Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Umpiring rants ~ receive our scorn

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 4:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t believe how many people are saying the ump shouldn’t have pinged Rankine for running too far. I’ve put everyone in this article on my block list. Fair dinkum, what absolute muppets!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/adelaide-crows/afl-2024-izak-rankine-called-for-running-too-far-by-umpire-video-hamstring-injury-ending-to-collingwood-magpies-win-over-adelaide-crows-reaction-response-latest-news/news-story/bca26cba33ed2cb40d2d3674ee1b6200
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 6:31 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
Essendon have been gifted 6 premiership points by the umps in the last fortnight.

Bad umpiring has cost us the wins against Essendon and St Kilda.

And almost against Carlton.

And almost against Adelaide.

aus50ford 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:58 am

[quote="Mr Miyagi"]I can’t believe how many people are saying the ump shouldn’t have pinged Rankine for running too far. I’ve put everyone in this article on my block list. Fair dinkum, what absolute muppets!

So many games the Crows bitch and moan about umpiring decisions that aren't payed at the end of games ... now they (and commentators) want one ignored !!
Big sooky lala babies

melliot 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:08 am

It's always interesting that no one mentions the clear non-free to Shultz.

Hill's kick to the wing has Shultz attempting to mark with crows player making front on contact and chopping his arms. It was a 2 for 1 free. Commentators called for it. No free.

Ball spilled to the boundary for a throw in which lead to the Rankin dash. I kinda feel the Rankin too far free was an evener upper.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:30 am

Was the free against Cox there? For the push off the ball?

Crows had the better of the umps yesterday. We just happened to get a controversial call right at the end, and of course, that is the talking point, like all the decisions before that didn't happen.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:17 am

There’s no controversy, and I don’t feel sympathy — the rule is the rule, Rankine ran too far without a bounce, all players know it since little league. If it had been Johnny Noble and he got pinged, everyone would be calling for his head.

The REAL controversy is why ALL FOUR umpires were at the opposition’s end of the ground and no one within kooee of Joe Richards’s tackle which should have been rewarded. But no one’s talking about that.

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Mon May 20, 2024 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:44 am

^^Swings and Roundabouts. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. It's history you move on.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:50 am

eddiesmith wrote:
stoliboy wrote:
Question about umpires deciding when tbs ball has been kicked 15m.

In the Adelaide game there seemed to be a lot of play-on calls for not going 15m.

Is it 15m from where the player kicks the ball? E.g. If a player takes a mark, walks back, the. Kicks the ball 15m from their position over the mark is that considered sufficient? Or would it be 15m from the mark point? I feel the umpires today are paying the later.

15m from where he kicks the ball. You'll see a lot of players go back 10m then the next mark will be nearly beside the previous one!

Thanks Eddie. The amount of times Pies players got called for play-on for not going 15 it felt like a rule change.

1eyedpie Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 2:07 pm

^
I felt it was more times than not when short kicks went to De Goey even if it traveled 20 metres was called play on. I believe a lot of umpires don’t like De Goey!
On the flip side the crows got away with a lot of 10 to 12 meter kicks and paid as marks.

BARRACK HARD!
Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 2:56 pm

I thought it was a surprisingly tough call on Rankine because usually these go unpaid even if technically correct. I’d have been wild if it had been paid against us.

It was however poetic justice for the free not paid to Schultz a minute earlier for a clear arm-chop.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:51 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Thanks Eddie. The amount of times Pies players got called for play-on for not going 15 it felt like a rule change.

Hey Eddie, are some umpires human enough to dislike certain players like JDG and subconsciously umpire them harshly and differently to others? Sometimes it sure looks that way but they will never admit to the practice.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:05 pm

stoliboy wrote:

The irony of all this is, is that these 2 rules are my absolute pet hates in the way they are umpired. Both are 15m yet they let 10m kicks go whilst allowing other players to run 20m without bouncing.

I'm glad Rankine was pulled up, the most annoying bit is commentators complaining it never gets paid and it was a minor infringement, he went 24m!!! Leigh Matthews then tried to claim umpires only ping players running 25...

The only blatantly bad ones I've noticed are a player running into goal, a lot of them could be pinged but I feel umpires won't pay it, especially when they were unlikely to be caught anyway.

They then pick out one not paid to Brisbane, well duh, Brisbane at the GABBA is not always umpired to the letter of the law.

But for the marks, I'd love it if they started making players kick it further before paying marks, some of the kicks are getting ridiculously short. Personally, I often call no 15, play on!!!

lazzadesilva wrote:

Hey Eddie, are some umpires human enough to dislike certain players like JDG and subconsciously umpire them harshly and differently to others? Sometimes it sure looks that way but they will never admit to the practice.

Funny you should ask, this was raised with a couple of highly experienced AFL umpires recently I was training with, of course the question was in relation to Ginnivan.

Now of course they said no, but, they did also say they do review teams and players and see those who are trying to flout the rules of the game so they can stay ahead.

Now someone like Selwood became a respected player before his ducking became obvious to us all and the media loved Geelong. Pendlebury will get far more free kicks than he gives away as a respected player.

So yes, there is little doubt they do umpire some players differently. Clearly umpires felt Travis Cloke loved a wrestle so would rarely penalise his opponent. Yet for some reason they often give Curnow free kicks despite him often initiating contact as he also likes to use his strength.

I also have often felt those who complain the most to umpires will be more likely to be treated unfairly, not sure if JDG is a complainer though?
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:46 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Brisbane at the GABBA is not always umpired to the letter of the law.

Don’t expect you to solve all the problems Eddie dude but this type of thing really shits me! Why don’t the umpires always umpire to the letter of the law at the Gabba? To me, this creates one of the most hated actions of umpires, ie. umpiring inconsistently. Why not always umpire the game consistently within the laws of Aussie Rules? Is that in the too hard basket?

And are some umpires human enough to dislike certain players like JDG and subconsciously umpire them harshly and differently to others? Sometimes it sure looks that way but they will never admit to the practice.

eddiesmith wrote:
Now someone like Selwood became a respected player before his ducking became obvious to us all and the media loved Geelong. Pendlebury will get far more free kicks than he gives away as a respected player.
I also have often felt those who complain the most to umpires will be more likely to be treated unfairly, not sure if JDG is a complainer though?

I honestly don’t think you can mark him down as a regular complainer. If at all, he will protest extremely rarely I reckon.

1eyedpie Virgo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:25 am

Quote:
Lazza wrote:
And are some umpires human enough to dislike certain players like JDG and subconsciously umpire them harshly and differently to others? Sometimes it sure looks that way but they will never admit to the practice.

Of course they are!

About a fortnight ago Dwayne Russel had the AFL head of coaching on his pro gram and he admitted that he umpires his own kids differently being more harsh on them, Dwayne pulled him up on it and said there lies the problem that umpires umpire the person/team rather than the rule.

We saw it first hand in the st Kilda game when Fischer who played for the saints couldn’t get his whistle to his mouth fast enough to pay them a free but gave us nothing!

He should not be allowed to umpire saints game ever again!

BARRACK HARD!
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 11:46 am

I stand to be corrected but I think I recall former player Mark Fraser not being appointed to umpire Collingwood games 🤔 it’s a moot point anyway because he was removed from the umpiring panel because he had trouble bouncing the ball 🙄
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 69 of 76   

Jump to: