Vale #42 Darren Millane (1965-1991)

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Dragme
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Dragme »

carn_the_pies wrote:Cant believe 19 years have passed. So glad we won the flag in our 42nd GF. Very fitting.
I'm always looking at the numbers and the omens and didn't pick up on this one. Thanks.
dalyc wrote:If we make the GF next year and win it, perhaps we should get Mrs Millane to present the trophy?
No. Not a good idea.

Mrs Elise Rose is the only one in the modern era that has had the honour of presenting the cup for a family member.
Bob Rose was suppose to do the 2003 Cup but passed away 2 months before the GF. If only we did it for Bobby.

There would certainly be a huge list of potential presenters before another family member will ever get the gig again.
cmfc_82

Post by cmfc_82 »

Exactlty a year and 1 day after the greatness of '90.

Every year on October 6 I wake up with a massive smile on my face as I reflect on that famous day in Collingwood history but for that smile to be quickly removed within a day by sadness as I remember the great Darren Millane and what he stood for.

VINTAGE DARREN MILLANE

R.I.P
"There's no team we'd rather see winning, and there's no team that likes winning more. When its all said and done, and the Premiership's won, its Collingwood, forever more..."
BUCKS THE GREATEST

Darren 'Pants' Millane 22 years on

Post by BUCKS THE GREATEST »

The Raging Bull from Victoria Park. The hardest and toughest player I have ever seen. My childhood memory on the fence at Vic Park as a boy watching him take strong overhead marks and the sound of his body shirtfront the opposition was spine tingling. He never took a backward step and the number 42 was a great footballer. Vintage Darren Millane loved and never forgotten.

Post your favorite memory of a the legend known as Pants
DAICOS might try the torpedo here, he does and THUMPS it LOOK AT THAT its home!!!
BUCKS THE GREATEST

Post by BUCKS THE GREATEST »

One story I was told by ex Dandy players was a pre season that consisted of them running in a group of about 8 players with a wheelbarrow full of bricks. The last part of the run was a massive hill. Pants grabbed hold of the wheelbarrow and overtook two teams from about 500M back and won the race beating his group over the line.
DAICOS might try the torpedo here, he does and THUMPS it LOOK AT THAT its home!!!
Magpie Camo

Post by Magpie Camo »

This date always sticks in my mind for 2 reasons.

Darren Millane and my Grandad who passed away this day 5 years ago.

It's eerie my Grandad passed on Oct 7 because Darren Millane was his favourite modern day player.

As I remember them both I like to think they are having a couple of quiet ones in that great Social Club in the sky.

Forever remembered.
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

Thinking of Pants this morning as I drove through the fateful intersection.

Post by 3.14159 »

My favourite memory of Pants was the 1990 finals and Dazzler throwing the ball in the air when the final siren blew.
He played the whole series with a broken thumb (finger?) and dominating anyway.
There was a joke going round that if his broken digit healed we'd have get a bit 2 be 4 and rebreak it for the Granny.
I had a drink with Jamie Turner years later.
Turner said he liked playing with Pants because his eye-sight was shot and Pants all ways let you know exactly where he was.

R.I.P Pants,
Your a part of football folk-lore.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

LEGEND. He will always be remembered long, long after a certain no. 13 is long forgotten. Pants was black n white to the core, one in a million !!
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

An all time favorite. Always happy to chat with supporters in the social club after the game.
King Monkey
Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

Post by King Monkey »

RIP great one.
"I am a great sage, equal of heaven.
Grow stick, grow.
Fly cloud, fly.
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
loki04

Post by loki04 »

Piesnchess wrote:LEGEND. He will always be remembered long, long after a certain no. 13 is long forgotten. Pants was black n white to the core, one in a million !!
The issue is with the number 42 retired his memory will fade, imo what they did with number 35 should of been done for the 42 guernsey. also should put DM initials just under the neck of the collar.

Would then give fresh meaning to the jumper and also the family wont feel like someone is making the number their own as it will continually have a new player each year.
Although I think there comes a time when the guernsey decision should be taken out of their hands completely.
Up the Mighty Mags 2016.
jg22

Post by jg22 »

Like the cut of your jib Loki. Great idea.
Was lucky enough to know Pants socially when he and the inspector would regularly travel to my home town in country Vic to get away from the ever growing eye of the Melbourne media. Lived life real hard, but the next morning, no matter the size of his hangover or headache, would make his way to the kid's ward at the hospital with goodies for the . And if a kid was a Carlton supporter who wanted a jumper signed by Kouta, he'd make sure it got to him. Godfather to my nephew and just one of the nicest blokes I've had the pleasure of knowing, much less admire his deeds on the field. A dead-set legend of the club. RIP great one.
Explain it to me like I'm a four year old. Ted Whitten is an AFL legend, and Bob Rose isn't?
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

A champion at rest.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

loki04 wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:LEGEND. He will always be remembered long, long after a certain no. 13 is long forgotten. Pants was black n white to the core, one in a million !!
The issue is with the number 42 retired his memory will fade, imo what they did with number 35 should of been done for the 42 guernsey. also should put DM initials just under the neck of the collar.

Would then give fresh meaning to the jumper and also the family wont feel like someone is making the number their own as it will continually have a new player each year.
Although I think there comes a time when the guernsey decision should be taken out of their hands completely.
I have no doubt at all that Pants, being the loyal clubman he truly was, would have loved seeing a no. 42 running around now, he would be chuffed. But of course, its a delicate issue for his family, and its the familys decision, and the club respects that naturally. It would be great to see a talented young kid wearing 42 again though. :idea:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
loki04

Post by loki04 »

jg22 wrote:Like the cut of your jib Loki. Great idea.
Was lucky enough to know Pants socially when he and the inspector would regularly travel to my home town in country Vic to get away from the ever growing eye of the Melbourne media. Lived life real hard, but the next morning, no matter the size of his hangover or headache, would make his way to the kid's ward at the hospital with goodies for the . And if a kid was a Carlton supporter who wanted a jumper signed by Kouta, he'd make sure it got to him. Godfather to my nephew and just one of the nicest blokes I've had the pleasure of knowing, much less admire his deeds on the field. A dead-set legend of the club. RIP great one.
Definitely sounds like he was a top bloke and definitely a Collingwood legend, I just feel seeing his number running around again would reinforce his playing legacy.
Up the Mighty Mags 2016.