Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies whack Weagles . All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
I saw something tonight that I have not seen ever in 50 years! Dawes helped a Weagles player whilst the ball was still in play and it basically went past him. Was I dreaming or was this true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if true it was a disgrace. I have always been a big Dawes fan but at the moment - no way!

I saw that, I think it was Mitch Brown, Nathans brother, and Dawes had crunched him in the pack. Nice sportsmanship but probably could have spent a little less time making sure he was OK.

No Mongrel No Hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:06 am

Great win. We will look back on this victory and say to ourselves how crucial this win is for our top 2 aspirations and how important it is psychologically. We play the Eagles later in the year in Perth which is extremely tough but not impossible to win. If we'd lost today and then lost in Perth later in the year that would psychologically hurt us just like it hurt us last year when we lost to Geelong twice in the home and away season.

To summarise today's match, for the first 15 minutes of the first quarter, the Pies dominated, then the Eagles started to take control of the match and virtually dominated most of the 2nd quarter and then the Pies went crazy for the majority of the 3rd quarter and had a big opportunity to bury the Eagles, but the Eagles steadied and slowly came back. In the final quarter, the Eagles had all the control again and looked like running all over us, but we steadied and held on for dear life in the end. Very Happy Today showed how both teams played great in patches but couldn't replicate it for the whole match.

The most impressive thing to come out of the game except for the win obviously is the emergence of Jamie Elliott and Marley Williams who were both superb, in particular Elliott who stood up in the final quarter. When I saw that contested mark in the final quarter, I had to stand up and applaud it. Never have I been so impressed by a mark like that.

Beams showed once again why he's a superstar. Swan did what he always does which is rack up possessions, Jolly played well against Nic Nat and Cox and Cloke played one of his best games of the season. In particular in the 3rd quarter, he looked so damaging. It's funny how he missed the sitter but kicked the impossible goal. Laughing

Anyway great win, sitting 10-2 and looking great. If we're fair dinkum, we'll beat Freo comfortably if tonight's performance against the Bombers was anything to go by.

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:08 am

4 points, no injuries, all good.

Apart from the obvious desire to bag out Clarke and Buckley who were once again brilliant and truely deserving of their place in a premiership side I must express my concern with the fact that in the past 3 games against the Eagles they have been getting progressively closer on the scoreboard and in general play. 55 points, 20 points and now 3 points, I fear our next meeting in Perth may be a cause for concern and finals? Their improvment over us feels like our improvment in 2010 over Geelong, we must be very warey of them this year and not drop our guard.

Keep the wins ticking over, keep improving and importantly do not lairise when in control of a football game and show a strong opponent respect and we'll be ok. I thought when we had control twice in this game we dropped our focus and let them back, not sure why, maybe the side is too out of balance we seem to be always unsettled with our lineup. Got to get the side settled at some point, straighten up and have a crack.

MONCO: Your life.
Scotch 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:13 am

^

We missed Pendlebury today, no doubt about it. You could argue they were missing Embley which is somewhat similar but to put it simply, Pendlebury is a more influential player and I think would have made that couple of goal difference.

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:20 am

^ I think the way a team plays to their structure is more important than the improvment one or two individuals bring. The Eagles are playing their press much harder and tighter than last year. They look fitter and hungrier than before. In the 3rd quarter I think they looked a bit spooked when we got on a 5 goal roll, the crowd was up and they looked a bit timid, but they re-grouped and hit back hard in the last. Last year we finished over the top and looked to have their measure, not so sure now, the return game in Perth will be a key game for finals aspirations. They are coming and their confidence is growing.

MONCO: Your life.
melliot 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:23 am

Links for replay please
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:23 am

Monco Matt wrote:
^ I think the way a team plays to their structure is more important than the improvment one or two individuals bring. The Eagles are playing their press much harder and tighter than last year. They look fitter and hungrier than before. In the 3rd quarter I think they looked a bit spooked when we got on a 5 goal roll, the crowd was up and they looked a bit timid, but they re-grouped and hit back hard in the last. Last year we finished over the top and looked to have their measure, not so sure now, the return game in Perth will be a key game for finals aspirations. They are coming and their confidence is growing.
Is this really the last one?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:37 am

woftam wrote:
Usurper wrote:
How awful is Simon Buckley..... he's a major liability in big games. At least Clarke has some potential for improvement, though he scares me too.

We need to find replacements for both of them. Either that or move Marty out of the backline. He isn't a backman. We have Tooves, Heater & Marley who can take small forwards. Don't need him playing back because he gets found out defensively.

Honestly I'm really starting to scratch my head trying to understand what Clarke adds to this side that a Toovey, Shaw, O'Brien or hell even young Williams can't do and do at a higher level.

He's enjoyed a solid season and is a neat player but for me he isn't a game breaker, is still suspect in a contested situation and shouldn't be seen as an automatic selection with a healthy list to choose from.

His best game was against Essendon when used as a tagger and with the likes of Toovey and Shaw returning and Williams continuing to impress I don't see a place for him in the side in defence.

IMO he should be groomed as our tagger (something we lack) or be used on a wing where his elite endurance could be exploited to our benefit.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:18 am

Went to the G today & was kindly was offered a Legends seat on level 2 at the Ponny in the fwd pocket. Great view & atmosphere let alone company.

Wow, I'm wrecked after watching the game. It was sooo intense.

As others have mentioned:

Jolly heroic today, brilliant work crashing into Nic Nat & Big Cox.

Beams brilliant game.

Swanny great game

I do love Blair consistently hard at it & is finshing for us.

Maxy well done, Browny great game, Reid & Toovey needed the run they both looked rusty & off the pace.

Billy Elliot & Bob Marley - great games both, Elliott showed us some of his great skills. Shame he missed the shot in the last qtr. Too much of a Dennis Lillee run up for mine, but as I mentioned last game this kid knows how to kick to position.

Backline looked a little disorganized.

As Inkliing pointed out the discrepancy of free kicks during the season favouring WC then to win a free against WC to win the match - love the irony.

Harry great game today - a ripper

Clarke's worst game for us this season but he has played some really good ones earlier still hold by breath though even more so when Buckley has to make a decision under fierce pressure.

Can Young replace Buckley? great last qtr sub role.

We really misse Pendles & Sinclair's pace / tackling.

I'm spent & all I did was watch the game![/b]

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:54 am

Just watched the game again.

So many heroes in those last few minutes !!

From Beamer's goal to put us in front, these players gave their all: Elliott, Maxy, Young, Browny, Harry, Tooves, Ben, Sidey, Wellers ... I could go on.

I will: Jolly, Blair, Fassa, Swanny, Daisy ... Smile I've probably missed a couple.

One of the earliest things I remember in my playing days, at school and for OGBH (Ocean Grove & Barwon Heads were a combined team then) was G & D. Guts & Determination.

I saw plenty of G & D in those last minutes. Superb theatre.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Scotch 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:37 am

Anyone have a link to download the game? Would be much appreciated, thanks Smile
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:12 am

doriswilgus wrote:
Another thing,the crowd.Almost 63,000 there tonight.What a great effort by the Pies fans.Well done!

Actually, congrats to the eagles too - you should have heard the eagles chants, could not believe how loud they were, they had plenty there too.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:16 am

stui magpie wrote:
Home from the game, shit it was cold, and looking forward to watching the replay.

Bloody great game. Some of our skills were off a little a few times, but I'll put that down to pressure and/or players just trying to do too much.

Some highlights for me,

Harry O back to his dashing best.

Goldsack has cemented his spot up forward. He's a fkn hunting dog. Tall, wiry, fast (very fast), strong and a great foil for the main key forwards. I love this kid, have since day 1 and I'm so pleased for him to see how he's going. Some of those tackles were just great.

Elliot. Stuff comparions with Milne, this kid is a pocket sized Daisy with a touch of medders thrown in for spice. Sometimes I'd like to see him go at the ball at ground level more, it seems his first instinct is to let someone get it so he can nail them in a tackle, but no doubting his work ethic, footy smarts and ability. Can we build a statue of Hine at Vic Park when he dies?

Captain Nick, welcome back. 2010 called and asked where you've been. Bloody great game.

Beams. Had his own ball. Inside, outside, leftside, rightside, downside, upside, doesn't frigging matter this kid does it all.

Umpires, were almost good. They generally let it go, which I quite like but let themselves down when they had a relapse and pulled the occasional soft free out just to stuff with the consistency. Got a resounding BOOOOOO when leaving the ground which was a tad harsh. They didn't give the wiggles their usual soft frees and were very willing to let the play go on. Almost got it, not quite.

Agree with all of that, captain Nick killed it so many times, diving for no hope balls and getting them! Much prefer your Elliot comparisons, can't get my tongue around the M word!

Harry O bloody brilliant, been watching Alien vs Predetor, he reminds me of the later, charging in, hair flying, legs pumping, love it!

But the umps, seriously, some one should be shot for not paying the free to Elliot for that brilliant tackle, it nearly cost is the game.

And the in the backs! Gees should be the same for both teams.
Did not like Jolly looking for all the frees though, they ain't coming, just keep playing

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:30 am

thompsoc wrote:
I saw something tonight that I have not seen ever in 50 years! Dawes helped a Weagles player whilst the ball was still in play and it basically went past him. Was I dreaming or was this true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if true it was a disgrace. I have always been a big Dawes fan but at the moment - no way!

Actually I totally disagree. He obviously thought the guy was in trouble.

Can't remember who it was, but remember in the last two years some time an opposition playing being really hurt, out cold I think, while their players left him on the ground one of our players was frantically waving their arms getting him help. It hink maybe Luke or Beams. Both proud moments for me. It's a game, not as important as life and death. Dawes has som much gentlemanly class as a human being. Bucks has him playing different roles. It will come. I believe in bucks judgement.

And as for the flak he is taking, he took two of the first marks of the game, and one was not an easy one. He also did the ruck in the dying moments, and all ours players stood tall then.

Every time our forwards (Cloke and Dawes) went to mark, an eagle had their arm wrapped up their back. How do we not get holding calls for this, it's utter bullshit that you can do that but not tap a guy with a hand in the back.

Which by the way, one of our players was penalized for, but it was a shoulder, and should not have been paid, they got a goal from it.

For mine the much maligned players of the past few weeks, Harry, is well and truly back, only one silly thing today, the rest pure magic to watch. Cloke, those five goals mean far more against the eagles than buddy bullshit 13 against a VFL standard team. Dawes has a way to go to be what he can be, but he was not bad today.

Also Maxy, as someone Stui think said, back to his roving the back line do or die death defying saving dives, 2010 best. Brilliant.

I really don't want to be negative at all, but Marty really had a day to forget, and Bucks, well I saw one player look at him with no one around him, and choose to go to someone else, not so free. He try's, he really does, but I just don't think he has enough skills for his will power to cover. It's a shame.

The way we fought back, the eagles had at least three soft frees that directly got them goals. I'm proud, I'm happy, I'm looking forward and daring to dream.

And Jack got it one hundred percent right.

colin_wood 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:56 am

melliot wrote:
Links for replay please

http://speckyselector.99k.org/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10   

Jump to: