Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#2 Jordan De Goey

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone doubts De Goey's talent. People take differing views of how tolerant we should be of his "indiscretions".

He has played 2 senior games since he last stuffed up off field. Let's just wait and see how his attitude plays out. At the moment, he's well short of being an "out and out star of the competition", although he certainly has the talent to be one. The question is whether the talent will be realised.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:21 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
I don't think anyone doubts De Goey's talent. People take differing views of how tolerant we should be of his "indiscretions".

He has played 2 senior games since he last stuffed up off field. Let's just wait and see how his attitude plays out. At the moment, he's well short of being an "out and out star of the competition", although he certainly has the talent to be one. The question is whether the talent will be realised.

Very well said.

For gods sake don’t jinx it, as far as I know he still has his dog.

Why why why does this get dragged up? Maybe, just maybe, getting smacked so hard straightened his attitude? FWIW I didn’t want him sacked, that would be dumb, but I had no qualms with how it was handled. It’s done. Let it go. Enjoy the good times, because god knows they have been few and far between lately.

As I said at quarter time, “I’d forgotten how stressful footy is when you have hope!”

Just $£$%^%%$ enjoy it and lose the I told you so’s, all it does is stir the pot here. As far as I know we don’t hand out prizes. Let it go. For DeGoeys sake as much as anything. It’s done.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:25 am

Do you often use a computer there?
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:35 am

E wrote:
ronrat wrote:
No but I am one of "you all all" knock one knock all. You mentioned biundoora, not me. There is no such thinga s a perfect drunk driver. 40 years a social club menber. i Live in Thailand because it is cheaper than giving money to bludgers, tax and other wise. Go to a girlie bar, you might get some of your frustations out.

I don't have any frustrations. I think you might be too judgmental. Maybe people in Australia got a little sick of that. Probably better to be in a country where your tiny bit of money talks so you don't have to. Feels to me like you need to relax a little pal. sad.

I am perfectly relaxed. I just don't feel the need to label everyone which appears you do. Stop watching Channel 9 and and you might learn a bit about the world or even better visit it.

E 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:25 am

ronrat wrote:
E wrote:
ronrat wrote:
No but I am one of "you all all" knock one knock all. You mentioned biundoora, not me. There is no such thinga s a perfect drunk driver. 40 years a social club menber. i Live in Thailand because it is cheaper than giving money to bludgers, tax and other wise. Go to a girlie bar, you might get some of your frustations out.

I don't have any frustrations. I think you might be too judgmental. Maybe people in Australia got a little sick of that. Probably better to be in a country where your tiny bit of money talks so you don't have to. Feels to me like you need to relax a little pal. sad.

I am perfectly relaxed. I just don't feel the need to label everyone which appears you do. Stop watching Channel 9 and and you might learn a bit about the world or even better visit it.

Too funny. You claim you don't label everyone and then you label me as someone who hasn't traveled (which itself is laughable).... Hard for old people to become worldly, no matter how much time they spend in Thai brothels.....

K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:07 pm

E wrote:
K wrote:
^^^
What other clubs do with their drink-drivers (and their presidency and CEOship, and their pokies) is their own business...

For the record, Hodge record 0.068, which is much lower than 0.095.
And his "punishment" was a victory for expediency over principles. They simply could not face losing his football skills for that final.

RonRat and K. Take note.

E, how does quoting a discussion about Hodge's non-suspension by the Hawks have anything to do with your claims?

The majority of discussion in this thread centred on whether our club was justified in handing out its penalties (which had nothing to do with delisting, and, as some tried to point out in vain, did not necessarily mean missing any games).
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:22 pm

E wrote:
K wrote:
Jezza wrote:
"I won't let you down" - Jordan De Goey on the day he was drafted.

I worry about the direction he's heading in. ...

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2014-11-28/collingwoods-2014-national-draft

At around 2:05.

I'm not worried about where he's heading. I'm worried about where he's already arrived.

RonRat and K. Take note.

This quoted comment chain has nothing to do with delisting either. It doesn't say anything about penalties or list management. The whole chain merely mentions and gives a video link to the broken promise JDG made when he was drafted.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:41 pm
Post subject: de Goey or De Goey ?Reply with quote

Of the first 14 posts in the GB Medal thread, 11 got his name wrong. 11.

It's de Goey.

Well, I did check the CFC website. Turns out they were wrong.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy

Last edited by Donny on Mon May 07, 2018 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:45 pm
Post subject: Re: It's de Goey.Reply with quote

I'm delighted. Rolling Eyes
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:04 pm

Donny are you sure? Wink

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2018-05-06/report-pies-win-a-gabba-thriller

Collingwood 4.2 10.3 15.4 19.7 (121)
Brisbane 3.0 10.0 14.2 18.6 (114)

Goals – Collingwood: De Goey 5, Thomas 3, Stephenson 2, Pendlebury, Mayne, Howe, Treloar, Moore, Phillips, Cox, Varcoe, Hoskin-Elliott

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:34 pm

Fair point, Clemo.

But whomever did that report got it wrong, as well.

I checked his CFC profile:

2. Jordan de Goey

Height: 191 cm

DOB: 15-03-1996

Weight: 91 kg

Debut: 2015

Games: 2018 - 4

Career: 54

AFL site game commentary:

Q4 04:35 - GOAL. Magpies (Jordan de Goey)

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:37 pm

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/player-profile/jordan-de-goey

If you read his player bio, it says "De Goey" apart from the title which says "de Goey". I understand it's a Dutch surname, so it's likely spelt as 'de Goey' which isn't uncommon.

However, why does it matter how people spell it if we can already understand what everyone means when the name is mentioned.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:37 pm

The AFL site also used De Goey in their summary of the match, so I understand the confusion. Smile

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:49 pm

Happy to be corrected.

I emailed the Club. Will post their reply.

Jezza, It matters to Jordan. Respect.

K 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:44 am

From p.3-4 of http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=83772

Mugwump wrote:
... in Dutch, which is where the name comes from, the preposition at the front of a name is not capitalized. de Wit, van der Laan, etc.

Since “Goey” is not a Dutch word, I suppose Jordan’s name is an Anglicized version of de Goeie, which would translate as “Jordan the good”. Which seems a little ironic.....

K wrote:
Just wait till we recruit Jordan de Slechte.

Part of JDG's penalty/homework should also be to learn and use the correct Dutch pronunciation of the "G" in his name.

This also belatedly reminded me that Dutch names can also begin with an apostrophe. e.g. ’t Hooft, ’t Hart, ...
"The prefix ’t is pronounced as ‘ut’ and stands for ‘het’. Het Hoofd (in modern spelling) is literally translated as: ‘the head’."

I'm not sure the club (whose own website is inconsistent) can be relied upon for accuracy in such matters. Given that it seems the name has become Anglicized*, we'd want to define what we mean by "correct", since it's arguably already "incorrect" from the Dutch perspective. (And, likewise, I'd guess only his grandparents pronounce it "correctly".) Perhaps you could argue that there are guidelines for acceptable and unacceptable incorrectness, though.

I'd say maybe "correct" is whatever it says in his passport. We know he must have one, because he and the boys partied in Ibiza. It's possible, of course, that Oz passports capitalize every letter: "DE GOEY". That would be decidedly unhelpful. It's also possible his gorgeous dog has eaten his passport.

* Another example: The "mooy" in Aaron Mooy is really "mooij", which means "beautiful".
Similarly, there seem to be a lot of people named de Goeij, so maybe that's the most common Dutch form.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
Page 87 of 301   

Jump to: