Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2017 Player Review Part 2

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:27 pm
Post subject: 2017 Player Review Part 2Reply with quote

26. Josh Daicos:

Two late season matches provided long term Pies fans with a sample snippet of what he can do. Encouraging durability in that he played 90% of Reserves and Senior matches which is more than Sier has managed in two seasons.

2018 thoughts:

Very cliché and that is build his tank, his body size and hopefully like his dad, enjoy a post 19 years of age growth spurt. Pie sycophants may remember dad Peter commenced in 1979 as a 175cm small forward and eventually grew to 184cm. Eat your peas Josh!

27. Kayle Kirby:

Impressive reserves performances were ultimately rewarded with a senior game and as much as his tackling was exceptional, he struggled to get separation from his opponent. Great to have a sample of what the step up in standards require.

2018 thoughts:

Hopefully there is more Byron Pickett and less Relton Roberts. Have a mentor in the 7 weeks off and don't be tempted!!!

28. Ben Sinclair:

Sad demise of a player whom reinvented himself in past seasons as a hard running back pocket player. If it wasn't the hamstrings it's the concussion.

2018 thoughts:

Retire/delisted

29. Tim Broomhead:

Probably the most polarizing player on our list. I'm a 1/2 glass full on his season and ultimate potential. Historically maligned with shoulder injuries, he was able to play 14 senior games and all reserves matches.

2018 thoughts:

Hopefully this has been an adjustment year for his body insofar as being reaccustomed to the week in week out grind. Another 3-5 kgs wouldn't hurt.

30. Darcy Moore:

Tracking nicely with 25 goals from 21 appearances and finished the year excellently unlike 2016.

2018 thoughts:

Seeing Moore down back late against the Dees intercepting marks and speeding away was a tantalising option. We all know Bux has made as many moves as Tom Hafey "never did" but can't help but fill that rotating Howe and Moore both back and forward (when it suits) has merit.

31. J. Ramsay:

Never recovered confidence wise after Anzac Day when he was out muscled and run twice by Fantasia. Seems too good for the Reserves but not quite sharp enough for the Seniors.

2018 thoughts:

Believe is contracted but may attract some trade interest from WA clubs

32. W. Hoskin Ellioot:

Excellent debut season for the Pies on many levels. Played all 22 matches after an injury riddled period with GWS. 18 goals and 6 points highlights his accuracy and ability to burst forward.

2018 thoughts:

Can't help but hope he gets some time deep forward given his leap, marking ability and genuine X factor. Could easily kick 40 goals and be more productive.

33. Rupert Wills:

2017 was effectively a write off for Rupert. Delayed pre-season and injury recurrences were unkind.

2018 thoughts:

Hope he is retained on the list as he adds a point of difference to our on ball division especially with similarly sized Crisp now excelling off half back

34. Mitch McCarthy:

Moderate amount of reserves games by this "project player" with a recurrence of feet injuries.

2018 thoughts:

Hopefully the dearth of talls on our list and his natural upside mean h can be retained on the rookie list.

35. Sam McLarty

Some encouraging performances amidst some head and leg injuries. Was never going to see much if not any senior game time.

2018 thoughts:

Shall take over from Dunn eventually and 10-12 establishing games would be a great result in 2018.

36. Brayden Sier:

Annoyed like many with this 2015 pick. Should never be speculative with such a high pick. That aside, Brayden was unable in any reserves game exceed 20 possessions.

2018 thoughts:

Shall be lucky to be retained

37. Brayden Maynard:

Brayden made some advances this year but as most Pies fans would say that he is like that classic Chinese dish: "sweet and sour pork". The disparity between his ball bursting best and his "shank like" worst needs some closing.

2018 thoughts:

Ban him from the defensive 50 metre arc for life. Eliminate the shanks and play him on the ball and wing.

38. Jeremy Howe:

A revelation down back for the second year in a row. To think that we effectively swapped Ben Kennedy and Paul Seedsman (3 combine games for 2017) for Jeremy Howe and Rupert W was a great coup for us. 2017 All Australian honours SHOULD be a given. Rewarded with promotion to the leadership group.

2018 thoughts:

Needs to be given some forward time when relevant.

39. Ben Crocker:

Unobtrusive and underwhelming season for Ben. Not quite fast or agile enough for the modern game, nor accurate enough when getting his 7 possessions.

2018 thoughts:

Delist

40. Josh Smith:

13 matches and dropped three times meant a stalling season for Josh. Can be a confusing player to assess but my eyes told me he could beat up on the lower ranked sides with 25+ possessions and good disposal efficiency, however in the bigger matches (Queens Birthday) his slow pace and increased match day intensity saw him cough up the ball, turn it over and get tackled regularly.

2018 thoughts:

If we are courageous in our post season reviews, he should be delisted.

41. Henry Schade:

Encouraging start to the season and his nullifying in Buddy Franklin's 250th match was his crowning moment. Surpassed by the safer and more reliable Dunn.

2018 thoughts:

50:50 call as to whether he is retained on Rookie list

43. Adam Oxley:

For the second time in four seasons Adam failed to play a game with a long term injury.

2018 thoughts:

Shall suffer from the fact that he is now in a queue behind Scharenberg, Dunn, Howe and Langdon as that zone off intercepting defender. May arouse interest from the Gold Coast.

44. Liam Mackie:

Middling season from the cousin of Andrew. A tad vanilla and unlikely to be retained.

2018 thoughts:

Delisted

45. Max Lynch:

Nothing auspicious from the ex NSW Rams ruck often competing with Mason and Lachlan Howe for Ruck time,

2018 thoughts:

If Mason leaves, it may provide Max with a lifeline.

46. Mason Cox:

Like Broomhead, nobody elicits as much debate as the big Yank. Maybe in the last match of the year against the Dees, we saw the model that allows both Grundy and Mason to combine effectively. However, his after match comments to the media were less effusive about his tenure at the Pies.

2018 thoughts:

Many fans may not be aware but he has been paid $400,000/year for the past 3 seasons and reckon he may be facing a pay cut to remain. Understand Brisbane Lions are very keen on him so if he leaves Pick 18 Mr Swann.

Invigoration 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:14 am
Post subject: Re: 2017 Player Review Part 2Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:

Many fans may not be aware but he has been paid $400,000/year for the past 3 seasons and reckon he may be facing a pay cut to remain. Understand Brisbane Lions are very keen on him so if he leaves Pick 18 Mr Swann.

Sorry to undermine a lot of good work by just quoting this part but that's absolutely laughable and completely untrue.

DT 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I differ with you on Crocker and Ramsay. I think Crocker is worth persisting with as he shows signs of ability. I think he suffered injuries and lacked continuity this year. Ramsay is back from an ACL so judge him on next year.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:30 pm

Top post Inxs.

Like DT I reckon Ramsay is a retain. Unlike DT I reckon it is pointless to retain Croker. Broomhead is another one to keep. I have always liked Oxley but can't really see a future for him here, given (as you say) the others that are in front of him now.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:40 pm

Cox can nominate for the pre season draft and go directly to Brisbane with no trade required. Ouch.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:41 pm

Invigoration wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

Sorry to undermine a lot of good work by just quoting this part but that's absolutely laughable and completely untrue.

-Only 50% of a rookie's salary counts toward the salary cap.
-There was also a lot of interest in Mason before he came to the club.
-He was already about 24yo when he came across
-He is university qualified so he is forgoing the opportunity to work in his profession.

Based on that I think this is believable.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:04 pm

Invigoration wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

It's fact

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:06 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Invigoration wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

It's fact

My memory isn't the best, but I thought the talk at the time was that we had to match a $250K offer he had from an oil company.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:53 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Invigoration wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

It's fact

My memory isn't the best, but I thought the talk at the time was that we had to match a $250K offer he had from an oil company.

he did have a job lined up, but no one get's $250k fresh out of uni in an office job.

We would have had to match his job offer in the US, likely a lot less than $100k, then add mayo to get him to come to Aus and beat off other suitors.

Whether that all adds up to $400k I have no idea

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:16 pm

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
Invigoration wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

-Only 50% of a rookie's salary counts toward the salary cap.
-There was also a lot of interest in Mason before he came to the club.
-He was already about 24yo when he came across
-He is university qualified so he is forgoing the opportunity to work in his profession.

Based on that I think this is believable.

Category B rookies don't have their salaries included in the T.P.P

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:51 pm

2017---Tyson Goldsack played 20 games s often on players taller but the grit we have come accustomed to helped him bridge the gap he conceded in height

The game where he played the majority of with bunged up collar bone was outstanding and the Agenda today gave him the name "the glue guy"

2018 will be close to the Sacks last year and he will be the glue that binds both young and old --he cannot help but inspire

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:11 pm

BazBoy wrote:
2017---Tyson Goldsack played 20 games s often on players taller but the grit we have come accustomed to helped him bridge the gap he conceded in height

The game where he played the majority of with bunged up collar bone was outstanding and the Agenda today gave him the name "the glue guy"

2018 will be close to the Sacks last year and he will be the glue that binds both young and old --he cannot help but inspire

good call. He is 193cm so height not too bad, just lacks the body size in tough one on one battles with the monster forwards

Bleedblackanwhite 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:59 pm

( 37. Brayden Maynard: quote

Brayden made some advances this year but as most Pies fans would say that he is like that classic Chinese dish: "sweet and sour pork". The disparity between his ball bursting best and his "shank like" worst needs some closing.)

I think your being a bit harsh on the young fella, I think many were thinking the same of Ben Johnson and he turned out ok..

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:40 am

Bleedblackanwhite wrote:
( 37. Brayden Maynard: quote

Brayden made some advances this year but as most Pies fans would say that he is like that classic Chinese dish: "sweet and sour pork". The disparity between his ball bursting best and his "shank like" worst needs some closing.)

I think your being a bit harsh on the young fella, I think many were thinking the same of Ben Johnson and he turned out ok..

Maybe more "lemon chicken" then??

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:11 pm

Maynard will have a long career with the Maggies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: