Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Article 2: Recruitment Targets!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Culprit wrote:
The Cats could not give away Motlop last year and that included paying half his salary. All the players offered give us nothing in the long term. There is no short term fix here, we are on a rebuild again.

Who is quicker Motlop? or Loats?

www.facebook/the hybernators
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Culprit wrote:
The Cats could not give away Motlop last year and that included paying half his salary. All the players offered give us nothing in the long term. There is no short term fix here, we are on a rebuild again.

Agree. All those mentioned are not the answer. I'd go for youth with the exception of an established key back but I disagree that we are rebuilding. Most of our improvement should come from within and we could be anywhere from 4 to 8 next year. We are building, but most of it's already happened. We just need to continue to build for a sustained period in the finals.

melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Damien wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Agree. All those mentioned are not the answer. I'd go for youth with the exception of an established key back but I disagree that we are rebuilding. Most of our improvement should come from within and we could be anywhere from 4 to 8 next year. We are building, but most of it's already happened. We just need to continue to build for a sustained period in the finals.

Hope your right. But I've heard that for several years now. I'm not convinced on our playing list. Need a KPB, KPF, Small Defender (may be on the list already)and small forward (may be on the list already). That is nearly quarter of a team and the KPPs are the hardest to find of all!
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:01 pm

melliot wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Agree. We have been half-arse re-building for 4 years and still have too many holes in the best 22 .

Need to draft kids and invest in youth. The odd free agent is ok, but needs to be really a good fit for us.

We are years away from contending now. Just too many list holes to fill (as identified in the OP). Need to build the team around Adams, Treloar, Moore, DeGoey etc. Hopes that Reid, Pendles and Wells are part of our next flag tilt are false hopes now.

It is no good making the same mistakes of the past 4 years. Need to invest heavily in the draft. Cut the list back and that means trading out some players for picks.

Ignoring free agency is like playing only through gully as an opening batsman (Hello Kepler Wessels). Taking relevant and position specific players through this pillar is essentially a free hit! Don't be scarred by:

* Clinton Young
* Q Stick &
* Jordan Russell

They were obvious busts that only took up list spots 33-38 in terms of priority. One can't help feel that if we added:

* Rockliff: 27 years old
* Motlop: 26 years old
* Trengove: 26 years old

Before using pick 6, 36 etc.. it would give our list considerable renewal in strength and not take away from the youth dynamic for the future.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:07 pm

I thought about Rockliff for a while cause he is a pretty good player. He played in pain for the last few rounds and also managed a couple good tagging jobs to add to his resume.
The problem is we have just given Wills a two year contract and Greenwood seems to continue to be good enough to play in our best 22 every week.
I can't see how you could have any mid field with Wills, Greenwood and Rockliff in the same team. If Greenwood was moved on, I wouldn't be against Rockliff coming in.
I'm a Devon Smith fan. There is constant talk he isn't happy with his new contract and that the Pies, Cats and Blues are speaking with his management. He is quick, a regular goal kicker from all angles and gets his own footy. Applies high pressure as a defensive forward. Assuming Blairs contract isn't renewed and possibly Fasolo is traded ( although that's not my preference ) then upgrading to Smith makes a lot of sense to me. I would him as a priority for filling our future needs as a pacy high pressure goal kicker. Comes as a trade but is easily in our best 22 for next few years.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Jackson Trengove to the Dogs, odds shortening. Major shock now if not at kennel next year under free agency ... @7NewsMelbourne
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:24 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
Jackson Trengove to the Dogs, odds shortening. Major shock now if not at kennel next year under free agency ... @7NewsMelbourne

Was that a "Mark sycophantic Stevens" article???

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:54 am

I am not worried about our talls. Yep, wouldn't mind a good key back, but provided Cox stays, that's about it.

I reckon the one must-have player we don't have is a quality small defender with pace and guts, the sort of bloke you'd put on Eddie Betts and then forget about for the rest of the day 'coz you know that no-one ever kicks more than two on him.

Generally speaking, it's not the talls that kill us, it's the quick little blokes who cut us to ribbons.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:16 am

Any way you look at it Motlop is not the answer. One of the laziest footballers in the AFL. If it was a pick in the 70s it would be too high.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:55 am

The best thing about Motlop is Norf want him. Rockliff will cost us a fortune if you look at the Wells and Mayne deals Shocked Do we really want to screw us over in the cap with another midfielder? Recruiting should be aimed at our shortfalls. In saying that you have to give something to get something.
think better 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:25 am

Tannin wrote:
I am not worried about our talls. Yep, wouldn't mind a good key back, but provided Cox stays, that's about it.

I reckon the one must-have player we don't have is a quality small defender with pace and guts, the sort of bloke you'd put on Eddie Betts and then forget about for the rest of the day 'coz you know that no-one ever kicks more than two on him.

Generally speaking, it's not the talls that kill us, it's the quick little blokes who cut us to ribbons.

Sinclair fits that bill but you'd have to think he won't play again

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:15 pm

GET LEVER !!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:19 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
I thought about Rockliff for a while cause he is a pretty good player. He played in pain for the last few rounds and also managed a couple good tagging jobs to add to his resume.
The problem is we have just given Wills a two year contract and Greenwood seems to continue to be good enough to play in our best 22 every week.
I can't see how you could have any mid field with Wills, Greenwood and Rockliff in the same team. If Greenwood was moved on, I wouldn't be against Rockliff coming in.
I'm a Devon Smith fan. There is constant talk he isn't happy with his new contract and that the Pies, Cats and Blues are speaking with his management. He is quick, a regular goal kicker from all angles and gets his own footy. Applies high pressure as a defensive forward. Assuming Blairs contract isn't renewed and possibly Fasolo is traded ( although that's not my preference ) then upgrading to Smith makes a lot of sense to me. I would him as a priority for filling our future needs as a pacy high pressure goal kicker. Comes as a trade but is easily in our best 22 for next few years.

Devon Smith 16 goals in 15 matches in 2017. Doesn't get his own ball. GWS would want a first rounder. No thanks!

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:55 pm

^^
Hoskin Elliot. 22 games. 18 goals. Future second rounder
I'm just not sure that accessing a players ability is that simplistic.

It's easily Smiths worst year since he has been at GWS.
Had injuries and seem likely to come home.
We apply very little defensive pressure inside our own forward fifty and he is regarded as elite in that area ( according to C D, not me )
Average fantasy scores of around mid eighties over last three years ( 14 - 16 ) and very unlikely that would be all tackles.

I'm looking at who is being discussed as trading places in the media, not who isn't.
If you're going to trade out Fasolo and finish up Blair, then I would think that you would want a mature replacement.
Maybe not, that's fine but I would.
Invigoration 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:11 pm

think better wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Sinclair fits that bill but you'd have to think he won't play again

Apparently got a contract extension so I'd say otherwise. Would be great news if his hammy was sorted, people don't appreciate how much of a boon his return would be for our backline.
Watching Ramsey and Smith try to fill the role this year was just painful

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: