Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

VFL 2011 Season Review

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:17 pm
Post subject: VFL 2011 Season ReviewReply with quote

We could have made finals if we had a little more luck.

We started the season by smashing the Dolphins down in Frankston. I was feeling confident that we could finish in the top 8, around 6th or 7th.

We went on to lose in a hard battle against the Bullants by roughly 4 goals. Still the signs were good.

Werribee and Bendigo completly smashed us in the next two rounds. We almost caught up to Bendigo after being down by almost ten goals. I think we got back to three goals before they went bang and kicked away in the last quarter. Two heavy losses which in a way we never recovered from.

Then we went on to have, imo, the highlight of Collingwood's VFL season. A one-point win over North Ballarat at Victoria Park. I only wish this game was televised as I'd like to have a copy of it. This was also the day I met Shae after the game.

After a bye we had a 4 point win in a freezing cold and sloppy day at Vic Park. We should have won by more, but in those conditions it was a good effort. Didnt like seeing an old favorite, Jaxson Barham, in the Geelong hoops.

Against Williamstown we put in another good effort only to be over run by the better team in the final quarter. It was a 5 goal loss in a game where we were close but just ran out of steam. Our boys would have learnt alot after this game.

Going into the Coburg game, I was feeling very confident considering the efforts against the Seagulls and the fact that Coburg were winless. However, after having a small lead, we were beaten by 39 points in a televised game. We should have taken the 4 points from this one. Dont know what went wrong?

Back at Vic Park, the Bullants just had too much fire power for us. I didnt enjoy this game as I felt like we were never in it. A 7 goal loss on a down day.

Against Casey, down near Crannie, it was another beautiful day on the televised game on ABC. Once again we were over run by a better side, but put in an ok effort, but went down by 42 points.

After our second bye, we headed to Sandringham were we sufferd a 5 goal loss, which looks like it could have been worse if Sandi had of kicked straight. I wasnt at this game as I was up in Sydney.

We headed down to Box Hill where, in the televised game, we were handed a heart breaking loss. Collingwood had this game in the bag and we let the Hawks back in with some silly desisions late in the game. We lost by 4 points after Box Hill kicked the last goal.

Against Port Melbourne we put in a good effort before they ran over us as expected. We were within a goal or two going into the last quarter, but they destroyed us by kicking goal after goal after goal. I grew a hatered for Port after this, as I thought their supporters were really terrible. A game within our grasp, but once again we couldnt run out the full game.

We headed out to the bush to play Williamstown. I felt like we could knock them off, but went down by about 5 goals. Sounded like the guys put in a good effort in the dark back jumper.

After our third bye, we headed back to Vic Park for a 5 goal win over Frankston.

With a slight finals chance still alive we went to Geelong, but lost by about 6 goals and saw our September hopes officially put to bed.

We came back to Vic Park to take on Bendigo. After leading by 7 odd goals, we ended up losing by under a goal after Bendigo kicked the last goal in the dying seconds. We should have won this one. Another shattering loss.

And ofcouse the final game of the year. Against Sandringham at Vic Park. Another loss by under a goal. Probably the worst loss of the year in a heartbreaking way.

So we finishe the year in 12th spot with 4 wins. 3 wins behind the Hawks in 8th spot. (They still have another game to play).

Looking back we really could have notched up a few more wins, especially those under-a-goal losses. We should have beated Sandringham, Bendigo and Coburg. And we could have won against Williamstown, Geelong and even Port Melbourne if we were able to run out the games.

I supose after losing such expierience such as O'Bree, Lockyer, etc, we were always going to struggle to run out games. But thats football.

For the VFL goers, that have seen the American flag, thanks to everyone that came over during the year to say hi.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The players:

AFL Seniors:

1. Leon Davis.
Played the first VFL game and was named BOG. Back into the seniors and hasnt looked back.

3. John McCarthy.
Played some great footy which saw him get a spot in the seniors several times in 2011. Played as VFL captain when K Pendles was out and is on the brink of Collingwoods 22. 10 games at VFL level this year and in the bests on 5 occasions. Still has time to impress and keep his spot.

6. Tyson Goldsack.
Like McCathy has played some good footy and earned a spot in the seniors which he's managed to keep for now. I feel like he cost us a goal late in the Box Hill game, but is certainly above VFL level. 9 games for 4 bests.

11. Jarryd Blair.
Only played the one game after being promoted off the rookie list, and winning a flag, in 2010. Was named in the best's in his single VFL game.

14. Luke Rounds.
Played well enough to earn a couple games at AFL level. 20 years old and will stuggle to stay in the 22 with the VFL season over. Should be at the club in 2012, but some have suggested he may be moved on. 12 VFL games for 4 bests.

18. Darren Jolly.
Just the one game, coming back from injury. Named BOG and into in the AFL after one game.

19. Cam Wood.
7 VFL games in 2011. Dominated in a couple of them. Played alot of AFL, but hard to keep in the side with Jolly fit. IMO, has earnt a spot in the side and would like to see him get some finals action. Infront of Keeffe, but different types. Will probably fly to Perth next week. Would see more AFL action at another club, but patience will eventualy see him take the #1 spot at Collingwood.

23. Lachlan Keeffe.
13 VFL games, 5 bests. Had a decent year which included a pre season premiership against Essendon. Dont think he is in Collingwoods best 22 at the moment, but should be retained going into 2012.

24. Josh Thomas.
Was injured throuhout the season, but finally got back and played seven games to close out the year. There's been some hype about this Qld boy and he would want to get a senior game in 2012. Would have seen AFL action already if he was at Gold Coast.

25. Tom Young.
Well I dont need to tell you about his debut game. He has been fantastic in the VFL, playing 16 games for 7 bests. He finally got a call up this week and should be playing against Freo as his debut was great. Will be around next year, but will probably make way for a more expierienced player in finals.

26. Ben Johnson.
Well what do you say? Played 4 games at VFL level for 2 bests. Obviously coming back from injury saw him play a couple in the VFL. Had an injury scare against Coburg but is back in the best 22 heading into finals.

27. Simon Buckley.
Just the two games at VFL level this year for Buckley. And very good in both of them. After getting several BOG's in last years VFL competition, Buckley managed some AFL action and is in the top 25 players at the club. Hopefully he'll play some good footy in the finals and really proove himself.

28. Ben Sinclair.
My old man is a huge wrap for this guy. Played only 6 games at VFL level, but still managed to earn a couple games in the AFL. May have had some injury set backs earlier in the year and would be expected to move aside when your Leon's, Krakouer's, Maxwell's return. A keeper. Will see more action in 2012.

29. John Ceglar.
Really like what I've seen from him. Can play in multiple positions. He'll be around next year for sure. 15 games in the VFL but had a minor set back late in the year. He returned for the final game of the year and should press for a senior game next season.

30. Brent MacAffer.
Had a tough run with injuries which kept him at VFL level. Is he in our best 22 when fit? Thats the question. Managed 4 AFL games and probably wont see any finals time in 2011. A Premiership player, should be there in 2012. 9 VFL games.

33. Brad Dick.
Hard to see him hold onto his spot after his horrid run with injuries. Been at the club for some time and may have suffered the Rusling desease. Did manage 3 games at AFL level, and who knows if he would have seen more? 23 years old, may find himself in new colours. 7 VFL games for 2 bests.

35. Alex Fasolo.
I love this kid. I think we all do now. Watching him at VFL level showed us that he was going to be a star. He's in the Pies best 22 at the moment and should be able to manage getting some finals time. He could be anything, watch this space. 9 VFL games in '11.

37. Kirk Ugle.
16 games for 8 bests. A Perth boy that should keep his spot. Looked like he had some friends from back home visit him after the game yesterday. 19 years old and I would say is one of the safest of the players that didnt see AFL time.

40. Paul Seedsman.
13 VFL games, 9 goals, 4 bests. Has been very, very good. Close to getting a senior game and I believe has been named an emergency a couple of times. He'll be kept for 2012.

41. Daniel Farmer.
15 VFL games for 11 goals. Showed a bit, but still has some work to do. Hasnt managed an AFL game yet, but 2012 will present an opportunity if he works hard enough. Although some have suggested he may be delisted.

43. Trent Stubbs.
Yet another NSW player. Only played 6 games for two goals. I believe he had some troublesome injuries which kept him out of the team.

AFL Rookies:

38. Scott Reed.
In a little bit of trouble. 3rd year at the club on the rookie list. Only missed one game in the VFL. Had 3 bests but hasnt seen any AFL action yet. Still only 20 years old, but has been around the longest of all the rookies. Has played some good games at VFL level. If he was let go, i'd expect a lower placed team or GWS to take him. (He is from NSW).

44. Tom Gordon.
Played all 18 games. Persist with him.

46. Declan Riley.
15 VFL games for 16 goals. Has shown enough to stay imo, but ended the year quietly. Still has alot of work to do.

47. Jack Perham.
18 VFL games for 12 goals. A Perth boy that played some good games but didnt manage to get in the bests after playing every game of the year. 20 years old. Dont know if he'll be kept, but might want to be back in Perth? Could see him in the WAFL next year?

48. Jye Bolton.
Had a little bit of hype for a rookie drafted player. Played 16 games for 6 bests. He was very good at the start of the year, had a little dry patch, but finished off the year well. IMO, he showed enough to keep his spot.

49. Paul Cribbin.
12 games and 3 bests. The 19 year old Irish recruit was in his first year so he'll be around next year. I think you're aloud to have 2 international rookies on your list so he and Shae should be ok unless Marty comes back.

50. Shae McNamara.
Played all 18 games for 5 goals and 3 bests. Unusual situation here as his two year contract and visa is up. I think Collingwood will have the option to extend his contract by one year, which if true, they will take. Has had a good year and has come a long way in his development. Would seem a waste to let it all go down the drain now. Could have been given a game in the seniors infront of Keeffe imo. A chance to get a game against Freo.

VFL Listed:

51. Kris Pendlebury.
The captain. Has been fantastic. Played on some big names including Fevola, Hall & Kruzuer. And he did well on all of them too. Only missed one game. Surly he has impressed enough to earn a call up to AFL level. GWS seems his most likly destination, but i'd like to see him go to an established club. We'll be looking for a new captain next year. Good on ya Kris!!

52. Rohan Frost.
A fan favorite in previous years. Was thought to be a draft chance last year. However, didnt play any VFL games as it seems he has given up on his AFL dream and focused on other things. Wont be on the list next year.

53. Jack Bull.
12 VFL games for this absolute fighter. I think he's a chance to be rookie drafted by someone. 20 years old and named in the best's 5 times. Would love to see him remain at the 'Pies if he is overlooked in the draft.

54. Tom Sundberg.
Easily the best of the non-AFL players. Had another fantastic year. Expect to see him on an AFL list next year. Played 13 games for 11 bests. Cant wait to see where he ends up.

55. Brett Eddy.
8 VFL games in 2011. 22 years old and has a chance to be drafted by an AFL club in November. Hard to see him at Collingwood in 2012. Wish him the best.

56. Tom Couch.
Played some good games I thought. 12 games, 12 goals, 2 bests. Would love to see him around the club in 2012. In a way he was a swap for Jaxson Barham who went to Geelong. I like him alot. He's 23 and has given himself a slight slight chance to get rookie drafted. I'd think about offering him the captaincy if Pendles goes. Shocked

57. Rob Condy.
12 games, 2 goals and seven bests. Has given himself a chance to be drafted. 23 years old, but seven bests from 12 games is a good effort. One of the populer non-AFL listed players.

58. James Tran.
Played his debut in the final round. He was very good and I think will see more VFL games for the 'Pies next year.

59. Pat Hayes.
21 years old. Played 3 games for the VFL side. Could be elsewhere in 2012.

60. Pat Liston.
19 years old. Played seven games. If there is no takers in the draft, I think he'll remain at Collingwood.

61. Jake Walsh.
Played one game, mid year against Casey. Dont think we'll see him again.

62. Adam Boshnevski.
Didnt get a call up in 2011.

63. Corey Millard.
Only the one game. In the final round against Sandringham. Is a Dandy boy. Dont know much about him, but could find himself elsewhere next year.

64. David Folino.
23 years old. Saw 7 VFL games as one of the more populer non-AFL listed players. Gave himself a chance to be seen. Would be ideal for a club that isnt aligned with an AFL team.

65. Axel Childs.
Only the one game which was in the final round. 19 years old and may look at other VFL clubs in 2012.

[b]66. Aaron Sharpe.

67. Kalem Post.
I remember seeing him and thinking, who is that guy in #67? Managed to play 3 VFL games, including the one point win over the Roosters. Would benefit playing at a club not aligned with an AFL team. Doubtful that he'll be here in 2012.

68. Davor Lucevic.

70. Matt Hine.

71. Tyson Hunt.

72. Rocky Collins.

?. Lachlan Smith.
Dont know much about him. Played in two games. DTM might be able to shed some light?

?. Pat Wearden.
3 VFL games. Bat? Another one that DTM or the Bat might be able to help with.

Scolarship Players
18. Jarrod Witts.
Wow what a monster. 4 games late in the year and in the bests in 2 of them. Will be promoted and be officially on our AFL list next season. As long as GWS dont try to pinch him from us. Could be anything.

?. Michael Hartley.
NSW Scolarship player. Played 4 games. Dont know much about him.

Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:44 pm

with frost he couldn't play this year as he was doing year 12 and he wanted to concentrate on doing his studies and that's why he was put on the vfl rookie list.

also there is another player called rocky collins. he is from thomastown from the games i saw him play last year at thomo he can be a good player he just needs to get a game in the side (which was hard coz of the players on the pies main list)

but yea thats a good summary of all the players that played.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:04 pm

GWS can't Pinch Witts
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:07 pm

witts is ours. we get to put him on senior list at draft day
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Presti#1Fan wrote:
The players:

?. Pat Wearden.
3 VFL games. Bat? Another one that DTM or the Bat might be able to help with.

I am vengeance. I am the night. I... am... a Collingwood supporter!

Patrick Wearden is a player from our TAC Cup affiliate side, the Murray Bushrangers. He has played 3 matches this season for Collingwood under the 23rd man rule, which allows for VFL sides to play a 23rd player from their TAC Cup affiliate.

Wearden has played 14 matches this season for the Bushies, notching up a modest 8 goals in total. He also played for them last year in 9 matches, also scoring 8 goals.

davo.hib 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:19 am
Post subject: 2011 DraftReply with quote

Who out of the VFL listed players are in for a chance of being drafted this year?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:09 pm

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/121852/default.aspx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: