Marsh's gesture of non-compliance as Greg Chappell ordered up the under-arm in 1981. Smith's netside interview was one of two public appearances at the height of summer - the other was on Fox - that made Cricket Australia wince.

Evidently, though, there has been a catharsis and strengthening. Justin Langer's intensely earnest public talk sometimes sounds naff, but in the receptive confines of a pro sports team, it works. Now re-integration is at hand. It is being carefully, even delicately managed, mostly over the hill and far away, with a Harvard expert on hand to advise. In truth, you suspect it is being melodramatised, made into some kind of threshold, a frontier. Notionally, Smith and Warner met to reconcile with the Australian team in Dubai, but more than half are intimates from NSW who have been with them in the nets and on the rub-down tables every week. They've had plenty of time and privacy to deal with the bruises.

It is improbable that Smith and Warner would do other than walk on eggshells now. It is in all their best interests now to put the past behind them. Warner is a loose cannon, but a shrewd one. As for Smith, the word is that his injured wrist has given him a cause, a project, a focus for his itchy energy. Soon, he will don his batting blinkers again, but you can expect his eyes to be more open. The captaincy and its multitudinous demands always sat a little askew on his shoulders anyway, like a wonky backpack. If he can live with the indignity of losing it, he might yet thrive again without it.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:42 pm

Quote:
Durham raised eyebrows - both in English and Australian cricket circles - when they announced on Friday that Bancroft would captain the club in 2019.

"He's a fantastic bloke. He's obviously a really good leader in his own right and I'm sure he'll do a really good job over there," Marsh said in Sharjah.

"He's a really good guy with a really good cricket brain.

"He'll demand a lot of hard work ... he'll tackle it with both hands, that's what 'Bangers' is about."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/bancroft-a-really-good-leader-shaun-marsh-20190324-p5170q.html
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:51 pm

Seems crazy.

What must other Durham captaincy contenders be feeling.

Anyone know if 'Bangers' has any leadership history ?

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:31 pm

Warner 84 of 51 in his first IPL game. Out Anybody They Want, In Warner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 20 of 24   

Jump to: