The Hydra ~ Caro rears her head again

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mike
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Mike »

Fixed Joe
Joe

Post by Joe »

the_weed wrote:I'm not trying to avoid what you said Magpie Joe. I answered you on the previous page.

This is getting to be a fairly esoteric argument (maybe one for the Tavern rather than here) but I'll try again to explain my point. I'm as serious as Magpie Joe is and I don't want to be misunderstood.

We use terms like dog/bitch/slut as a way of putting women down, just as we use terms like [snip] to put black people down. It's the same principle. I'm not aware of any terms specifically invented to put men down ("wanker" certainly doesn't qualify - what is a term that only a male can be involved in?) You might say "prick", but that's more general, it's not used to insult someone on the basis of their gender. Yet, when we really dislike someone, we might use the C-word for greater effect.

Hope that makes it clearer.
Was that esoterical or isometrical.lmao rofl
Sorry mate couldnot help myself.
As a journo you should use language that we all understand.
Not even the oxford understands this word as the meaning also makes no sense.lol lmao rofl
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

magpie JOE wrote:I dont appreciate terms like dog,bitch or slut being used about women.
I have called my female partners sweetie in an affectionate way and also in unfriendly ways I guess during an argument. I still fail to see how that makes me a sexist pig who deserves to burn in hell with pitch forks up my crack lol. lmao.
Oh c'mon Magpie Joe, when did I or anyone else say that? You're not being persecuted just because I happened to disagree with you. At least everyone else seems to be on your side! :lol: As for esoteric, I just meant obscure, and probably of not much interest to people interested in discussing Collingwood's fortunes.

And re my own writing, if you're interested, you could start with my own match reports, which have been going down well lately. I do them for fun, the same reason I contribute to this site. I'm not interested in brawling but I will stick up for people if I believe they're getting the rough end of the stick.
Last edited by Pied Piper on Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
Joe

Post by Joe »

Mike you are leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd.
Joe

Post by Joe »

the_weed wrote:
magpie JOE wrote:I dont appreciate terms like dog,bitch or slut being used about women.
I have called my female partners sweetie in an affectionate way and also in unfriendly ways I guess during an argument. I still fail to see how that makes me a sexist pig who deserves to burn in hell with pitch forks up my crack lol. lmao.
Oh c'mon Magpie Joe, when did I or anyone else say that? You're not being persecuted just because I happened to disagree with you. At least everyone else seems to be on your side! :lol:

Arent you calling me sexist for calling women sweetie in a derogatory way mate.I think it is disrespectful but not necessarily sexist.It depends on the tone that is used.
Joe

Post by Joe »

That is proof that you fixed it Mike.
You must be a Collingwood supporter.lol
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

magpie JOE wrote:Arent you calling me sexist for calling women sweetie in a derogatory way mate.I think it is disrespectful but not necessarily sexist.It depends on the tone that is used.
Well... disrespectful or sexist? At least you're happy to admit you used the term sweetie in a derogatory way (others as I've said have used far worse terms). As for whether it's disrespectful or sexist, that's a pretty fine line you're treading. When you use a term like sweetie to criticise a woman's work, it sounds pretty sexist to me. Your argument would be stronger if you stuck to criticising the work, rather than calling names.
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
Joe

Post by Joe »

the_weed wrote:
magpie JOE wrote:Arent you calling me sexist for calling women sweetie in a derogatory way mate.I think it is disrespectful but not necessarily sexist.It depends on the tone that is used.
Well... disrespectful or sexist? At least you're happy to admit you used the term sweetie in a derogatory way (others as I've said have used far worse terms). As for whether it's disrespectful or sexist, that's a pretty fine line you're treading. When you use a term like sweetie to criticise someone's work, it sounds pretty sexist to me. Your argument would be stronger if you stuck to criticising the work, rather than calling names.
At no point did I deny what I said,nor that It was derogatory.I also said that she may be a nice person off the show.
The way she is on the show is pox,she has a negative,know it all,bitter demeanor.possibly the victim of small man syndrome.As an actor,reporter,presenter or peformer she sucks.She may be nothing like this off air.I was only attacking her in reference to her comments and tv appearances and not as a person.Its all about presentation and attitude and personally she is irritating.The fact that she was born female has nothing to do with it.Yes it can be a fine line,only the person making the comment really knows.Others are assuming in this case.
Joe

Post by Joe »

I have learnt now,I am criticising her work without using names am I not.
Donny
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Donny »

No, it's sexist if only used towards a woman.

Joe, it's not sexist if you would be just as comfortable using 'sweetie' when abusing Bruce or Mike.

If Joe used it in the same way with either sex, it would still be derogatory or sarcastic but not sexist. Just Joe's terminology.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Northern Pie

Post by Northern Pie »

I for one actually have to apologise for the way in which I have used Caro as an obvious target according to her gender, it is wrong and actually quite offensive..and I sincerely apologise for it.. I will say that she is obviously a Collingwood Hater and states it in pretty much all of her dealings as a Jurno, but atleast, unlike shite mike is very consistant in her bagging of the club and doesn't seem to jump on the bandwagon. Facts are that COLLINGWOOD sells newspapers. Even Lou the lip and our beloved Tony Shaw have given the club an absolute shelacking at times, and what it boils down to is that when people talk Collingwood, no matter whether it is negative or positive...people listen....so I guess while we sit here and bag her as well as indulge in a little gender abuse, we ourselves are keeping her in her job....Caro's articles and journo comments should be treated like a Harrold Robbins Novel...pretty much put down and disregarded after one paragraph.

Cheers
Last edited by Northern Pie on Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Pie

Post by Northern Pie »

Actually doesn't Bruce Use sweetie whenever he refers to McCloud??

cheers
Joe

Post by Joe »

MAGFAN8 wrote:No, it's sexist if only used towards a woman.

Joe, it's not sexist if you would be just as comfortable using 'sweetie' when abusing Bruce or Mike.

If Joe used it in the same way with either sex, it would still be derogatory or sarcastic but not sexist. Just Joe's terminology.
Possibly Donnie.
Would you state your life on this fact.
This is not absolute truth my brother regardless of any reasoning that we may have one way or another.
Joe

Post by Joe »

I enjoyed that.
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

magpie JOE wrote:Yes it can be a fine line,only the person making the comment really knows.Others are assuming in this case.
That's the problem unfortunately. Those who read your post can only go on what they read - you can't be upset that they haven't interpreted your post in exactly the way you meant it. That's why I said I thought your comment was sexist (not you personally).

There was a thread on the Williams Sisters a week ago. A few people were making some comments that were astonishingly racist, but when a non-white member of the list tried to say why he found their comments offensive, they all said the same thing - I didn't mean it that way; I was just being funny; if you're offended it must be you that has the problem. To me this is a very similar kind of argument.

It all boils down to treating other people with respect, even if you don't respect their views. I don't see why that should be so controversial.