Crowds Down in AFL but Up in VFL at Vic Park

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Dave The Man

Crowds Down in AFL but Up in VFL at Vic Park

Post by Dave The Man »

I have found this year that Crowds have been down at AFL Games but I found that this year there are more people coming to the VFL Games at Vic Park.

It that people sick of the Pies Crap like Collingwood Dancers and the Get Loud Stuff?

Also Atmosphere has been really good at vic park
I am Da Man
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Cheaper too.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
didick

Post by didick »

I enjoy Vic Park more with the family atmosphere and no unnecessary AFL frills. Closer to the action too and you actually feel more part of the Collingwood army. Although I have Legends membership (not next season as I am in the midst of moving to Brisbane) I felt more like I was there to support the Pies at Vic Park than supporting the AFL-behemoth when at the G or Etihad. I think a big part of the reason for low crowds across all teams is giving the finger to the AFL hierarchy, particularly with the fixturing, their inconsistency with the MRP, getting shafted by umps regularly, and the general lack of trust supporters have with how the AFL runs the game. And how many furkin 4.40pm Sunday AFL games must we endure??!!!! VFL games are much more time-friendly.
"The night is a very dark time for me" Chaz Michael Michaels
Skids

Post by Skids »

Crowd averages are UP an average of 134/game on last year.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

I am Da Man
Captain_MyCaptain

Post by Captain_MyCaptain »

didick wrote:I enjoy Vic Park more with the family atmosphere and no unnecessary AFL frills. Closer to the action too and you actually feel more part of the Collingwood army. Although I have Legends membership (not next season as I am in the midst of moving to Brisbane) I felt more like I was there to support the Pies at Vic Park than supporting the AFL-behemoth when at the G or Etihad. I think a big part of the reason for low crowds across all teams is giving the finger to the AFL hierarchy, particularly with the fixturing, their inconsistency with the MRP, getting shafted by umps regularly, and the general lack of trust supporters have with how the AFL runs the game. And how many furkin 4.40pm Sunday AFL games must we endure??!!!! VFL games are much more time-friendly.

Got it in one didick.
The window is open my friend!
Fire Up

Post by Fire Up »

the vfl doesn't mess around with the rules every year like the afl does
HAL

Post by HAL »

What is that?
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I've probably been to as many VFL games as AFL games this year. I've been to a lot less AFL games as the scheduling (4:40 Sunday sucks) hasn't worked for me.

I really like what they've done with Vic Park and playing the VFL games there is brilliant, the access to the players is great and so many of the AFL players get down there to support that it's great to see. Really enjoyable.

The AFL is becoming sterile.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stoliboy

Post by stoliboy »

So much to enjoy about a VFL game at Vic Park.

Last time I was there the draw was to go on the field at 1/4 & 3/4 time and listen to the coach's speech and get close to the players.

But it is such a great day. Get to walk around Vic Park and watch the game in different parts of the ground... the old stands, the grass hill, etc

Also last time I was there got to see Kyle Martin carried off the ground for reaching a games milestone... players seems a lot more relaxed, posing for phtos with fans on the field.

Even saw Neal Balme (who ate all the Pies) in his role with Geelong... brough back the funny memories of the "Hot Pies" fanzine and when Balemy was working at the Pies.

Add to that a trip to the Collingwood Children's farm before the game, and even better if it is the same day as an AFL game, you can slowly make your way to the MCG via the Carringbush Hotel or the Westpac Centre.
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

^ the afl started to become sterile when they introduced the ground rationalisation policy and shut up shop with the suburban grounds.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
stoliboy

Post by stoliboy »

Oh and full strength can beer! But as someone else said you can bring your own and sit on the hill.
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
The Prototype

Re: Crowds Down in AFL but Up in VFL at Vic Park

Post by The Prototype »

Dave The Man wrote:I have found this year that Crowds have been down at AFL Games but I found that this year there are more people coming to the VFL Games at Vic Park.

It that people sick of the Pies Crap like Collingwood Dancers and the Get Loud Stuff?

Also Atmosphere has been really good at vic park

Poor scheduling and ticket and food prices I'd lay the blame on plus all the silly changing of the rules. I doubt it has much to do with Collingwood playing badly or anything the Pies are doing wrong.
Carro

Post by Carro »

A day at Vic Park is magic.

In addition to fixing our atrocious fixture, Collingwood really need to lobby for more VFL double headers, with the reserves games at 1PM on Saturdays at 4.40PM AFL at the G, it makes for a ripper day.
neil

Post by neil »

Carro wrote:A day at Vic Park is magic.

In addition to fixing our atrocious fixture, Collingwood really need to lobby for more VFL double headers, with the reserves games at 1PM on Saturdays at 4.40PM AFL at the G, it makes for a ripper day.

Only good if you live in Melbourne
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum