Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The best Collingwood coaches since 1953

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

A top 10 list is too difficult to do so I'm narrowing it down to the top 5!

1). Tom Hafey - Tom Hafey is the best coach we've had in the past 60 years. Our club was a basket case at the end of 1976 and the future looked bleak but Tom Hafey entered into the club and revolutionised it with improved performances, greater emphasis on fitness and skill and our sides were tough as nails. The only downside to Hafey's reign is not achieving a premiership after four failed attempts, or five if we want to be technical and include the 1977 Grand Final Replay as one whole separate game. I get the impression that from talking to older supporters that our side wasn't filled with the superstars that were existent at Richmond or Carlton for example, but they were a side that would fight to the death and win most games because they were the hardest and fittest team going around and for that our performances between 1977-1981 were extraordinary! At the end of 1981 you could sense that after many failed attempts that Hafey's time was up as players from that era grew frustrated from a lack of success and we saw players like Peter Moore move on.

2). Phonse Kyne - Obviously way before my time but his achievements as a coach for the club are very impressive. We won the 1953 and 1958 Grand Final under his tenure and were consistently the most prominent side challenging the unstoppable Melbourne Demons side of the 1950s. Overcoming Melbourne in 1958 is as impressive as you get and is one of the club's finest achievements in the last 60 years.

3). Mick Malthouse - Mick Malthouse along with the administration led by Eddie McGuire galvanised our club into the 21st century after a miserable mid to late 1990s. We had lean years in 2000 and 2001 under Mick but making back to back Grand Finals in 2002 and 2003 after we were wooden spooners a few years prior was impressive. 2004 and 2005 were bad years for the club as the list aged, had an extensive injury list and the club was in need of a rebuild. Mick along with his coaching staff achieved a magnificent rebuild as the club sustained itself as a regular finals team from 2006-2011. 2010 will go down as one of the greatest days of my life and for many Collingwood supporters under 30 who either appreciated this victory or witnessed a Collingwood Premiership for the first time in their lives. Mick's ending was bad but one day maybe the club will reunite with him and have warm relations with one another again.

4). Bob Rose - Bob Rose is similar to Tom Hafey in some ways. His coaching record is as impressive as it comes but once again he fails to achieve the ultimate glory after three close attempts in 1964, 1966, 1970. In that time Bob deserved to win at least one premiership so the chances of losing all three were very unlucky to say the least. Still regarded as a legend to Collingwood supporters as a player and coach.

5). Leigh Matthews - Leigh Matthews achieved the unthinkable in 1990 by winning our long-awaited premiership after 32 years of heartache and sadness. Leigh was a good coach for us between 1988-1992 but things started going down around the time of Darren Millane's tragic death and sadly the club went on a 10 year downward spiral until Eddie and Mick took over the club as President and coach.

Last edited by Jezza on Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:18 pm

I know a lot of Bobs.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:04 pm

I neglected to mention that Leigh Matthews got us into the finals in 1994.
Most seem to agree with my top 5 but not necessarily the order.
Here are some finals stats:
Bob Rose - 13 finals, 9 losses, 4 wins, no premierships.
Tom Hafey - 18 finals, 1 draw, 8 losses, 9 wins, no premierships.
Leigh Matthews - 9 finals, 1 draw, 5 losses, 3 wins, 1 premiership
Mick Malthouse - 22 finals, 1 draw, 8 losses, 13 wins, 1 premiership.
Kwah-LeBaire 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:13 pm

Tommy Hafey didn't win a premiership at Collingwood, but he sure injected some life into the place. To come in after the first ever wooden spoon and take the same team straight to the top, that was pure magic. I always had hope when T. Hafey was the coach. Same with Bob Rose. Matthews and Malthouse may have won a premiership each, but their reigns included a lot of depressing times.

Sometimes the hope of a win is better than the actual win.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:14 pm

To Where is in after the first wooden spoon and take the same team to the top that was pure magic ?
sem Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:17 am
Post subject: PhonseReply with quote

Mr Kyne

A Collingwood supporter as a kid

A Collingwood champion footballer

A Collingwood champion as a coach.

The ultimate champion as a person .

The word champion is used ,in our society, to easily .

Phonse was the wallpaper of Collingwood / he covered everything

The ultimate untouchable champion of all champions is MR McHALE .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: