Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Keeffe Vs Tippett

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who won the battle of the second half?
Keeffe
53%
 53%  [ 16 ]
Tippett
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Tie
40%
 40%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 30

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:00 pm
Post subject: Keeffe Vs TippettReply with quote

As we saw last night, Nate Brown started with the job in Kurt Tippett.

But Bux made the change early in the 3rd quarter after Tippett had kicked a nice handful Vs Brown.

So for most of the 2nd half, Keeffe got the job.

I guess you could argue that the Pies hadnt hit their straps like they did in the second half, and therefore the delivery to Tippett was cut back.

But I'll ask just for the sake of it anyway. Who won?

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:07 pm
Post subject: Re: Keeffe Vs TippettReply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
As we saw last night, Nate Brown started with the job in Kurt Tippett.

But Bux made the change early in the 3rd quarter after Tippett had kicked a nice handful Vs Brown.

So for most of the 2nd half, Keeffe got the job.

I guess you could argue that the Pies hadnt hit their straps like they did in the second half, and therefore the delivery to Tippett was cut back.

But I'll ask just for the sake of it anyway. Who won?

Tippet would have monstered Keeffe in the first half as well imo. The key was slowing and limiting their forward delivery. Having said that, subbing Brown off and bringing on Dwyer gave us much more run and allowed us to run over the top of the swans. Great coaching by Bux.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to stop a forward when 4 of the 6. goals were from frees? Just sayin.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:25 pm

Nil all draw pretty much, or maybe one all. There were two one on one contests between them: one Keeffe fell over and Tippett marked uncontested, the other: ball was kicked well over Tippett's head and Keeffe marked.

Our midfield dominated the second half and made Tippett irrelevant. We also got better at bringing help defense across. N.Brown was not disastrous on Tippettt, just a victim of good delivery and touchy umpiring.

The-Den Libra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:33 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Nil all draw pretty much, or maybe one all. There were two one on one contests between them: one Keeffe fell over and Tippett marked uncontested, the other: ball was kicked well over Tippett's head and Keeffe marked.

Our midfield dominated the second half and made Tippett irrelevant. We also got better at bringing help defense across. N.Brown was not disastrous on Tippettt, just a victim of good delivery and touchy umpiring.

Was just thinking the exact same thing. Our midfield beat him in the end. God they were good last night.
Boot 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:47 pm

I thought Nathan Brown battled bravely on the in-form key forward in the competition. He was a bit unlucky with a couple of frees Tippet got but they were there so Nathan Brown has to get better than rthat and back himself more to go at the ball in his own right, which I am confident he has the ability to do. i.e. become more positive with his attack on the ball.

I was a little nervous when Bucks made the move to sub Nathan Brown off for Sammy Dwyer, but it turned out to be a good move as Dwyer again provided some drive around the center / wing and wit Collingwood dominating the on-ball area the supply to Tippet was reduced making Keefe's job easier.

That said I am really pleased with the form of Keefe since his return to the senior team. He seems to be very composed and hsi disposal skills seem fine. I think Keefe is a smart footballer who plays within his limitations and is growing in confidence with every game. The luxury of having Ben Reid play as the thrid tall forward is allowing Collingwood to be a premiership threat again.

The move of Goldsack to defense is also an important component of our team with his hieght and speed helping to stiffen the defence without Reid at CHB. Big test against the Hawks next week when Goldsack may get the job on Buddy with Brown to get Roughead and Keefe to get David Hale. Go Pies!!

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:03 pm

I would have started Keeffe on Tippett from the get go to try and negate his biggest asset of height and reach.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:05 pm

What would make you started Keeffe on Tippett from the get go to try and negate his biggest asset of height and reach?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Darkstranger wrote:
Hard to stop a forward when 4 of the 6. goals were from frees? Just sayin.

Hard not to pay frees when the backman keeps letting himself get caught behind and holding the forward in an armlock.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Neither. Our midfield won
1eyedpie Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:44 pm

Tannin wrote:

Hard not to pay frees when the backman keeps letting himself get caught behind and holding the forward in an armlock.

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Neither. Our midfield won

I agree with both Tannin & Frankie.

Tippet has an excellent knack of getting separation from his opponent!
I think it would be better to play him from the front position and hope our mids apply enough pressure on the deliverer so the kick to him isn't perfect, if we are to meet them again in a final!

BARRACK HARD!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Brown did an excellent job but he's not tall enough to stop some of the delivery that Tippett was getting. Keeffe is.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:09 pm

swoop42 wrote:
I would have started Keeffe on Tippett from the get go to try and negate his biggest asset of height and reach.

+1. Keefe less likely to give frees away than Brown. He was just undersized

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Brownie playing behind Tippett every contest & trying to reach over the top of him was a recipe for disaster. He needs to rethink his strategies when playing on the very tall elite forwards. Start in front or to the side but has to try something different. The fact that we had a spare that never gave him any help didn't aid his cause though.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:05 am

Brown struggled against Tippett and from memory had five kicked on him before the change was made. Brown also struggled against another key forward in Jeremy Cameron two weeks ago so he does have the tendency to struggle against these tall forwards. I'm not sure if Brown would be an ideal option to match up on Roughead or Franklin (presuming he plays) this Friday night, but I guess we'll have to persist with Brown as most of them time he's played well in defence.

After the change occurred, Keefe kept Tippett well-contained in my opinion. Does anyone know how many goals Tippett kicked as a result of a free kick paid to him?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: