#19 Cameron Wood

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Duff Soviet Union
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Duff Soviet Union »

Feel the same way about his game today as I did about his last game. Which is to say he wasn't bad, but gave Darren Jolly nothing to worry about either.
"We ain't gotta dream no more"
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Very pleased with his game, horrible conditions for a ruckman and he handled the ball relatively well
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I thought he did ok around the ground but the hitout statistic is rather damning.

For me Woods No.1 priority when Jolly is absent is to provide a strong contest in a ruck and win his fair share of hitouts.

Minson who's no world beater had nearly double the amount.

That's a fail IMO and something he must improve on in a hurry.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Magpie Camo

Post by Magpie Camo »

^ I agree. We must get first use in the guts, and Wood just doesn't give us that. I worry that Jolly wont be ready for the Cats and Ottens will kill him.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

I liked Wood's game, he positioned himself well, did some nice work with the taps and was good around the ground.

It's a big step up from the VFL and he did a god job.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Brenny

Post by Brenny »

Wood did ok in my thoughts :)

Stood up, considering it was wet and greasy. Pass :)
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey, we want some Bayley!
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

I thought it was Woody's best game yet. That said, the Dogs were missing their main ruckman in Hudson, so we must consider the quality of his opponent. The main thing was that he remained involved in the game for four quarters. Well done Woody.
Daicos Mullets

Post by Daicos Mullets »

I actually thought Wood did a pretty reasonable job tonight. Jolly's obviously still our number 1 choice, but Woody seems to be improving. Will be interesting to see how he goes against the Cats, assuming he plays.
Swan is down, Swan kicks the goal! And everything here will be a Magpie celebration!

3RRR

The Pies are back at Vic Park!
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

swoop42 wrote:I thought he did ok around the ground but the hitout statistic is rather damning.

For me Woods No.1 priority when Jolly is absent is to provide a strong contest in a ruck and win his fair share of hitouts.

A bit surprised really. I see Wood as a better centre square tap ruckman than Jolly, who often gets beaten in the hit outs himself.

Still, hit outs aren't overly important, as long as your not allowing easy takeaways for the opposition. I thought Wood was pretty good today, and would not be concerned at all if he had to take on Ottens (similar quality to Mincen these days) in two weeks time.
Well done boys!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

AN_Inkling wrote:
swoop42 wrote:I thought he did ok around the ground but the hitout statistic is rather damning.

A bit surprised really. I see Wood as a better centre square tap ruckman than Jolly, who often gets beaten in the hit outs himself.

Still, hit outs aren't overly important, as long as your not allowing easy takeaways for the opposition. I thought Wood was pretty good today, and would not be concerned at all if he had to take on Ottens (similar quality to Mincen these days) in two weeks time.
After tonight, i reckon play him for the next month. Give Jolly a good spell and have him cherry ripe heading in to finals time when we really need him. the games will only help Wood get his game together in case Jolly goes down in September.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

AN_Inkling wrote:

After tonight, i reckon play him for the next month. Give Jolly a good spell and have him cherry ripe heading in to finals time when we really need him. the games will only help Wood get his game together in case Jolly goes down in September.
cooldewd

Post by cooldewd »

Was OK.

At least he got involved around the ground where typically he spectates.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

I can't believe you lot. First you say "who cares about the damn hitouts, Wood is useless around the ground, and that's what matters". Then, when Woody duly puts together a couple of solid games where he competes around the ground, lays some tackles, takes some marks, even chips in for the odd running handball receive, you turn around and say "oh, a ruckman has to win the hitouts". Make up your damn minds!

(Yeah, yeah, both is nice. But you can't have both, not unless you have a genuine champion ruckman, and even the champions struggle to do both all of the time.)
Last edited by Tannin on Sun May 01, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

^^This. Was kind of an opposite day for him. Usually better with his hit outs than around the ground. At least the endeavour was there, and he gets a big tick from me for that, as it's not always been the case.
Well done boys!
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

Yes he did get beaten but you can't expect him to win every hit out. he was very competitive and serviceable around the ground. they were awful conditions tonight to be playing in and i thought he did reasonably well. he took a few marks, defended well, laid some tackles and did his best to try and win the ball from a contest. i believe he will improve with time. no need to rush jolly back in just yet. i would like to see wood assert himself more in a contest. by that i mean either crunch a pack and take a strong mark or defend. he needs more game time. as other posters have mentioned. jamar took time and so did jolly when he started out.