Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 111, 112, 113  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:54 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Any resemblance to Luke Breust has ceased, he's gone the full Kane Cornes lookalike coiffure!
...bloke is going to get a following one way or another.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:03 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Perhaps you could elaborate on their similarities other than height and being forwards?

Not saying I agree with it but I have heard some criticism of Ginnivan that he draws frees by dropping his knees (from oppo fans, naturally)

In the 5 games that he's played? Suspect most opposition fans wouldn't know who he is.

Bucks commented on this on the weekend. Described it along the lines of an innate ability to draw free kicks by dropping his centre of gravity.
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:21 pm

And Dunstall the prick started to have a go at Ginnivans knack for drawing a head high free kick.

Bucks put him in his place by saying he doesn't complain about Selwood (which has been mentioned already here)

We know Dunstall has zero empathy for anything Collingwood, the bastard was
just riding Kane Cornes article and making a headline at Ginnivan's expense.

I have no doubt the mudslinging at Ginnivan would have continued into his career had it not been nipped in the bud then and there.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:29 pm
Post subject: Bucks/Dunstall commentary - Ginnivan shrug/high tacklesReply with quote

Re-watching the game and came across this interesting bit of banter...

Q2, 10:02 remaining

Huddo: Ohh that's high (on Ginnivan)
Bucks: He's very good at that
Huddo: Do you ever try to coach it out?
Bucks: He keeps getting free kicks - I don't think so...

Later... Q2 4:29 remaining

...Ginnivan shrugs into another high tackle

Dunstall (in clear disagreement with Bucks' comment 5 minutes earlier...): Cmon Bucks, you cant have that...
Bucks: Why cant you have it?
Dunstall: It's not in the spirit of the game if you're saying he's very good at dropping himself into the tackle
Bucks: It challenges the tackler to have good technique and if you don't have a good technique then you give a free kick away
Dunstall: Yeah but if you go to tackle someone around the body and at the last second as you are executing that good tackling technique they drop like that I don't think we want to see that in our game
Bucks: Joel Selwood?

pregnant pause.... Shocked

Dunstall: Correct
Bucks: You don't like his...
Dunstall: I don't like the way that happens either. I love Joel's career, I'd love to have him in my team, he's one of the first blokes picked...
Bucks: (now knowing he has won the argument, lets Jason off the hook): I get it, its annoying, but its the rule

...about 30 seconds of silence....

Couple things about this:
1. Bucks still loves the Pies - and will come to their defence
2. I don't think Jason likes being called out
3. We all know that legends get a sweetheart deal in the media that rookies don't ("anyone who knows him knows he's a great bloke...")
4. I don't know that dropping at the knees is a good look either (hate when Selwood does it) - but we cant have it both ways when its our guy!!
5. I'll be looking out for more Dunstall v Bucks commentary pairings.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:41 pm

It remains a “ skill “ until it isn’t. Ginnivan had a reputation of drawing free kicks as a junior. Free kicks ( or marks ) in front of goal are gold because they allow you time to compose yourself and go through your routine.
If he stays injury free, he could easily finish the season as a forty goal forward and you can bet a fair percentage of those will be from going in low and drawing free kicks from over exuberant opponents. Let ‘em squeal.
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:39 pm

A bit of media attention will bring it to attention of umps, so such free kicks might become harder to get
#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:27 pm

The idea of having a small forward in our team, who'll drive opposition supporters nuts by drawing high free kicks, is hilarious. Laughing
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:12 pm

its just a way of absorbing a side tackle firstly then in the process its reversing the likely outcome which would be holding the ball in many cases. lets not forget alot of the times in ginnies defence, he's under shit loads of heat probably because he's either picking a loose ball or receving a hot handball and knows he will be crunched with no time prior so why not try and manipulate a free for?
you can see both sides thats for sure but perhaps try tackling someone front on and wrap up the ball in the process.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:37 pm

By the same logic, tall players should be prevented from jumping
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:02 pm

#26 wrote:
The idea of having a small forward in our team, who'll drive opposition supporters nuts by drawing high free kicks, is hilarious. Laughing

And long may it continue. Its been too long since we were truly despised by the masses...I hope he draws a free for a shot to win the flag, nothing would make me happier...assuming he kicks it
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:00 pm

Never liked it, but if other clubs do it then as they say when in Rome! And as Bucks said, it’s up to the tackler to be aware and tackle with the right technique.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:35 pm

I get the feeling Ginnivan is trolling Cornes with his new hair colour.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:27 pm

Dunstall is a flog.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:16 pm

Putting to one side the selective focus on Ginnivan – not sure any other AFL player has accrued so much media consternation seven games into their career! – and as much as I’m instinctively drawn to supporting Bucks in this exchange, the fact is Dunstall is right. Trying to draw frees is poor sportsmanship and makes a mockery of the entire intention of free kicks, which is, for high tackles, to prevent head and neck injuries. So if the player with the ball is deliberately doing something (doesn’t matter what) to cause that dangerous action, then it’s nonsensical to award them a free kick for it. Either the dangerous action is being deliberately allowed to occur, or the umpire is being hoodwinked. If the basic logic of the rule is followed, players who duck into tackles through any method should be getting penalised (or at least not rewarded).

Now, Buckley is also right in that it’s not Ginnivan’s job to make the rules, and coaches have no incentive to stop players from doing this as long as it benefits the team (perhaps I wish that the AFL could be a competition in which good sportsmanship was valued as highly as winning games, but I realise that ship sailed decades ago). To their credit, the AFL did at long last crack down on more obvious ducking in recent years, and I think the game will be improved further still if they stamp this kind of thing out too.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:31 pm

Charlie Oneeye wrote:
I have no doubt the mudslinging at Ginnivan would have continued into his career had it not been nipped in the bud then and there.

Nipped in the bud is a bold prediction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 111, 112, 113  Next
Page 3 of 113   

Jump to: