Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Buckley coaching better than we think...?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard is a pretty simple cat.

I wouldn’t take his choice of words literally. I know what he’s trying to say, and he’s are more of a defender as well. Defensively, we needed to tighten up. Using the term “going through the motions” re: Bucks is also a poor choice of words. Again, I know what’s he strying to say.

Probably best to keep Maynard off media street until AFTER we win the GF.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:15 am

Jezza wrote:
Credit where it's due. After a few tough and uncertain years, it's fantastic to see Bucks leading this team into a preliminary final.

He'll be a serious contender for coach of the year along with Simpson and Goodwin.
Bucks IS coach of the year - has catapulted the team from a lot further back than Melbourne and WCE were last year (and with 10x as much pressure on him to do it). The only way he could get pipped is if Melbourne happened to beat WCE in the prelim, but that shouldn't change how us supporters feel about what he (and his assistants) have done this year.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:35 am

Maynard speaks like he plays. Hard, blunt, direct, sometimes erratic and without thought but always honest. That's why we love him
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Jezza wrote:
Credit where it's due. After a few tough and uncertain years, it's fantastic to see Bucks leading this team into a preliminary final.

He'll be a serious contender for coach of the year along with Simpson and Goodwin.

Along with Hardwick too; all very good tacticians and relate very well to their players, thus getting above average results from them.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:54 pm

piedys wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Along with Hardwick too; all very good tacticians and relate very well to their players, thus getting above average results from them.

Come on Andy, you can do better than that old son. Forget about the last few years, where most supporters were entitled to be disappointed at Bucks and the coaching. Get on board and get behind Bucks and acknowledge the great job he's done this year getting us to the Prelim. Dyso, we need you on board mate!
winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:44 pm

I absolutely loved Buckley's response to the question in the presser after the GWS game

"Did you ever imagine this situation (being in a prelim final) 12 months ago"?

Reply - "Ah yep. We pictured it every night, every training session".

Pure gold!!! Very Happy

K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:16 am

It looks like our coaches chose to tweak the game-style instead of playing in the usual way against Richmond.

Collingwood Kick:Handball

Prelim. 235:174 (1.35)
Rd. 19 199:200 (0.995)
Rd. 6 209:223 (0.937)

Kicking much more than previously. Not over-handballing. This is what e.g. Eade suggested early this season. According to Eade, you just need to kick it on angles and not bomb it long straight to their defensive setup. Clearly, the dominance of Cox allowed us to go down the line more without playing into that defensive setup.

[Compare with http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1863739#1863739 , from before the first week of finals, part of which says: 'The choice when playing Richmond is either to play them at their game or play them at yours.
“Collingwood plays Richmond at their game and has had some success with it until players were injured in both games, but their game style is like Richmond: they play helter skelter, keep it fast and go contest to contest,” a senior coach said.
But the Pies still lost.'
]
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:21 am

RudeBoy wrote:
piedys wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Come on Andy, you can do better than that old son. Forget about the last few years, where most supporters were entitled to be disappointed at Bucks and the coaching. Get on board and get behind Bucks and acknowledge the great job he's done this year getting us to the Prelim. Dyso, we need you on board mate!

Well, we can put a line through Hardwick for 2018 at least!
The field narrows itself by natural selection; it will be a two-horse race in 24 hours!

mattmc33 Leo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:48 am

I was done with Nathan last year. And overjoyed to be proven wrong. He’s done an incredible job. But let’s not sweep that review under the carpet. Whatever was said, whatever was recommended and put into action has been absolutely on the money. And let’s not underestimate the impact Nick Maxwell has had. Sometimes coaches just need a really strong support base. Nathan has that this year and then some.

The thing that’s really impressed me about him this year has been his self awareness. He’s changed his mindset considerably from the rigid, inflexible process driven guy he was for years. That’s still there, but it’s clear he’s far more relaxed and open than he ever was before. And that’s translated to what’s happening on the field. Those boys love to play for him now. There’s a joy and verve and spirit about this group that hasn’t been seen since 2010.

Anyway, the thing that’s clinched Nathan as a quality coach for me is the development of the kids. Stephenson is exhibit A, but then you’ve got guys like Mihocek, Sier, JDG and the like who are all thriving. That says a lot to me.

So yeah, happy as hell to be proven wrong. What’s really amazing is that this legitimately feels like the beginning of a five year run, based off the team’s age profile. That’s something to really celebrate. But I want that flag lol.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:16 am

During the first half he looked so relaxed almost like Bomber Thompson in his Geelong Days. I was waiting for him to put his feet up on the desk and munch on something.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:04 am

I think we can now shut this thread. The answer is and probably has always been, emphatically, yes Smile
Seth 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:37 am

Forgive me father for I have sinned, its been ........well a long time anyway since my last confession.

I must confess that I believed that Nathan Buckley could not coach, that the team and club had no direction or game plan and that the players did not play for Buckley.

I was totally wrong, I mean totally and I am ashamed to admit it.

The man can coach, he has the players with him along for the ride, there is something very different at this club. If theyre not careful they might just win a premiership!

Thank you.
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:48 am

I eat humble pie big time. Bucks has proved me wrong I wanted him gone. But well done one more step to glory
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:07 am

I’m extremely pleased for him. I think the real changes, though, have been that the defensive coaching has been remarkable and that, week in and week out, we field the best three players in the competition in the middle of the park. Despite some of the poorer players at the bottom of our 22, when you have Grundy and Sidebottom getting their hands on the ball 118 times in a game (count them), you can paper over a lot of cracks. All Nathan really needs to do is let the Side-Grundy bus drive itself for one more week.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:32 am

mattmc33 wrote:
Anyway, the thing that’s clinched Nathan as a quality coach for me is the development of the kids. Stephenson is exhibit A, but then you’ve got guys like Mihocek, Sier, JDG and the like who are all thriving. That says a lot to me.

I don't really think Nathan is the reason for JS's performance. Isn't this list more about the recruiters than the coaches?

Johnno75 wrote:
During the first half he looked so relaxed almost like Bomber Thompson in his Geelong Days. I was waiting for him to put his feet up on the desk and munch on something.

The last thing I want is for him to look like Bomber Thompson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 30 of 35   

Jump to: