Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Goodbye Dolly Gray

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The archives committee will surely know. I was lucky enough to take a tour of their old offace with one of the committe members at Victoria Park back in 2003. It was fantastic down there - so many Magpie posters, trophys, lockers and more. It was just brilliant, and I hope all of their members are well looked after in the move to Lexus. This area near the old Sherrin Stand was damaged by server floods back in late 2003. I certainly hope their area wasn't badly damaged.
Go_The_Mighty_Magpies Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:42 pm

It's so strange to hear the song in it's original form. It's such a sad song which is weird to listen to as a song about war when the tune has always been something I've only ever associated with happiness.
Colin Alexander Leo

The great man and I

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:19 pm

Go_The_Mighty_Magpies wrote:
It's so strange to hear the song in it's original form. It's such a sad song which is weird to listen to as a song about war when the tune has always been something I've only ever associated with happiness.

I got that exact same feeling. The guy that wrote it must be rolling in his grave every time we win and there's 40 odd thousand delirious fans singing the tune with absolute joy.
Wow, what a history lesson. The whole Cuthbert Collingwood thing freaked me out! How ironic. Its posts like these that make me glad that i've discovered this site. You wouldn't find shit like this on the official site. Fantastic stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:23 pm

That's because the supporters know better than anyone else what really interests other supporters. That is the best part of bulliten boards for sure.
the president Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:02 pm
Post subject: our songReply with quote

For the trivia minded, "Which AFL club's theme song is played during an Acadamy award winning movie?"
The answer after the break.
Collingwood of course!
The movie, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" starring Robert Redford and Paul Newman.
The scene, appropriately or not, is when the boys are sitting on the balcony of a bordello and in the background you hear the mighty strains of "Goodbye Dolly Grey."
The producers wanted to play Good Old Collingwood Forever but couldn't get the rights! Well maybe not.
Get down to the video store, not only a great movie but a wonderful soundtrack. Much better than the signature tune "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head." In my opinion anyway.
Eddie.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:17 pm

Cheers Ed, I might check that out.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:13 am

Good point Greg J, and wasnt the Spanish American war somehow part of the Butch/Sundance film?

It was San Juan hill that Teddy & his rough-riders rode up BTW,
(and no, I didnt phone a friend!Smile)

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
lsdswooper 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:51 am

Can someone confirm??

Should it be "hear the barrackers are shouting" instead of "see the barrackers are shouting"

the verb 'hear' makes sense to the adjective of barrackers shouting" as one would obviously hears barrackers shouting.

I think the players sing this after a win...listen carefully next time.

Whereas i'm sure the supporters sing "see" again listen next monday.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:17 am

35forever wrote:
Ah but when did it become 'our' song?

Where's MMF when you need him? He woulda been at the first singin of it!

35forever wrote:

What the hell IS a cakewalk,anyway? I mean obviously it means something ridiculously easy (as winning premierships is for us! - HAH!!!!), but whats the actual derivation?

From http://www.word-detective.com/

Quote:
I was just reading an article about our recent (current?) war. The article quoted a British soldier, who said that the American government had "expected a cakewalk -- that's the American term, isn't it?" Of course I wondered how and where this term may have arisen. Is it, in fact, American? -- Adam Hertz, San Francisco.

Yes indeed, "cakewalk" is an American invention, meaning "a very easy victory against little or no real opposition." (Incidentally, for the benefit of readers who stumble across this column in the months or years to come, the war Mr. Hertz is referring to is the one in Iraq.)

I've never understood why folks back in the 19th century spread the word that the streets of America were "paved with gold," as it's likely that we'd have attracted even more immigrants had we claimed cake as our national pavement. Cake has been a synonym for something good or easy since ancient Egypt, when mummies were often interred with a doggie bag of cakes and ale, and "cakes and ale" is still common shorthand for "the good life" in Britain. Not even Marie Antoinette's (probably apocryphal) rejoinder to the news that her subjects could not afford bread, "Then let them eat cake," dampened our love affair with a good slice of cake.

Cake is so popular, in fact, that it has long served as a prize awarded to the winner of all sorts of competitions, giving rise to the 19th century expression "take the cake." Originally simply meaning "to win," "take the cake" now is usually used sarcastically to mean "to be an outrageous example of something bad" (as in "Ken Lay filing for unemployment takes the cake").

One kind of contest popular in the African-American community in the 19th century was the "cakewalk," in which couples competed strolling arm in arm, with the prize, a cake, being awarded to the most graceful and stylish team.

Since "cakewalking" demanded both skill and grace, victory in the contest was rarely a "cakewalk" in our modern "easy" sense. That modern use of "cakewalk" in the came from the boxing ring, where a very easy victory over an outclassed opponent was likened to a refined "cakewalk" compared to the ordinarily prolonged and brutal nature of the matches. By 1877, "cakewalk" had graduated from the boxing ring and acquired its general meaning of "an effortless victory."

Incidentally, the term "piece of cake," meaning "something easily accomplished," has only been traced back to the 1940s, and there is no apparent direct connection with "cakewalk." "Piece of cake" originally simply meant "something good," which cake certainly is.

or http://www.takeourword.com

Quote:
cakewalk, which originally referred to a promenade contest of the late 19th century in America, especially among blacks. The couple displaying the best walk won a cake as a prize. The word came to refer soon thereafter to a kind of dance, and then it was used more figuratively to refer to anything that was stylish yet easy to do. By Ogden Nash's time it had been transformed to a piece of cake, though cakewalk survived with the same meaning. Both terms, in fact, were used by the RAF during World War II.
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:35 pm

stoliboy wrote:
35forever wrote:
Ah but when did it become 'our' song? Clearly there must have been a Collingwood years before 'Good old Collingwood forever' (Which I guess makes sense, for it could hardly have been 'old' in 1901). Hard to imagine, isnt it? I guess they must've stood in a circle & shouted some rousing 'huzzar!'s, for lack of a song to sing! hehe.

Maybe we should ask Glenn Brown from the Collingwood archives committee if he knows when 'Good Bye Dolly Gray' became the music for our song.

I will e-mail the club and see if we can find out.

Ben Smile

The music of the chorus of Goodbye Dolly Gray was used and given new words in 1906 by 3 game player Thomas Nelson for our beloved song. Nelson's three games were all played in 1906.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:40 pm

Quite possibly the biggest difference ever made by a 3 game player!

BTW, while 'hear' certainly makes more grammatical sense, I've always sung 'see', and certainly one can see barrackers shouting (especially given the sign language our blokes often use by way of illustration! - strictly to aid the hearing impaired of course!).

Another thing though, is it ...barrackers 'are' shouting, or ...barrackers a-shouting? Not that I'm being pedantic, mind you!!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:55 pm

I finally got a response from the Collingwood Football Club Archives Department about the origins of 'Goodbye Dolly Gray' and Collingwood.

Here is the e-mail from Joyce Draper (Secretary - CFC Archive Committee)

Quote:
Goodbye Dolly Gray was a song about a soldier leaving for the Boer War. In 1906 a former Collingwood player, Thomas Nelson, put new words to it – and it has been the Club’s official song ever since.

(Information researched by Tom Wanliss, Archivist).

Joyce Draper
Secretary
CFC Archive Committee

I had a look at the 'Collingwood Encyclopedia' and the 'Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers' and the only information they seem to have on Thomas Nelson is this:

Thomas Nelson: (1906 season), 3 games, 0 goals. He was also the 119th person to play for Collingwood.

What a great legacy to leave the club for a player that only played 3 games Smile

Ben Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:07 pm

35forever wrote:
Another thing though, is it ...barrackers 'are' shouting, or ...barrackers a-shouting? Not that I'm being pedantic, mind you!!

One thing i've often wondered, in our song the word 'premiership' is pronounced 'prem-ier-ship' and in Essendons it's prounounced 'pree-mier-ship'. As it's sung by the same guy it kinda bugs me. Confused

lethalburns Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:03 pm

I remember watching a western with dad as a young lad...

The chorus came on and my eyes lit up.... I was certain the words out of their mouth would be "Good old Collingwood forever".

It was a major anti-climax when that did not happen. You can imagine how excited I got when a bunch of gun-slingers were about to fire up our song Smile

For a whole 30 seconds I actually thought our theme song had been stolen hehehe.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:10 am

35forever wrote:

OK kids, who's got the SECOND best & worst song? I hafta admit mild partiality to Hawthorn's as it was my old team's song, and I kinda like the new bits North Melbourne have added to theirs.

Sorry but for pure singability, lyrics, tune and crowd interactivity the Tiges have the best song. Carlton's is without a doubt the worst.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: