War in Syria

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

thebaldfacts

Post by thebaldfacts »

Without a UN mandate, the US and the UK have no right to go bomb another country in such circumstances.

No matter how just the cause, any action must be via the UN.
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

thebaldfacts wrote:Without a UN mandate, the US and the UK have no right to go bomb another country in such circumstances.

You are correct in this case. The US didn't receive approval from the UN to enter Iraq ten years ago so it hasn't stopped them from intervening if they believe the cause is worth it.

The US are in a sticky situation. Do they intervene or not, and no matter what they do there will be backlash from both sides. Some will whinge that the US didn't enter Syria and therefore allowed Al Assad to continue these killings against civilians, but if they do intervene, everyone will complain that America's involved in affairs that shouldn't have anything to do with them in the first place.

I know that the situation with Syria is quite complex, so here is a link that kind of answers the questions about the whole situation.

http://www.cfr.org/syria/syrias-crisis- ... /p28402#p5
| 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 |
Woods Of Ypres

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

what a mess. if the current regime gets bombed and tossed aside it wont solve anything. another mob will take over and cycle starts again. Like many of the arab shit hole countries, Syria's population is divided into many tribal and religious factions each with their own violent agendas.

Hooray for Islam - the most barbaric and backwards of all religions.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

^

Generalisation - tick
Bigoted - tick
Over simplification - tick
Needs removal from discussion - tick.
Inflames - tick
Adds to the discussion - nyet.

Shame, it started off so well too.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
HAL

Post by HAL »

What colour are your eyes?
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

HAL wrote:What colour are your eyes?

look into my eyes:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KYVb_OYz6g
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive

Post by think positive »

If the US go in they are sticking their noses in someone else's business.

If they don't, there's no oil there!

They can't win.

Couldn't win Vietnam either, but they tried

I just don't understand how whoever ordered that hit can sleep at night, justify it, and still breath. True evil.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Jezza wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:Without a UN mandate, the US and the UK have no right to go bomb another country in such circumstances.

You are correct in this case. The US didn't receive approval from the UN to enter Iraq ten years ago so it hasn't stopped them from intervening if they believe the cause is worth it.

The US are in a sticky situation. Do they intervene or not, and no matter what they do there will be backlash from both sides. Some will whinge that the US didn't enter Syria and therefore allowed Al Assad to continue these killings against civilians, but if they do intervene, everyone will complain that America's involved in affairs that shouldn't have anything to do with them in the first place.

I know that the situation with Syria is quite complex, so here is a link that kind of answers the questions about the whole situation.

Thanks for the link Jezza.

Interesting, and scary reading
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Fire away. The military have so many new missiles that need testing and what a perfect place to test them on. Collateral damage is acceptable. They are killing each other so no great loss.
thebaldfacts

Post by thebaldfacts »

Jezza wrote:

I remember the first Iraq war with george Bush senior. I gave him full credit at that time as he had a mandate to kick Iraq out of Kuwait. He did this and stopped at the border and did not chase Iraq all the way to Baghdad. He was true to the UN mandate he received.

Going it alone and picking and choosing when to intervene when it suits you is too open to abuse. Either the UN gives a mandate and you follow that, or you do not become the gunslinger imposing your brand of justice.
David

Post by David »

To play devil's advocate, what if the best course of action is currently being blocked at a Security Council level by vested interests (i.e. Russia)?

I don't necessarily see the UN as some great arbiter of right or wrong here, though I suppose it's good to have some form of checks and balances. And I certainly don't think America and the UK can be trusted with the moral high ground here.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange

Post by 5150 »

Culprit wrote:Fire away. The military have so many new missiles that need testing and what a perfect place to test them on. Collateral damage is acceptable. They are killing each other so no great loss.

Now just waiting for the WPT checklist.. :shock:
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.

Post by 3.14159 »

watt price tully wrote:
HAL wrote:What colour are your eyes?

look into my eyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkWtcKBjBnk