Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Another one for the bleeding hearts!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fatboy 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David, don't try to solve the worlds problems, you cant!
Ive been where you are now, at the end it gets exhausting, the Human Race is destined for extinction, we will do it to our selves, we just dont learn, why?
Because i believe we dont live long enough, all people, even tyrants, humble with time.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:19 pm

thus spoke Zarrathustra.
pardon my german.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:25 pm

David wrote:
5150 wrote:
think positive wrote:
Yes, for being too soft.

The first, those people should not be parents.

My dad beat the crap out of me, and my mum and one of my sisters, he still thinks it was OUR fault. We deserved it.

My dad should not have had kids...

So exactly what crimes are you in favor of Strong sentencing for, that's got me really curious David! Wink

Returning an Italian art house video late and not rewound. Very Happy

Laughing very funny.

Seriously, I'm in favour of strong sentencing on violent crime, including murder, manslaughter, assault, aggravated rape, etc. We as citizens must have the right to bodily protection, first and foremost, and rigorously upheld laws that provide a strong deterrent and rehabilitative function are a crucial part of that.

Secondly, I want serious policing of organised crime. I want to live in a democracy, not a Darwinist dystopia.

Otherwise, there are a number of crimes (theft, etc) that need to be dealt with punitively, but I trust our legal system to provide appropriate sentencing for.

I'm not sure how I feel about jail sentences in general, but that has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a bleeding heart lefty (Wink). The question for me is whether jail actually works or whether it just provides a training ground for criminals and serves little rehabilitative function. I think our current justice system recognises that and is moving in the right direction, whatever the tabloids say. Still, there's a need for jail of some sort as long as there's a need to remove dangerous people from society for a time. Unfortunately, I think that need will probably always exist.

interesting. why aggravated rape, why not rape? is there much difference?

about those dangerous ones training the others, we could just kill them all!

solved!! Laughing Wink

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:31 pm

Fatboy wrote:
David, don't try to solve the worlds problems, you cant!
Ive been where you are now, at the end it gets exhausting, the Human Race is destined for extinction, we will do it to our selves, we just dont learn, why?
Because i believe we dont live long enough, all people, even tyrants, humble with time.

I'm sorry you got so jaded. The fact is, though, that there are people fighting to change it. The gay rights movement; Wikileaks; Arab uprising; women's suffrage; civil rights; those who fought for democracy and freedom of the press centuries ago. Whether you support those movements or not, people's lives have changed because of it. There's a reason why we live in a country where we can express ourselves freely on a board like this, not be tortured in a religious inquisition, not be executed for being gay, not be spat upon for being of a different ethnic heritage. All these things happened because people fought for it. You may have given up, but a lot of people haven't.

David Libra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:39 pm

think positive wrote:
interesting. why aggravated rape, why not rape? is there much difference?

about those dangerous ones training the others, we could just kill them all!

solved!! Laughing Wink

Aggravated rape is specifically violent rape, which is why I threw it in the first category. Obviously all rape needs to be policed though.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Tell me more about your father.
David Libra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:44 pm

Evil or Very Mad

WTF Hal!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:46 pm

Let us change the subject.
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:29 am

think positive wrote:
Because we are sick of bullshit excuses getting people off lightly when they have done evil deeds.

Just love this simplistic lynch mob mentality. Straight out of the Herald-Sun and the shock-jock airwaves. No reflection necessary. Independent thought is such a scary thing isn't it?

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:50 am

What is particularly irritating about all this simplistic populist outrage is that basically its just shallow and reactive. The story is all over the tabloids, shock jocks stir up the public outrage, holier than thou chest beating moral one upmanship occurs and by the end of the week, they've all moved on to the next moral outrage. Then the professionals move in to try to limit the pain and help process the hurt, their service then loses their funding due to service cuts, and these same previously morally outraged idiots applaud "cuts to overblown services funded by Labor mismanagement".

Then if some government Department happens to come up with some good programs to identify and intervene into these situations before they occur, these same idiots egged on by the tabloids and shock jocks again will bleat like sheep about "interference by the nanny state."

Australia:"land of the rugged individualist"? Dont make me laugh....

Last edited by rocketronnie on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Fatboy 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:35 am

rocketronnie wrote:
What is particularly irritating about all this simplistic populist outrage is that basically its just shallow and reactive. The story is all over the tabloids, shock jocks stir up the public outrage, holier than thou chest beating moral one upmanship occurs and by the end of the week, they've all moved on to the next moral outrage. Then the professionals move in to try to limit the pain and help process the hurt, their service then loses their funding due to service cuts, and these same previously morally outraged idiots applaud "cuts to overblown services funded by Labor mismanagement".

Then if some government Department happens to come up with some good programs to identify and intervene into these situations before they occur, these same idiots egged on by the tabloids and shock jocks again will bleat like sheep about "interference by the nanny state."

Australian "land of the rugged individualist"? Dont make me laugh....

Your the best joke i've come across this year , Rudd/Gillard a close second
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:49 am

Fatboy wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:

Australian "land of the rugged individualist"? Dont make me laugh....

Your the best joke i've come across this year , Rudd/Gillard a close second

Love that substantive answer Boyfat. Is that all you got? Poking your tongue out? I guess the tabloids haven't told you what to think yet.

Fatboy 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:59 am

Snappy Comeback?
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:36 am

Nothing substantive again eh Fatyob? You have no real ideas do you? Just an empty vessel.
David Libra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:41 am

Hey Fatboy, hurry up and respond to my post. I'm in the mood to argue. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: