Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gavin Brown Medal - call to all Nicksters!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:23 am
Post subject: Gavin Brown Medal - call to all Nicksters!Reply with quote

OK, I thought I'd bring this up now while I can.

As everyone should know, we have a voting thread open after each game. It is from these votes that the "Nick's BB/Gavin Brown Medal", an institution that is now in its fourth season, is awarded at the end of the year (the previous winners, for the record, were Dane Swan in 2006, Tarkyn Lockyer in 2007, and Swanny again last year).

Now, as much as it is fun to count up the votes and present them, and certainly something that I have no problem doing, the 'medal' still seems kind of hollow. Firstly, there is no actual 'medal', which renders the exercise a little meaningless, and secondly, the winning player is most likely not even aware that he has won.

Every year there is some discussion of getting a small plaque/trophy engraved and having it presented to the winner, and yet it never comes to fruition. Sure, it might not be in the same class as a Brownlow Medal or a Copeland Trophy, but the official 'player of the year' award on the biggest Collingwood fan site on the net has to count for something. Even the Pink Magpies supporters group managed to have some kind of function for their "Alan Didak Medal" a few years back, if I recall correctly. I'm not suggesting that we need to go to those lengths, but it would be nice for there to be some formal recognition of what is perhaps the only true supporters' award.

Reading through last year's thread (click here), there were several offers of cash from posters, which I'm sure would have easily been enough to purchase some kind of trophy or plaque. Yet, nothing happened, because nobody took charge and people lost interest/forgot about it.

Well, I'm determined that this year is going to be different. For one thing, I am finally in Melbourne, so I can take charge of the damn thing myself if I have to. Of course, outside help would be more than appreciated, and that is the purpose of this thread. Who wants to make this happen, and how are we going to go about it?

Cheers,
David.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, finals are included in the count, so we're still at least two weeks (and let's hope a good four) off announcing the winner. Gives us time to sort something out, anyway.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:19 am

I'll help - give me 24hrs to think on it, but off the top of my head we set up a bank account (or ask to use the sponsorship one), ask people to donate and then raffle off the opportunity to present the medal (club willing).

The cost of the medal itself will be driven by amount of donations, but I'd like to think that it was something "Nicksish". Not that I have any idea what that means...
fence-banger Aries

Zito Kypro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:29 am

Too early in the morning to think anything useful other than did I put the kettle on and has anyone fed the cat!

But definitely luv the idea David. I'm happy to donate some cashola, too. Will think on it some more .....

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:31 am

Thanks WPW, sounds great.
magpie1946 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:57 am

David,

Happy to make a cash contribution. Perhaps we could have a perpetual trophy with a smaller replica that is presented to the player (just a thought off the top of my head). Maybe for next year we could set up a method/system to count votes on an ongoing basis rather than someone have to troll through the numerous pages of votes at the end of the year.

MP46

Go Pies

STOKE THE STOVE COLLINGWOOD
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:21 pm

Thanks MP46, and interesting ideas. We could change things up a bit, although I've done it for the last two years now, and it really isn't too much of a chore. I did Rounds 1 through to 11 last night in a couple of hours - kind of weird, but I actually enjoy doing it. Razz
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:25 pm

magpie1946 wrote:
David,

Happy to make a cash contribution. Perhaps we could have a perpetual trophy with a smaller replica that is presented to the player (just a thought off the top of my head). Maybe for next year we could set up a method/system to count votes on an ongoing basis rather than someone have to troll through the numerous pages of votes at the end of the year.

MP46

Go Pies

and we can put the trophy in the cabinet that the pratt cup lives in after we've turfed that one to the tip.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:29 pm

+1!!!
magpie1946 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:30 pm

jmcp wrote:
magpie1946 wrote:
David,

MP46

Go Pies

and we can put the trophy in the cabinet that the pratt cup lives in after we've turfed that one to the tip.

I know that this topic has been done to death and whilst I hate the concept of the Pratt Cup, I think we should make sure that it stays in 'our' cabinet as long as our bumoles point to the ground.

STOKE THE STOVE COLLINGWOOD
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:31 pm

Well, let's put it in another one of 'our' cabinets that happens to be located at the bottom of the Mariana Trench. Razz
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:37 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
I'll help - give me 24hrs to think on it, but off the top of my head we set up a bank account (or ask to use the sponsorship one), ask people to donate and then raffle off the opportunity to present the medal (club willing).

The cost of the medal itself will be driven by amount of donations, but I'd like to think that it was something "Nicksish". Not that I have any idea what that means...

A start and good idea I think would be renaming the award to the "rowdy medal".

It would still pay homage to our former captain and champion Gavin Brown at the same time encapsulating some of the passion that can be found here on Nick's BB.

kambarker 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:59 am

Will put in some cash.............great idea Dave!
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:07 pm

I like it Dave and will certainly contribute my hard earned.

Would be nice to get some club support behind this idea as well.

Perhaps Eddie, Gary or Justin could drop an opinion! Smile

MONCO: Your life.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:50 pm

^ agreed. It certainly wouldn't hurt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: