Is Swan our Chappy in waiting?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden

Is Swan our Chappy in waiting?

Post by LaurieHolden »

With the likes of Pendles, Beams, Ball, Adams & Thomas to take care of centre bounce duties, is Bucks looking to reduce the wear and tear on Swanny?
I like prospect of him playing a more permanent role as a Paul Chapman like crumbing forward. He's hard to move 1 on 1, has obvious goal sense and adds a real match-up headache for opposition coaches.

He can still act as centre square impact player when required but have I see real value in him help plug our deficiencies in relation to accuracy in front of goal.

If the Premiership in 3 years is to play out, he has to be a factor although I'm not convinced that without a material change in the way he is managed it will leave a big hole before someone comes close to matching his output level over past 4 seasons.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

I think that's what they'd like all the resting midfielders to do, have an impact up forward when it's their turn out of the midfield. Can't afford to carry them if they can't.

Whether Swanny can be as good a forward as Chappy remains the million dollar question. He's certainly got the tools.

I'd actually be more worried about Luke Ball finding a secondary roll within that paradigm.
Woods

Post by Woods »

Problem is that Swan doesn't like playing forward, and he's making sure it shows.
The Weed

Post by The Weed »

Woods wrote:Problem is that Swan doesn't like playing forward, and he's making sure it shows.

Correct
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

I think people read to much into Swanny's demeanour on the footy field. It's just the way he is.
LALU

Post by LALU »

Agree with Woods, he does not like playing forward.

He needs to play as a midfielder and work hard where he will
retain his fitness and speed.

I'm worried if he plays forward the game will catch up with him sooner rather than later.
Az

Post by Az »

The way Bucks spoke about him yesterday sort of suggests he still is going to be a prominent fixture in the midfield, being adamant Swanny is going to return to his absolute best and show a big spike of improvement. Yes, Swanny is a very handy forward, but he's at his absolute damaging best when he's on the ball. If we plan on winning this game against the Cats, we need him in the engine room doing his thing.
Didaksgoal

Post by Didaksgoal »

Chappy has played most of his time as a forward, then stints in the midfield. Swanny has played 99.999999% as a pure midfielder. For longevity, and to give JT, Adams, and co more time in the guts, I'm ok with it. BUT.............if Swanny is cherry ripe, and our forward-line is going OK, have Swanny in the guts for sure.

Go the Pies
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

I think what Bucks wants to do
I am Da Man
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

I actually think Swanny is our Brent Harvey in waiting....he could have another 5 or 6 years running around in the midfield. He's an incredibly durable player and he seems to have a natural aerobic capacity. Here's hoping! :wink:
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

i like him behind the ball.
no second chances
eddiesmith

Post by eddiesmith »

If he learns to kick that would be fantastic, at his age its probably not going to happen

Would be the clubs most unreliable shot at goal and that's when he actually kicks it over the head of the man on the mark!
E

Post by E »

Az wrote:The way Bucks spoke about him yesterday sort of suggests he still is going to be a prominent fixture in the midfield, being adamant Swanny is going to return to his absolute best and show a big spike of improvement. Yes, Swanny is a very handy forward, but he's at his absolute damaging best when he's on the ball. If we plan on winning this game against the Cats, we need him in the engine room doing his thing.

yes, as soon as his groin settles down, we will see swanny back to his best.....
E

Post by E »

eddiesmith wrote:If he learns to kick that would be fantastic, at his age its probably not going to happen

Would be the clubs most unreliable shot at goal and that's when he actually kicks it over the head of the man on the mark!

That is so silly, its not even worth a response. Rarely misses a shot on goal (and has kicked some gems) and i cant remember him ever kicking into the man on the mark when shooting for goal!!!!

I think you are still upset with his one kick into the man on the mark on the wing from saturday. You need to be careful not to turn one unrelated fact, inform a conclusion about something else.
uncanny

Post by uncanny »

I couldn't agree more E
Swanny has a very uncomplicated set shot routine that works.
His latest goal on Saturday night is the most recent example of this.
Very safe and reliable shot for goal is our Dane, both over a man on the mark and on the run.
woodsmen rule