The Hydra ~ Caro rears her head again

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

magpie JOE wrote:Dear weed if i call Mike Sheahan a wanker which I am Not but for the sake of this, am I sexist cos only males can wank.This is a serious question.
Wow... you really don't know much about women, do you?! :lol:
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
MagpieMad

Post by MagpieMad »

weed where in this thread was she called a "dog" or "slutface"??????
Slayer said "give the dog a bone. !" which he meant in a different way to what you're thinking, so who's the sexist? sounds like you have issue's m8.
"But to say she has no credentials smacks of ignorance and prejudice" you label people ignorant and prejudiced, far to easily on here. then hide it behind some sense of percieved outrage or insult for her, all of which is hapening in your head.
Pain heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory..... lasts forever!
Mike
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Mike »

I'm aware that you object to the abuse dished out to Caroline Wilson because of her gender, appearance, whatever comes to hand, rather than her journalistic ability and I agree with you.

But the comment that I was responding to in this thread was this:
Using labels like "dog", "sweetie" etc suggests to me that some people still can't accept a woman calling a game played by men.
What I was saying in my post was that I don't believe that she is abused because she is a 'woman calling a game played by men', but because of her views and the way she expresses them. The fact that people use inappropriate language and denigrate rather than criticise because they don't like her is a different matter altogether.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

nice pick up magpie mad

Im not even going to address this person, ive given a reply, to which - its been chosen to be ignored.

Someones wanting to put on the cape and save the world .......
The only way to discover the limits of the possible, is to go beyond them, to the impossible.
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

magpiemad wrote:weed where in this thread was she called a "dog" or "slutface"??????
Slayer said "give the dog a bone. !" which he meant in a different way to what you're thinking, so who's the sexist? sounds like you have issue's m8.
"But to say she has no credentials smacks of ignorance and prejudice" you label people ignorant and prejudiced, far to easily on here. then hide it behind some sense of percieved outrage or insult for her, all of which is hapening in your head.
She was called "slutface" in a previous thread last week. It was edited out by MargOZ for the mods.

Am I throwing about labels like ignorant and prejudiced lightly? Hardly. When you talk about journolists [sic] getting a degree in speaking crap, that that sounds pretty prejudiced about the profession and those who practice it to me.

I'm not "hiding" behind anything, I just don't believe in using peoples gender, race or anything else in order to make a point. The fact that you can't accept that without resorting to insults makes me think perhaps you're the one with the issues.
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
Joe

Post by Joe »

the_weed wrote:
magpie JOE wrote:Dear weed if i call Mike Sheahan a wanker which I am Not but for the sake of this, am I sexist cos only males can wank.This is a serious question.
I am glad you put in lol mate.You still havent answered the question mate,hopefully with respect you understand what am I am trying to say.I am not a gyno but I get your point.I think that you are backing away from this mate.
Joe

Post by Joe »

As I said earlier you cant really take what is written to be someones opinion in most cases as it is only being writtrn to make $$$$$$$$$$$ and sell papers or get viewers.It is just light entertainment.
I dont take most writers too seriously
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

Slayer wrote:nice pick up magpie mad

Im not even going to address this person, ive given a reply, to which - its been chosen to be ignored.

Sorry if you felt ignored, Slayer. I was responding to the points more generally as I saw them. I'll respond to people like magpiemad if they want to get into me personally. You didn't do that.

I don't have time to save the world, but I do have a right to an opinion, just as you do. Plenty of people here would seem to prefer to attack me for those opinions, rather than try to argue the point. Perhaps it makes them too uncomfortable.
London Dave

Post by London Dave »

the_weed wrote: I just don't believe in using peoples gender, race or anything else in order to make a point.
Oi!!!!! Using the football team they support is perfectly OK!
Joe

Post by Joe »

the_weed wrote:
Slayer wrote:nice pick up magpie mad

Sorry if you felt ignored, Slayer. I was responding to the points more generally as I saw them. I'll respond to people like magpiemad if they want to get into me personally. You didn't do that.

I don't have time to save the world, but I do have a right to an opinion, just as you do. Plenty of people here would seem to prefer to attack me for those opinions, rather than try to argue the point. Perhaps it makes them too uncomfortable.
I am trying mate.I may be wrong in my opinion but clearly you have not shown that to be the case.If you do I will change my attitude in this area Weed.
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

magpie JOE wrote:
the_weed wrote:
I am glad you put in lol mate.You still havent answered the question mate,hopefully with respect you understand what am I am trying to say.I am not a gyno but I get your point.I think that you are backing away from this mate.
OK, since you asked. No, to call Mike Sheahan a wanker would not be sexist because, contrary to your understanding, women can and do wank too (right girls?!) I wouldn't think it was sexist if you called CW a wanker either.

If you criticise HER WORK by referring to her or belittling her on the basis of her gender - yes, I think that is sexist. Just as if you belittled an Aboriginal player's skills on the basis of his race, that would be racist.

I'm not saying this to stir you up or have you on or get personal, with any of you for that matter. It's something I genuinely think you should give more consideration to, and I'm within my rights to make that point.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

rofl
magpie joe

my comments were'nt aimed at U

I was refering to weed continually misquoting me even after id explained the context id used my give the dog a bone in.

Nuttin to do with u :) ........ IM a bad guy in all this as well rofl
apparently ......

Im happy to just ignore this guy :)
The only way to discover the limits of the possible, is to go beyond them, to the impossible.
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

London Dave wrote:
the_weed wrote: I just don't believe in using peoples gender, race or anything else in order to make a point.
Oi!!!!! Using the football team they support is perfectly OK!
Oh yeah, forgot about that, sorry - there are always exceptions :wink:
Mike
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Mike »

Incidentally Weed, highlighting a person's spelling in a point scoring exercise is another way of highlighting an alleged superiority and is not that far removed from scoring points from differences in sex, race or religion.
MagpieMad

Post by MagpieMad »

LMAO!
"The fact that you can't accept that without resorting to insults makes me think perhaps you're the one with the issues" who's insulting who???? you post in a thread about about a percieved gender related issue, you then label all and sundary as "ignorant and prejudiced" and then try to fob off the insult as mine???. your rant in here about her being called "names" is just that, a rant, and had very little to do with this thread except in YOUR head.
as for me being prejudiced against journo's, wouldn't have even come up had you not started with the "ignorant and prejudiced" line. I have no problems with being prejudiced against journo's, its a heavy load to bear, but I'll manage.
"I just don't believe in using peoples gender, race or anything else in order to make a point." which wasn't the case in the first place. I don't have any gender or racism issue's at all, I grew up in Australia's most multicutural community and could care less about a person's race or gender, I call all m8.
Pain heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory..... lasts forever!