Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tom Hafey all over again.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:10 pm
Post subject: Tom Hafey all over again.Reply with quote

I'm too young (or is that just not quite old enough) to remember the Hafey years but from what I hear this is essentially history repeating itself. A coach who enjoyed enormous success/popularity but unable to bring the big prize being run out of town. The criticisms of both men (Malthouse and Hafey) are even scarily similar. Tactically inept, gruff and stubborn, mistraining the players (Hafey overtraining, Mick not training strength/skills enough).

Maybe someone from the era could better make a comparison but if we lose 9 straight I reckon Mick will head the same way. If he's replaced by an ex SANFL player from Port Adelaide then things are getting really weird.
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even close,Tom was sacked mainly by the actions of a sooky player named Peter Moore,..then the dog went to Melb anyway,..some ppl forget ,I dont, and no one should.
I would take TOM over MM any day of the week.

Last edited by BHPIE on Wed May 20, 2009 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:45 pm

What would make you tack TOM over MM any day of the week?
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:54 pm

Tom was a great Coach. As said in a post he was basically forced out. The similarities to MM lies in the ability to draw out the best of his playing group.

The whole period when the Club went throught the turmoil was a tragic part of our History. Tom like MM was/is unlucky not to have a Cup or 2 under his name as Coach of the CFC.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
On the March 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:34 pm

i posted this before..the similarities are there but i'm not talking coaching style. it could well end in tears
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:57 pm

Ex SANFL player for Port Adelaide? ... Yeah, you forgot to mention that he wore the Collingwood jumper with pride and actually Captained our great footy club. You were talking about Chocco, right?

As for the comparisons with T-Shirt Tommy and MM. Well ,I have to tell you, as much as Mick has done for the club, I would have had Tommy at his peak in a heartbeat. Im fairly sure his winning/ coaching stats would fair much better than Micks.

sq3 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:04 pm

Bux played for Port as a very young player - Flag, Foss Williams and Magarey medals all in the same year.
WITTY 35 DAICOS MAGIC 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:18 pm
Post subject: Re: Tom Hafey all over again.Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
I'm too young (or is that just not quite old enough) to remember the Hafey years but from what I hear this is essentially history repeating itself. A coach who enjoyed enormous success/popularity but unable to bring the big prize being run out of town. The criticisms of both men (Malthouse and Hafey) are even scarily similar. Tactically inept, gruff and stubborn, mistraining the players (Hafey overtraining, Mick not training strength/skills enough).

Maybe someone from the era could better make a comparison but if we lose 9 straight I reckon Mick will head the same way. If he's replaced by an ex SANFL player from Port Adelaide then things are getting really weird.

Kinda get the feeling,just like the movie THE CLUB, coach Laurie Holden is under pressure,3 wins form 8 games,A player brought to the club in Geoff Hayward,Promised the club the world,Was a dud,But Laurie pleaded and begged,got the team back on track,and they won the flag.

I see maybe malthouse in the same role,Maybe pull Ben reid aside,and plead and beg,but mmmm doubt the flag will be in the fairytale end.

But yeh,mick will be forced to play a hand he wishes wasnt dealt,if the results dont come.

DAICOS MAGIC 35
VINTAGE DARREN MILLANE 42
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:49 pm

magpie greg wrote:
No comparison whatsoever. Hafey's win loss ration killed Malthouse's ratio.

Love TH, he's an absolute legend, but again, that's an ahistorical cheap shot of an argument. You can't compare the capitalist VFL to the communist AFL. Why are people so insistent on perpetuating this mischievous logic?
optimax 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:15 pm

so mick will go to richmond and win flags and we struggle for another decade

Oh yay Rolling Eyes

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:21 pm

Tommy Hafey was an absolute fantastic coach, after all, you don't get a team into 4 grand finals in 5 years otherwise. However, the fact is, after those herculean efforts, both he and the playing group were exhausted and in need of separation from each other. Sometimes shit happens I'm afraid.

As for MM, I don't believe there is any significant disharmony within the playing group, nor a loss of faith in the coach. Nevertheless, I think MM has done all he can with the team, that his coaching has stagnated and there is sameness and staleness about our game plan and coaching philosophy. It's simply time for a change, and that should be capable of being accepted without the need to denigrate MM, who has been a very good coach.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:27 pm

Tommy was screwed by an administration that would not recruit/buy players.
It was the old play for the jumper mentality that cost Collingwood; players GF victories and huge pain for their supporters.
He showed loyalty to his players by leaving them in positions when they were getting beaten and refusing to drop players. In return many of them lifted in response to the loyalty.

MM shows loyalty and is criticised for not taking them off/dropping them.
At least Eddie will recruit/trade players.

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:08 pm

When Tommy was sacked he was replaced by former Collingwood and Richmond player Mick Erwin who was caretaker coach for the rest of the season. The ex-SANFL player who became coach that Wokko is referring to was John Cahill who was appointed by the New Magpies in 1983.

Several lessons here. Despite what Neil says the Hickey administration did buy players for Tommy, but some of the players e.g. Alan Davis at the end of his career or Richmond rejects Gerald Betts and Stephen Roach were not good buys. The Hickey administration did not spend as much as some other clubs at the time (Carlton) and were replaced by the New Magpies, Ranald Macdonald's team of businessmen who knew nothing about football and footballers who knew nothing about business. They proceeded to bring the club into massive debt, poor onfield performance and in-fighting. Their only significant acheivement was to poach David Cloke from Richmond and we didn't really benefit from that until we recruited Travis under the Father-Son Rules more than twenty years later.

Lesson - when you kick out the committee make sure that you don't vote in a worse one!

Tommy was a fantastic coach. He got the 1977 team into the Grand Final, when they were probably only the third best team in the comp, could probably have won the flag if Carman had controlled himself in the Second Semi and not been suspended. As it was we drew the Grand Final and lost the replay.

You all know why we lost in '79 (blind boundary umpire), we finished 1980 in 5th position and only got into the GF on courage and detirmination because injuries should have put us out by the First Semi,
and in 1981 at least part of the reason for our GF loss was interference by committee members. (read Tony Shaw's biography). Then in 1982 Hafey lost the players, particularly Peter Moore.

Lesson 2. If you appoint a top coach you have to give him 100% support and ensure that the players do likewise.

Lesson 3. Most Collingwood coaches since McHale have had more than their fair share of bad luck.

I don't think the club gained a thing by putting in Mick Erwin as caretaker coach. They still lost games and Mooore defected to Melbourne for megabucks as he would have done no matter who was coach.

Lesson 4 If you are going to sasck the coach (MM) do it at the end of the season and in the meantime give him and the players some support!!!

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:35 pm

magpie greg wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
magpie greg wrote:
No comparison whatsoever. Hafey's win loss ration killed Malthouse's ratio.

Love TH, he's an absolute legend, but again, that's an ahistorical cheap shot of an argument. You can't compare the capitalist VFL to the communist AFL. Why are people so insistent on perpetuating this mischievous logic?

I dont agree. Hafey didnt achieve his success ratio because Collingwood adopted capitalist principals. If anything the opposite was true.

Whereas any other coach in the current AFL who had a win loss ratio displayed by Malthouse would have been long gone. Sheedy maintained his average of @ 63% through the VFL and AFL days. Good coaches do.

Malthouse is at least one rung below coaches such as Sheedy, Barassi, Hafey, and Parkin.

Hafey didnt need a final 8 to make the finals.

I am with Turtle on this one. Malthouse's ratio in only slightly better than Shaw's whose ratio was artificially lowered in 99.

1. you can't compare ratios between the VFL and AFL - the draft, salary cap and powerful interstate sides = a huge loss of competitive advantage. I was being humorous with the capitalist/communist bit, though there's a lot of relevant truth in it. (Agree, TH is still a legend!)
2. the rest of your argument was not what I was responding to - note the bit I quoted! I am saying the first argument is clearly misleading. As I just said to another poster, were you trained by Mormons to change bad arguments mid-stream? Laughing
gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:11 pm

Hafey was replaced by a recently retired untried coach. A true champion of the game, one of the greatest players ever and he coached us to a flag.

Anyone know where we could find one of those?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: