Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Article 2: Recruitment Targets!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 am
Post subject: Article 2: Recruitment Targets!Reply with quote

Like many would be Pie fan experts, trade season has essentially started and there has never been a more important time for shrewd and measured off season trading. That aside, with what is rumoured to be a tight salary cap, I anticipate at least 8 primary list changes and 3 rookie delistings paving the way for necessary salary cap relief.

Certain departures and approx. salaries:

1. Jesse White: $375,000
2. Jarryd Blair: $325,000
3. Ben Sinclair: $325,000
4. Liam Mackie: n/a
5. Max Lynch: n/a

Likely departures:

6. Ben Crocker: $175,000
7. Brayden Sier: $150,000
8. Lachie Keefe: $150,000

Trade bait:

9. Alex Fasolo: $400,000
10. J. Ramsay: $325,000
11. Mason C: $400,000 (yes he was on this)
12. Adam Oxley: $300,000

So the million dollar questions Hine and Co need to ask and answer are "what" do we need and "how do we go about it". It's often said trade for your current needs and draft for you future needs. Like many Pie fans it's obvious we need:

1. Key forward
2. Key back
3. Classy running lock down small defender
4. An athletic and skilful 3rd tall
5. Small crumbing forward

So there are four pillars available for such a list build namely:

* Free agency
* Trade period and
* National Draft
* Rookie Draft
* De-listed free agents

Let's look at 10 free agents that may/not suit our needs:

1. J. Trengove (Port Adelaide)

26 years of age, this former Victorian is gettable and probably one of the most versatile big men in the league. Can play Ruck, back and forward and having been dropped recently by the Power, may be contemplating a move. Great replacement for big the big Texan Mason if he chooses to leave.

2. Tom Rockliff (Brisbane)

Some may argue he doesn't serve a current need, but reckon we have never really replaced Luke Ball (Taylor Adams aside). An ability to go forward and seemingly removed from on ball duties by Fagan at the Lions, he may prefer a move home to Victoria. Gubby was keen last year (Bux wasn't) however Tom should be acknowledged for his bounce back year as a "team man" and assisting the Lions resurgence. Should be considered.

3. Steven Motlop (Geelong)

You know when Brian Cook tells the media via a pre-match radio interview that he is tradeable, his future at the cattery is limited. Strikes me as a selectively good player but shit bloke!

4. Daniel Menzel (Geelong)

With over 70 goals in last 2 home and away seasons, the Pies could do a lot worse. The Cats are holding out with a view to bringing in Devon Smith and Gary "mercenary" Ablett. Only wants 2 year security and $400,000 which is like Utopia vs what we offered Chris Mayne.

5. Taylor Duryea (Hawks)

Premiership player with a hard streak whom curtailed Jeremy Howe earlier in the year with a forward tagging role. Seems gettable and may solve the backline spot. Gone forward in second half season with good success.

6. Jake Spencer (Demons)

As a back up Ruckman to Grundy if Mason goes. Ungainly is old Jake but back up ruck options are thin.

7. Jarrod McVeigh (Swans)

Yes he is old, yes he won't play in our next Premiership side, he has bad calfs and has slowed down. We need a current/recently played Assistant coach and what better off field and on field example that can bring cultural and professional change to our club. Tick for me!

8. Eric Mackenzie (Eagles)

Fallen off the cliff since his knee injury 2 years ago but was a former All Australian in 2014. Unlikely.

9. Lachie Hansen (Nth Melbourne)

Both now a free agent and a de-listed free agent with the Roos effectively not offering him a new contract. Is it just me and I am the only person who thinks Lachie is and has been a good footballer??

10. David Mundy (Freo)

Flown under the radar but this Docker free agent may want to eek out an extra year/two at a Victorian club given where Freo are placed. Unlikely to be pursued.

Conclusion:

Personally I would hope the Pies strategically target and secure either or all of:

* Trengove
* Rockliff
* Menzel

With consideration given to Duryea and McVeigh.

Last edited by inxs88 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Jamesy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:16 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Menzel is what we need on that list, INXS88.

Go the Pies!
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:22 am

Jamesy wrote:
Menzel is what we need on that list, INXS88.

Go the Pies!

He is the most gettable. No love from the Cats for him and simply kicks goals!

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:18 am

Menzel applies little to none forward pressure, and flatly refuses to chase. He certainly is a talented goal kicker but so are both of Jamie Elliott and Fas.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:17 am

INXS great review mate and a good coverage of what we can land without selling the farm
For mine I would go
Trengrove
Hansen
Then if we had cap space left
Rockliff

Trengrove and Hansen immediately fill gaps we have (2 talls one to go forward one to go back) if Trengrove can pinch hit at FF and Hansen at CHB or FB then we automatically become a more solid spine. It would mean we have time to develop young talls as well and we cover in defence which would be handy given Reid and his body is a unknown quality.
Rockliff has showed great character in taking his dumping as skipper well and playing well in a poor side. We have loads of midfielders but he's a ball winner and decent defensive player
If we can land 2 of these players and still keep our draft pick then we have a decent chance of being a better side immediately whilst still filling the list with good young players
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:27 am

Stephen Motlop is a free agent now, isn't he? Can't we get him for nothing other than having to pay his salary?
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:25 am

Nice write up inx88.

My comments (just on our players for now):

Blair - 50/50 whether delist or kept as depth.

Keeffe - unlikely to be delisted given our tall stocks I would have thought. Possibly rookied if list space becomes an issue.

Crocker and Sier - I suspect you are correct, but if any faith remains maybe they get rookied.

Fasolo - reluctant to trade him UNLESS he has requested a trade home. He is underrated here and despite a less accurate 2017, is generally a very accurate shot on goal. Will benefit from us getting more control of the ball and better delivery (Who won't!). Needs to get on the park for 22 games.

Ramsay - I suspect is more highly rated internally than at other clubs. Coming back off injury is not the best time to trade him value-wise. Was it 2015 or 2016 he played the first 5 games and was in the coach's votes 5 times (something like that).

Oxley - does he hold any trade value? Might get some draft pick scraps from GCS just because he has some AFL experience. Clearly out of favour at the Pies - generally that means little value on the open market.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:27 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Stephen Motlop is a free agent now, isn't he? Can't we get him for nothing other than having to pay his salary?

GEELONG
Steven Motlop (restricted)
Daniel Menzel (unrestricted) 

Invigoration 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:27 am

Weird that only 1 of your 'certain' departures is actually certain.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:31 am

We need more pace in our team. Speed kills
The only one off that list with pace, is Motlop.
Motlops best and worst are way to far apart. He can't be trusted to contribute on a weekly basis.
Personally, I would put a line through all of them and keep my powder dry for a quality young player who is part of our best 22 for the next 5 years at least.
Obviously you pay a price for quality but you are much more likely for a better return in the process.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:53 am

Happy to hear that Wills has been offered a two year deal hopefully he can have a good pre season.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:31 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:

GEELONG
Steven Motlop (restricted)
Daniel Menzel (unrestricted) 

Motlop? Seriously? No way.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:49 pm

The Cats could not give away Motlop last year and that included paying half his salary. All the players offered give us nothing in the long term. There is no short term fix here, we are on a rebuild again.

Last edited by Culprit on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:54 pm

Oxley trade bait?
If you consider a shrivelled dry anchovy to be bait....

melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Culprit wrote:
The Cats could not give away Motlop last year and that included paying half his salary. All the players offered give us nothing in the long term. There is no short term fix here, we are on a rebuild again.

Agree. We have been half-arse re-building for 4 years and still have too many holes in the best 22 .

Need to draft kids and invest in youth. The odd free agent is ok, but needs to be really a good fit for us.

We are years away from contending now. Just too many list holes to fill (as identified in the OP). Need to build the team around Adams, Treloar, Moore, DeGoey etc. Hopes that Reid, Pendles and Wells are part of our next flag tilt are false hopes now.

It is no good making the same mistakes of the past 4 years. Need to invest heavily in the draft. Cut the list back and that means trading out some players for picks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: