Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood players who made a "mark"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:37 pm
Post subject: Collingwood players who made a "mark"Reply with quote

Watching the great Jeremy Howe flying high for speckles brings back fond memories of another airialist the great Billy Picken

Billy's speciality was playing great in finals which I hope Jeremy emulates

Two of our best high flyers--anyone got another to add

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

John Greening was phenomenal in the air.

Then there was Fabulous Phil Carman.

With Howe and Picken, I reckon those 4 would rank as the best Magpie high flyers of the past 50 years.

In order I'd rank them:

1. Howe

2. Carman

3. Picken

4. Greening
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:50 pm

Wow there is a list to be proud of as a Maggie supporter

Agree with the four

Greening used to "hang" as if hanging from a rope

Fabulous used to run and almost take off like Superman

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Back in the 50,s we had a full forward Maurice "Mocka" Dunstan who took gr8 speckles
Another was another Bill--William "Bill"Twomey

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:36 pm

I saw Banksy take his sideways screamer at the Western Oval. A person in front of us turned around and said "that was the best mark I have ever seen with my own eyes".

Tourism Victoria featured that mark on a large poster that sat on my bedroom door at my parents home. It may still be there.

Banksy reenacted that mark before the last game at Vic Park using a ladder and mattress as props.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:51 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I saw Banksy take his sideways screamer at the Western Oval. A person in front of us turned around and said "that was the best mark I have ever seen with my own eyes".

Tourism Victoria featured that mark on a large poster that sat on my bedroom door at my parents home. It may still be there.

Banksy reenacted that mark before the last game at Vic Park using a ladder and mattress as props.

And kicked out on the full from the mark. We lost after the Gubby Allen brain fade that led to Beasley kicking a goal after the siren.
Footscray had the first 5 free kicks and Hawkins nearly decapitated on our players and the scump called play on and my mate yelled out "Do you have to be a meatworker to get a free kick here". That caused some issues.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Moore senior took a number of screamers, including a fabulous one at Princes Park in about '79. Banks' mark was astonishing but the best Collingwood mark I ever saw was Carman against North at Vic Park, Yarra Falls End, 1977. Neither the photos nor the film footage (it was directly below the TV cameras, so the elevation he achieved without any assistance wasn't captured) caught how awe-inspiring it was. Krak's MOTY in 2011 against Adelaide was a very fine effort, too.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:44 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Moore senior took a number of screamers, including a fabulous one at Princes Park in about '79. Banks' mark was astonishing but the best Collingwood mark I ever saw was Carman against North at Vic Park, Yarra Falls End, 1977. Neither the photos nor the film footage (it was directly below the TV cameras, so the elevation he achieved without any assistance wasn't captured) caught how awe-inspiring it was. Krak's MOTY in 2011 against Adelaide was a very fine effort, too.

I think that the Moore mark over Fitzpatrick was in '78 when he was still playing as a forward. Thompson was playing in the ruck & Fitzpatrick had just returned from England & wasn't fit.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:46 pm

Could have been - he certainly took it in the forward pocket.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:41 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:

I was at that game and not to put too fine a point on it, it WAS!! "Right in front of me"!!!And I would nearly agree it was the best mark I've seen with my own eyes although the Howe mark on QB was breathtakingly good. I also recall another legend on that list,Fabulous Phill,playing Melbourne in the middle of the pack, literally vertically leaped onto a Melbourne players shoulders and took a screamer.I've not seen it on the TV anywhere but it was a ripper as well.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:33 pm

Never saw him play but I'm told that Dick Lee was a great high mark. I also remember Alan Atkinson taking an absulute screamer on a wing, and Paul Rizonico taking some great marks in the reserves.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Lazza wrote:
Never saw him play but I'm told that Dick Lee was a great high mark. I also remember Alan Atkinson taking an absulute screamer on a wing, and Paul Rizonico taking some great marks in the reserves.

I remember the Atkinson mark, there is film of it or a photo floating around somewhere. The best marking display I have seen in a game was in the '78 GF. According to Barassi, "Long bombs to Snake". He stood on Kel Moore's head a number of times. As much as I disliked North, the game lost someone spectacular when Baker's knees gave up on him.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:35 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
John Greening was phenomenal in the air.

Then there was Fabulous Phil Carman.

With Howe and Picken, I reckon those 4 would rank as the best Magpie high flyers of the past 50 years.

In order I'd rank them:

1. Howe

2. Carman

3. Picken

4. Greening

Brings back some great memories! Don't mind your ranking either. Carman was not a spectacular mark (although he took a few!) his timing was just unbelievable many times out of a pack of up to eight players he just would emerge with it! Greening well he was just bionical! his marks on the wing are still etched on my mind. Then who can ever forget "Here comes Billy" That mark in the wet over MacLure is one of my all-time favourites even if the outcome of the game thanks to that ball coming back into play! Howe is the best high mark I have very seen, and would love to see him live in the not too distant future!
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Amazing that Tazza hasn't had a mention, should've had MOY against Melbourne but that little pr1ck Morecroft got that one in the goal square a few weeks later and only the fact it had about 14 different camera angles did it get the nod.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:08 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
Amazing that Tazza hasn't had a mention, should've had MOY against Melbourne but that little pr1ck Morecroft got that one in the goal square a few weeks later and only the fact it had about 14 different camera angles did it get the nod.

Forget camera angles, Moorecroft's mark was brilliant.

If you want to talk about people being robbed of MOTY, then Andrew Walker was robbed in 2011. Walker's mark was one of the best ever!!!.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: