Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Prelim. Pies v. Giants.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:
With the sniper cleared to play and Brions down on confidence after being comprehensively beaten by the Tuggers two weeks in a row, I expect GWS to be our opponents. If this is the case both Reid and Shaz must play to add height. Davis will monster Checkers if he is the sole tall forward. Wills and Adams are crucial to beating GWS, if Grundy and these two don't get the ball out to Pendles, Sidey and Treloar then we may see a re-run of the earlier debacle against GWS where the game was lost in the first quarter. I really hope Brions win cause GWS are well overdue for a prelim win and GF berth.

Our team should be very different from the one that played against GWS in round 18. That team included Aish, Appleby, Cox, Crocker, JDG, Quaynor, Sier and Varcoe. Even if Aish and Varcoe come back in, you'd think there'd be at least 6 or 7 changes from that losing side. Of the outs, only JDG hurts us significantly. The 7 who played last week but weren't in the round 18 team are Elliott, Greenwood, Moore, Noble, Stephenson, Thomas and Wills. All of them other than Greenwood are likely to play (and mostly out of choice, rather than necessity). Of those 6, Elliott, Moore and Stephenson are all class players and Noble, Thomas and Wills are at least around the same quality, collectively, on this year's form as the players they replaced.

We had 63 inside 50s last time but couldn't kick much of a score, whereas Cameron (6), Himmelberg (4) and Finlayson (3) kicked 13 goals between them. Our midfield had plenty of the ball but their forward efficiency (Cameron, Himmelberg and Finlayson kicked 6 goals between them inside the first 20 minutes and 8 goals in the first quarter) and our forward inefficiency killed us.

Mumford worries me.
Surely any player who has given away more free kicks than he has had kicks over an entire season ( and by a fair margin ) is going to turn that around sooner than later.
If he manages to exceed three kicks against Grundy, we could be in a spot of bother.
But seriously ..... not on Grundys watch 😉
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:41 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Our “blitzkrieg” approach at the first bounce unsettling to opposition and we build a score thru shock and awre (that wasn’t meant to rhyme)

The field kicking has become elite with the Crisp / Adams / Maynard taking huge steps to be like Pendles Purrrrrfect—-they just know how to retain pocession and with their now 2nd best in comp score from stoppage the slightest chance they seize on

So true, Wills has been big part of Blitzkreig

Disposal has become elite, it seems people don't generally notice disposal much unless it gets bad. Just sort of take it for granted when it's good.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Some two seasons back the three I mentioned turned ball over a bit too often but you see them now—they kick to a teammate at time,s so precise it’s like they aimed at an open jam tin

One of the reasons why we have made finals back to back

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:43 pm

I want to get one back on GWS for the game in July. But the more I think about it, the more I believe that Brisbane would be the easier match up.

We'll have time to get GWS back for that game next year.

shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:02 pm

Pies2016 wrote:

Mumford worries me.

Easily the dirtiest player in the league (along with Toby Greene). Do we have a couple of mongrel stoppers we can send to them early in the game? Maynard could easily put Greene in his place, but Mumford is Andre the Giant. Hopefully it won't come to that and the Brions will beat them on the weekend.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:04 pm

Skids wrote:
PiesFan wrote:
GWS forward line and midfield guns worry me more. Ideal would be
1. Cats take out eagles
2. Brisbane beat gws
3. Cats then upset tigers for a magpies vs cats GF.

One can only dream 😊

I've put $150 on it @ $8.50 Cool

Do you win more than you lose?

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:14 pm

Pies2016 wrote:

Mumford worries me.
Surely any player who has given away more free kicks than he has had kicks over an entire season ( and by a fair margin ) is going to turn that around sooner than later.
If he manages to exceed three kicks against Grundy, we could be in a spot of bother.

I remember Grundy's first game for us as an 18 or 19 yr old, which had him pitted against Mumford in the ruck. Mummy tried to rough up Grundy near the boundary and Grundy used his martial arts technique to promptly land Mummy on his arse. Right there and then I knew we had a future gun player on our hands.

Last edited by RudeBoy on Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:15 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Mumford worries me.

I am actually concerned about Mumford because of the potential impact on Grundy for the following week, if Collingwood wins.

I do not really recall the game the following week against Richmond in season (and, no, there is no way I am going to watch it again) but I see that Thor only had 36 hitouts, 9 disposals, 2 marks, 4 clearances and 8 contested possessions the week after playing GWS. That was probably his poorest effort all year, statistically.

I can't see Mumford challenging Brodie on football output but I can see him causing injury - it's about all Mumford is good for, these days.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:38 pm

^^^

It has the potential for concern. Without wanting to get ahead myself, if there was the scenario where the Pies were in control of the Giants late in the prelim, I would be a little nervous. If any club was capable of handing out sour grapes cheap shots, it’s this mob.
Greene, Mumford, Cameron and the snipers apprentice, Himmelberg are all notorious for sly cheap shots behind the ball.
Our players will do well to hold their emotions in check if the Giants make the prelim.
As for Mumford, he is simply another football myth. The hype nowhere near matches the output.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:41 pm

This is where our Hulk tackles to maximum pain if any of these players get blind side in a contest—-might take a few goes at Mummy
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:49 pm

Hulk? Is Kink gonna come in to replace Googs?! Shocked
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:51 pm

Errrr!!! King Kong then 😃
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:00 pm

King Wombat? Wink
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:30 pm

K wrote:
King Wombat? Wink

Yeah, I think he is referring to King Wombat. Is that asking too much of the Wombat though? He is much smaller than the Egyptian archeological relic.
How could Wombat play it so that he puts a muffler on the Mummy, but without dying in the process?
GWS Snipers are another reason why the loss of Greenwood is so disappointing. He has such a nice way to deal with snipers.
One thing I noticed about the Geelong game was that we suddenly had plenty of mongrel. JDG's tackle on Duckwood was brilliant (except that it gave Duckwood the free, however, was well worth it), Tay Adams was very much into mongrel throughout the game. Wombat and Tay were brutally physical at the contests.
This was a massive increase in mongrel compared with the H&A season, and it played a major part in suppressing Geelong's ability to score.
We will need a strategy for imposing physical aggression on Mumford in order to support Brodie Grundy.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:48 pm

I also saw the step up in the Hunter attitude

From first bounce to finals siren they ran like mad things to run opponents down and Geelong needed all the skill to get within 10 points at the finish

There have been games since we rose back in finals team where we crack a side open with sheer want the ball more (see last yr Prelim)

My hope is that they can maintain the rage for eight more quarter,s of footy

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 8 of 33   

Jump to: