Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Carringbush Rumour File (JUST the rumour pls)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 65, 66, 67  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 4:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

skaman wrote:
Lobb is what you get when you order a Wes Fellowes from Wish. Looks like <Snip - there might be a better, more modern analogy in this day and age. Thanks...the mods>

Rob, dunno what got censored there, but I hope it wasn't meant to be a sledge on Wes Fellowes, who served us very admirably during the mid to late 80s?

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 4:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:
McStay is the key forward we're missing but Checkers isn't getting any younger, we need to find another Trav Cloke or Pebbles.

Well both wre very hight draft picks in their respective years; Cloke we effectively got by default thanks to David's service, and thankfully he chose us over Bitchmond.

Pebbles Rocca; we had to wait two years for his initial obligatory contract [1995/1996] to expire with Pink Ducks, and then more anal bleeding at our end to secure him for 1997 season.

So to suggest we need to find another in their size and strength is correct, yet securing them ahead of the flotsam at the bottom of the table in the draft is highly unlikely.
Thus what are our options? Keep poaching for a UFA/RFA, or simply scour the lower leagues for a mature body who might step up out of nowhere?

Look at the absolute ball Handbag Henry is having at Geebung, while Dunderklumpen and Cameron command the opposition's best defender to man them up, he gets to run riot!

piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 12:53 pm

Would love to know the inside story on Henry. Is he a jerk? Is he a pussy? (I think we all have convinced ourselves these things are the truth - but we dont know for a fact...). Was there something he wasnt doing that lead him to butt heads with the coaching staff? Was it all about money?

None of us will ever know I suspect - unless we can put the question to Fly at a sportsman's event at some stage in about 10 years' time. I think he will have a solid career at the Cats - feels like one who got away.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 7:09 pm

Why do you think there was something sinister behind his departure?
He was a Geelong boy who wanted to go home and play along side his brother for the team he had supported growing up. Isn't that enough??

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 8:34 pm

Pretty sure all the clubs knew of Ollie Henry's desires before the draft. Clubs will always back themselves to keep the player if they are good enough.
Pies would have backed themselves knowing Geelong is an hour down the road.

There's a good point a few posts above. If McInnes was lining up alongside a Hawkins and Cameron combination in our forward line, maybe he would have an easier run like Henry. This is true, when McInnes has played, he's generally been the second tall rather than the third tall and he's playing against a KPB instead of a third tall / medium type.

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:34 pm

The Black and White Lion wrote:
Pretty sure all the clubs knew of Ollie Henry's desires before the draft. Clubs will always back themselves to keep the player if they are good enough.
Pies would have backed themselves knowing Geelong is an hour down the road.

There's a good point a few posts above. If McInnes was lining up alongside a Hawkins and Cameron combination in our forward line, maybe he would have an easier run like Henry. This is true, when McInnes has played, he's generally been the second tall rather than the third tall and he's playing against a KPB instead of a third tall / medium type.

Correct. And what a combination to learn forward craft from…arguably two of the best key forwards to play in the AFL ever. Unfortunately, we don’t have anything like that intellectual property….overall a very difficult proposition for any young key forward to come into.

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:41 pm

Said it before, will say it again….get these unrestricted free agents: Battle (from StK) to fortify backline as replacement for Howe/Murph…get Himmelberg (from ADL) as that big bodied goal kicking/marking key forward to play alongside Checkers, McStay and Reef. Bailey Smith and Isaac Cumming (GWS) and Bailey Banfield (from FREO) and another gun mid from somewhere, which will cost us nothing but $$$ and we’ll be farting through silk for at least the next 3-4 years….Pies Dynasty baby!!!!
piffdog 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 8:44 am

Bucks5 wrote:
He was a Geelong boy who wanted to go home and play along side his brother for the team he had supported growing up. Isn't that enough??

You're probably right - perhaps the simplest explanation is the right one...

But for me I am not sure that would be enough. There must be plenty of players for whom those reasons are not enough. There must be plenty of players playing at poor clubs (which aren't the ones they barracked for growing up) who would like to get out, but yet the bond they have with their team mates and the connection they have with their club makes them stick around. Would have thought the locker room vibe at our club is pretty supportive - yet still this guy wanted to be in a different environment. I cant help but feel he got his nose bent out of joint when he couldnt get a game and as a result decided the grass was greener. As further evidence, take a look at Max Holmes - considered himself fit, but was controversially not picked for a GF and yet still stayed on despite other offers.

I wouldnt care if he was going to have an average career - but I think that he will play 200+ games and potentially kick 500 goals (I am thinking a Bruest like career) and its a shame it won't be for our club.

Lastly - just a pity we didnt get more for him on the way out. I wonder if there is an underlying ethos that if a player wants to go you just make it happen and take what you can get... Be good to get Wrighty (or someone) on the record about the philosophy in general. I presume you dont want to develop a reputation and there is a reason why clubs almost never force a player to go back to the draft.

Magpie Russ Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 11:33 am

The Black and White Lion wrote:

We will find out more this Thursday with Cameron (concussion) and Hawkins (managed) missing from the Geelong line up.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 1:37 pm

Bucks5 wrote:

IIRC though, he didn't request the trade until after we'd signed McStay.

I think you're right, add to that he was a fringe player with us who saw us just recruit a KPF and there's more incentive to leave.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 1:57 pm

Magpie Russ wrote:
We will find out more this Thursday with Cameron (concussion) and Hawkins (managed) missing from the Geelong line up.

Ooh, against GCS in Cairns?
GCS backline will love these two Geebung rock apes missing from attack.

Gary Rowan must be due to pull another hammy shortly too?

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 2:41 pm

If O Henry hadn't left would we have got Tom Mitchell? Tom Mitchell did ok in the Grand Final as I recall.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 4:08 pm

All good additions to the discussion. Not trying to rewrite history, and it feels like our list is continuing to develop in positive ways - just would love to have been a fly on Fly's wall...

Yes Mitchell has been great for us and he will be a watch in Darwin this week for sure.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 10:05 pm

Had lunch with an ole friend today who told me that we are into McCluggage in a massive way.
He’s friends with Lipinski (knows Josh D as well) and Lipinski has been singing the praises of the club to him if he decides to leave Brisbane.
Rumour is if he comes to Victoria we will be his club of choice.
Club hasn’t made a “formal” offer but has apparently indicated to his management that we have 6 year deal at over $1 a year waiting if he’s interested.
We mightn’t offer the most $$$$ but he’s still keen to go to a club with a premiership chance and he likes the way we play.
He would be huge get for us
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:33 am

I had Stevo marked as a 10+ year gem in our side, but I was wrong on all counts.

I don't wish to make light of a trade loss(A Tr), but this is footy. Is OHenry really irreplaceable? Him or Bayley Fritsch?

I can't think of any 'bad' trades haunting me.

We have our wins too. Bobby has done ok, and many others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 66 of 67   

Jump to: