Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies fan ejected for racism

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Troppo, Quadrant? Really? Are you with the IPA or something? Shocked

Don't you knock Quadrant Wink

We actually won a Warterman Fountain pen when I subscribed years ago (early 1990's) when Robert Manne was Editor (before they sacked him over his views on dare I say: Aboriginies)

That was for 12 months all those years ago. Rabid right Rag.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:53 am

Yep, I'm guessing it might have been worth reading under a Manne editorship. I'm all for contrarian writing, and I don't care about political labels, but modern Quadrant is just boring and predictable.

PP, that is a bizarre comment from McGuire. What on earth was he even trying to say? Al McAlister lives!

Last edited by David on Wed May 29, 2013 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
mattys123 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:54 am

I sort of get what Ed was getting at this morning but he went about it in entirely the wrong way, and will be bagged mercilessly because of it, and rightfully so.

My take on Ed's comments was he was trying to make out how in the old days the likes of Lou Richards or Jack Dyer would take something controversial and make a media performance out of it, but when it comes to racism you can't joke, Ed should know that.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:58 am

Eddie what a GOOSE
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:01 am

I don't agree at all that you can't joke about racism. There shouldn't be any taboo subjects in comedy. But a) Eddie's proximity to the incident, b) his not exactly clearly-defined role as a comedian and c) the staggeringly poor and tasteless quality of the joke to begin with... they all kind of make me wonder WTF he was thinking.

Still, I hate these media-reporting-on-media beat-ups, so I hope whoever may be offended accepts his (undoubtedly swift and sincere) retraction and we can all move on. The less oxygen this gets, the better.

Last edited by David on Wed May 29, 2013 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:03 am

Oh this world.... This prescious, prescious little world....
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:47 am

Ed. Bloody hell. The media are already having a field day.
Troppo 

standing on VB tins in the outer at Vic Park

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:48 am
Post subject: ... and now Heritier is being abused for using the Fat-wordReply with quote

Oh, lordy,lordy, when will the PC boll weevils cease their endless inanities?

(http://theconversation.com/sticks-and-stones-which-words-are-banned-in-sport-and-why-14483)

Collingwood football player, Harry OBrien, recently tweeted that he didnt call Geelongs Tom Hawkins a $$%^%%$ fag during a hotly contested match:

Just to clear something up..Id never resort to a homophobic slur..for those wanting to know, I said fat ****..simply some onfield banter.

OBrien is clearly comfortable using fat as an insult, and confident that it will be OK with the wider public. Last year St Kilda player Stephen Milne was fined $3000 by the St Kilda football club after an AFL investigation for calling OBrien a $$%^%%$ homo during a game. At that time, OBrien commented that he has used such slurs and that homophobic slurs are fairly common, but that the AFL educates players not to use them.

However, it seems that size-related slurs are accepted and deemed acceptable by the AFL. The problem here lies partially with O'Briens original insult, and partially with the follow-up. The AFL and the media have generally accepted that it is fine to use fat as an insult.

Can you just imagine Whale Roberts slinking off the ground having his obesity ridiculed by the oppo - and weren't some of our boys more than a little partial to the odd sausage roll? What a load of ordure!!

Heritier.jpg

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:49 am

burnsy17 wrote:
Oh this world.... This prescious, prescious little world....

Things were so much better in the good ol' days when we could do and say whatever we wanted

www.myallcreekmassacre.com

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:58 am

Proud Pies wrote:
and Eddie said a similar racist thing on Triple M this morning:

Quote:
EDDIE McGuire has said on radio it would be a good idea to get Adam Goodes in town to promote the new King Kong musical.

The controversial comment came while McGuire was speaking with Luke Darcy on Triple M's Hot Breakfast show this morning.

Darcy was talking about the new musical. "What a great promo that is, for King Kong," he said.

To which McGuire replied: "Get Adam Goodes down for it, d'you reckon?"

"No, I wouldn't have thought so," was the response from Darcy.

McGuire went on, stumbling over his words: "You can see them doing that, can't you? Goodesy. You know, the big, not the ape thing the whole thing, I'm just saying the pumping him up and mucking around and that sort of stuff."

McGuire, the president of the Collingwood Football Club, has apologised and labelled the comment a joke.

really Eddie? really? i'm dumbfounded.

I was listening this morning & could not believe what I heard. Stupidity at the highest level. Regardless of the intentions, he had a massive case of foot in mouth. Handled himself beautifully on Saturday night & may have just undone it all with this mornings comments.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:02 pm

The AFL must act immediately to bring in mandatory drug testing for club presidents.
slydog81 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Yep, Ed's made a massive blue today

That adealide bloke got sacked for something similar.

ed's in strife

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:15 pm

and now it's been updated further

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/eddie-mcguire-makes-on-air-gaffe-about-adam-goodes-and-king-kong/story-fni0xqrb-1226652776987

Quote:
ADAM Goodes has tweeted "look what I've woken up to" after Eddie McGuire made an on-air gaffe about using the footballer to promote the King Kong musical.

McGuire was quick to apologise for his comments on Triple M this morning.

The gaffe comes just five days after McGuire was the first man to apologise to Goodes after a 13-year-old fan called the star Sydney Swans AFL player an ape at Friday night's Swans and Collingwood match.

McGuire, the Collingwood Football Club president, was roundly applauded for the manner in which he swiftly handled the scandal.

Today he appears to have undone all that good work mentioning Goodes and the giant ape in the same conversation.

Morning Australia this is what I have woken up to. afl.com.au/news/2013-05-2#racismitstopswithme #bigweekinfooty #
Adam Goodes (@adamroy37) May 29, 2013

The controversial comment came while McGuire was speaking with co-host Luke Darcy on Triple M's Hot Breakfast show this morning.

Darcy was talking about how a huge gorilla hand protruding from from the Eureka Skydeck in Melbourne was a "great promo" for the musical.

"What a great promo that is, for King Kong," Darcy said.

To which McGuire replied: "Get Adam Goodes down for it, d'you reckon?"

"No, I wouldn't have thought so," was the response from Darcy.

McGuire went on, stumbling over his words: "You can see them doing that, can't you? Goodesy. You know, the big, not the ape thing the whole thing, I'm just saying the pumping him up and mucking around and that sort of stuff."

He then said: "Just to clear up, when we were talking about King Kong there and I was mumbling my way through about Goodesy, I was trying to say 'Imagine the old days of trying to get people in for publicity' and I've mumbled my way through that so anyone who thought that I was having a go or being a smart alec I take that back."

Darcy: "Yeah. Not sure where you were going there."

McGuire: "Nah, neither did I halfway there I was that exhausted this morning, so apologies to that."

"But I was thinking you know in the old days in these situations the publicity and that type of thing. I was off on a tangent somewhere.

"Just in case people are thinking 'What the hell's he on about', I have no idea either."

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:21 pm

slydog81 wrote:
Yep, Ed's made a massive blue today

That adealide bloke got sacked for something similar.

ed's in strife

Is that the Adelaide bloke we subsequently appointed to our recruitment team?
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:50 pm

Frightened 13-year-old hunted by a pack of wolves

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/frightened-13-year-old-hunted-by-a-pack-of-wolves/story-e6frf7jo-1226652529142

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 46 of 55   

Jump to: