"The Circle" can VC recipient.

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

David wrote:My brain hurts.
It's less about symmetrical equations or certain objectives and more about the interplay of diverse forces in a homeostatic system.

What is the optimal configuration for the good of everyone?

I'm sure that will help ease your pain :P ;)
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm

Post by 3.14159 »

how dare anybody question the patriotic status quo?
Pi

Post by Pi »

3.14159...etc wrote:Lots Wife?

$1000 for anyone that can tell me what her first name was?
It was something like Eidis, the modern equivalent is probably Edith.

now how about the cash? :lol:
Pi = Infinite = Collingwood = Always
Floreat Pica
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

Roddy wrote:I am a bit late on this but it seems that the woman (yumi?) and Negus were just jealous of the the VC soldier. Many people see a ripped bloke and assume he just works out to compensate for other areas. These people are just lazy and/or jealous because of the commitment and discipline it takes to develop such physique. Tall poppy syndrome.
Jealousy is quite often where nasty stuff and sarcasm comes from, good point
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

pietillidie wrote:
David wrote:My brain hurts.
It's less about symmetrical equations or certain objectives and more about the interplay of diverse forces in a homeostatic system.

What is the optimal configuration for the good of everyone?

I'm sure that will help ease your pain :P ;)
I say burn them at the stake!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

David wrote:I say burn them at the stake!
Speaking of burning at the stake, did you say somewhere you're currently taking time off from uni? WTF?
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

think positive wrote:
Roddy wrote:I am a bit late on this but it seems that the woman (yumi?) and Negus were just jealous of the the VC soldier. Many people see a ripped bloke and assume he just works out to compensate for other areas. These people are just lazy and/or jealous because of the commitment and discipline it takes to develop such physique. Tall poppy syndrome.
Jealousy is quite often where nasty stuff and sarcasm comes from, good point
No doubt there's some petty truth in that and I reckon both your posts represent a very normal level of indignation.

The point I've been trying to make here is that, in contrast, using a mob to damage someone financially or to threaten their safety is clearly an abnormal and dangerous level of indignation.

This is a perfect illustration of the point that it's all about the type and intensity of reaction, not the view per se.
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

Black_White wrote:
David wrote:The vocal minority are well and truly getting their way here, by the sounds of things. Bitch long and hard enough (on Facebook!) and the corporates will cave in eventually. Does anyone actually want The Circle pulled off air over this? What sort of precedent does that set?
Well if they can get Bolt taken off in a 2 for 1 deal I'd be happy.
What do you think of the richest woman in Australia being able to put on her own show simply because of the political slant of the commentator? I would feel happier if it were compelled to have "paid political announcement" before and after.

And....
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainme ... 6295917050
They attempted to have Bolt's programs closed in the early stages but failed. How muck power do you want to give a bunch of left wing keyboard warriors.

Free speech does exist in this country (for the moment in some form) and if you do not like what someone is saying then simply change channels.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Thanks and you are a delightful person too. Spare some change?

Post by 3.14159 »

Pi wrote: now how about the cash? :lol:
sorry mate, trick question.
the book doesn't mention her name.

(it may hav been in the first draft, the one where God created the world 13.27 billions years ago).
David

Post by David »

Member 7167 wrote:
Black_White wrote:
David wrote:The vocal minority are well and truly getting their way here, by the sounds of things. Bitch long and hard enough (on Facebook!) and the corporates will cave in eventually. Does anyone actually want The Circle pulled off air over this? What sort of precedent does that set?
Well if they can get Bolt taken off in a 2 for 1 deal I'd be happy.
What do you think of the richest woman in Australia being able to put on her own show simply because of the political slant of the commentator? I would feel happier if it were compelled to have "paid political announcement" before and after.

And....
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainme ... 6295917050
They attempted to have Bolt's programs closed in the early stages but failed. How muck power do you want to give a bunch of left wing keyboard warriors.

Free speech does exist in this country (for the moment in some form) and if you do not like what someone is saying then simply change channels.
Unless it involves war heroes, of course. In that case, the show ought to be hounded off-air forthwith!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

David, the issue is not with the fact they got into a VC winner, it is because of the less than sincere apologies.
The sheila basically said that she was sorry for what she said because "I didn't know that the reaction would be so violent", and then turned the apology into a tearful announcement of her engagement.
Negus said ""I apologized to him by phone but I get the feeling he didn't think I needed to".
Well George, most of us think you have a small penis which has never bought a woman to orgasm.
No apology from me because I think you reckon I don't need to.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Black_White wrote:David, the issue is not with the fact they got into a VC winner, it is because of the less than sincere apologies.
The sheila basically said that she was sorry for what she said because "I didn't know that the reaction would be so violent", and then turned the apology into a tearful announcement of her engagement.
Negus said ""I apologized to him by phone but I get the feeling he didn't think I needed to".
Well George, most of us think you have a small penis which has never bought a woman to orgasm.
That part had me completely confused. WTF did that have to do with it? She has a boyfriend, in fact he's a fiancee. So? :? WTF was she trying to prove?

Agreed. Dumb comments, say sorry, admit it was a dumb comment, move on. Trying to spin it backfired on them and if all the advertisers pull stumps and the show is cancelled, FTA morning TV just got a fraction more intellectual.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

Black_White wrote:David, the issue is not with the fact they got into a VC winner, it is because of the less than sincere apologies.
The addition of another trivial annoying thing changes nothing. Annoying knobs versus damaging mob; the difference is plainly obvious. An exchange of harsh words is usually the end of it for normal adults - right or left.
David

Post by David »

I doubt he'd care or be particularly interested in receiving one.

I have no interest in whether or not Stynes or Negus sounded sincere during their public apologies. Sure, Stynes' justification sounds inane (although George's sounded pretty reasonable from what I heard), but it's kind of irrelevant anyway - I hate public apologies in general. They're a purely PR-based thing, and it's the whole PR situation that really stinks about this case. It's just absurd. They apologised to Ben privately; surely that's case closed. A public apology is, essentially, an apology to the people of Australia, and I don't think we require one.