Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ryan Lonie... What is his best position???

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daicos from the boundry 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

One word WING.Attacking wing.Yes his body work has improved but we need hardness in the middle as a team.Open space where he can use his skills.
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:41 pm

Cam wrote:
Ryan's body language is different from last year. He is being more assertive with his runs, more physical with his contests, his whole facial demeanor when he succeeds/fails/whatever seems to be more relaxed and mature... I think he may have turned the corner. Probably his brother getting shipped out, and Woey getting the chop may have snapped him out of his past reality and showed him the way into his 'seemingly' present one. It's all good so far. May it continue.

Exactly exactly exactly.

I still think he shirks contests on occaison, not tackling another player, but going for the ball if he may get tackled or bumped.
But im prepared to accept that if he plays like he did today.
We may just have to accept he is a bit of a receiver like a Luke Power rather than an attacker of the ball like Licuria, and play him to his strengths. Afterall there is no more dangerous player to receive a handball on the run, 60m out from goal than Lonie.

Like someone said earlier, he needs to play on the wing, and when he can see theres a guy taken a mark outside 50 is a bit iffy as to teh range, he needs run and receive the handball and go for the goal himself.

Gold Star Lonie, nice work today.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:48 am

Just want to commend Lones on one more thing - 6 tackles for the day. His highest tally since 2003 (7 against Geelong in round 3 @ the MCG). An unheard of stat a few years back. Well done, Ryan.Smile
jimbeam 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:40 am

how harsh are ppl on lones another reason why we can improve this year, a good player with solid set of skills and a deadly accurate left foot.. play him on the wing and let him do whatever he wants.. upgrade his engine and he can play loose RR and swap with bucks dids ect off the wing randomly to cause the opposition headaches.
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:44 am

I dont care where he plays but make sure hes gettin the pill long to Rocca
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:49 am

Great to see Lonie back in form over the weekend!
He will give opposition coaches something to think about if he continues to gather disposals, which helps us in many ways!!!!!!!!.... although he is still soft
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:50 am

Johnson#26 wrote:
Just want to commend Lones on one more thing - 6 tackles for the day. His highest tally since 2003 (7 against Geelong in round 3 @ the MCG). An unheard of stat a few years back. Well done, Ryan.Smile

Yep thats because he lets his opponent get the ball first then tackles which a couple of times resulted on hawks shots on goal.
Instead of getting the ball drawing the tackle , then giving off the hands to a player in support which would then have the field of play opened up.

He played well though other than that, but it does hurt the team thats all I'm saying.
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:40 am

Lonie has been our best player this year so far according to the stats.

Champion data has him as our top ranked player with 286 points so far for the season. remember, this takes everything into account, including tackles and clangers etc not just junk possesions.

Hope he keeps it up Smile

Last edited by punkologist on Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
loki04 Leo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:00 am

punkologist wrote:
Lonie has been our best player this year so far according to the stats.

Champion data has him as our top ranked player with 286 points so far for the season. rememebr, this takes everyting into account, including tackles and clangers etc not just junk possesions.

Hope he keeps it up Smile

things like what i was saying don't show as a clanger because technically its not, it shows as a tackle but really it's soft dumb footy.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:46 pm

Quote:

Yep thats because he lets his opponent get the ball first then tackles which a couple of times resulted on hawks shots on goal.
Instead of getting the ball drawing the tackle , then giving off the hands to a player in support which would then have the field of play opened up.

A little bit harsh I'd have thought.
Cakewalk 

For a minute there I lost myself , I lost myself

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:55 pm

Zakal wrote:
Cam wrote:
Ryan's body language is different from last year. He is being more assertive with his runs, more physical with his contests, his whole facial demeanor when he succeeds/fails/whatever seems to be more relaxed and mature... I think he may have turned the corner. Probably his brother getting shipped out, and Woey getting the chop may have snapped him out of his past reality and showed him the way into his 'seemingly' present one. It's all good so far. May it continue.

Exactly exactly exactly.

I still think he shirks contests on occaison, not tackling another player, but going for the ball if he may get tackled or bumped.
But im prepared to accept that if he plays like he did today.
We may just have to accept he is a bit of a receiver like a Luke Power rather than an attacker of the ball like Licuria, and play him to his strengths. Afterall there is no more dangerous player to receive a handball on the run, 60m out from goal than Lonie.

Like someone said earlier, he needs to play on the wing, and when he can see theres a guy taken a mark outside 50 is a bit iffy as to teh range, he needs run and receive the handball and go for the goal himself.

Gold Star Lonie, nice work today.

Luke Power may at times receive , but he also scrimmages his own ball with ferocity and dishes out to the runners.

DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:57 pm

Every team has outsiders. Lonie is a lot bigger than midfielders like Power, Cousins, Fletcher, Edwardes, Licuria etc which makes him poor below his knees. His height however makes him faster than most, and makes him kick it that extra 10 metres that others cant off a step. His power is to receive.

Deadset, why do we want him at the bottom of a pack when you have players like O'Bree, Licuria, Johnson, Burns, Swan to do that. Lonie has every right to stay outside and wait for feed because he can kick it better than anyone mentioned.

He has really improved his marking and can now really play accountable footy which is great. He is not as tough as most, but we need him this year.

This is by far his best game in quite a while....but i think he has been consistently improving for quite a while now. He hasnt played a bad game yet this year and before he got injured last year his form was improving. Is kicking a goal a game and earning a fair bit of the ball.

Credit where credit is due

loki04 Leo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:31 pm

I wish i could cut footage out of a game to show you what I mean it's not that we want him on the bottom of a pack it's the open space pull out of the contest I'm on a bout.

Either way I'VE got a gut full of piss (because my brother has come to stay haven't seen him in ages) and I am sick of letting players off for things that "WE" wouldn't get away with in our local league.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:42 pm

Lonie will never run through and shirtfront an opponent, because it's not part of his makeup. He'll never be a tough player, but he is certainly much more aggressive at the ball than he's ever been, and he adds some real class across the mid-field. He, Swanny, Johnno, and possibly Richards, are the stand out improvers so far this year. I'm hoping that Leon and Jason Cloke will soon follow suit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9   

Jump to: