Farewell #13 Taylor Adams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

He'll most likely overtake Blair and Thomas in our midfield rotation before the season is out IMO.

The club wouldn't have been so keen to snare him and give up Shaw in the process if they weren't confident in his ability to be best 22 at our club.

The hard nut midfielder we need to compete against the likes of Hawthorn with young Freeman the other with his speed and Swan like body shape who should help close the gap with last seasons top 4.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

swoop42 wrote:He'll most likely overtake Blair and Thomas in our midfield rotation before the season is out IMO.

The club wouldn't have been so keen to snare him and give up Shaw in the process if they weren't confident in his ability to be best 22 at our club.

The hard nut midfielder we need to compete against the likes of Hawthorn with young Freeman the other with his speed and Swan like body shape who should help close the gap with last seasons top 4.
Agree with most of that Swoop. Not too sure about him "overtaking" Thomas who I think had a fantastic 2013 season and will only improve from here. Bit of a luxury having multiple potential gun in & under mids developing to replace Ball and to a lesser extent Swan when they eventually hang up the boots.
rand corp

Post by rand corp »

Happy with the trade and the price paid.

Heater, whilst a great club champion was not a shadow of his best last year and is coming to the end of his career, probably has two years left in him.
Adams will be a top line midfielder for years to come and should be at the peak of his game when players like Swan and Ball are ready to pull up stumps.
Stupied

Post by Stupied »

dalyc wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
dalyc wrote: Just watched it ..2 hours of my life I won't get back ... Still not impressed. Slow like the ox. Most disposals picked up when the suns were buggered from kicking 14 goals in front.

In Hine we trust but I don't see Adams in the best 22 this year.

Very happy to be wrong.
Well GWS was always 14 Goals Down.

I think you are underrating his Speed. He is a In and Under type so he does not have to be overly quick.

Well what has been said about him and pies building him up. Many People think you are very wrong.

I am one was well. Always Put's In 100% and Has Great Stats to Back him up.

All the Experts Rave on about him
I hope you're right. As for the experts I think they all raved about jack watts when he was drafted.
Experts raving over a kid who has only played schoolboy footy is very different to experts raving over a kid who has proven himself over two seasons of senior AFL footy.
Stupied

Post by Stupied »

Lazza wrote:
dalyc wrote:
Dave The Man wrote: Well GWS was always 14 Goals Down.

I think you are underrating his Speed. He is a In and Under type so he does not have to be overly quick.

Well what has been said about him and pies building him up. Many People think you are very wrong.

I am one was well. Always Put's In 100% and Has Great Stats to Back him up.

All the Experts Rave on about him
I hope you're right. As for the experts I think they all raved about jack watts when he was drafted.
Yeah, I too dislike all this unrealistic expectations and build up on a kid who has played only a handful of AFL games. Lets wait and see how he goes in the VFL side first. Lets not do a Josh Fraser on him and rush him too fast......... :roll:
The guy will be playing his third season of AFL. If he's good enough, it's not unrealistic to expect him to play nearly every game this season (barring injury).
Why are people acting like he is just some new draftee when he's played 31 games already? He's not a skinny kid. He has a good sized body, AFL hardened, and from all accounts seems to be on track for a round 1 debut with the pies.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Stupied

Post by Stupied »

Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Stupied

Post by Stupied »

True. The heat is making me a bit crazy :?
September Zeros

Post by September Zeros »

I can see both sides of the coin here. I'm all for keeping the lid on things yet proven and to be honest I haven't seen much of him yet, but part of enjoying your footy is hoping and wanting great things from guys who haven the potential. Statistically he looks the goods and statistically at the top level he looks to have the potential to be a solid starter and maybe even more...thus I'm ok with getting excited about his inclusion. Why not its all part of the journey.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Post by Tannin »

Stupied wrote:Why are people acting like he is just some new draftee when he's played 31 games already? He's not a skinny kid. He has a good sized body, AFL hardened, and from all accounts seems to be on track for a round 1 debut with the pies.
Just so. He has played, in fact, almost exactly the same number of games that Brent Macaffer had played at this time last year - and Caff went on to play in 22 matches for us, along the way gaining a reputation as the third-best tagger in the comp. And Caff was coming off a very nasty long-term injury where Adams is fully fit and putting in a strong pre-season.

Every reason to expect this kid to play seniors from Round 1. We don't expect him to be an instant star, and we don't expect him to be amongst our best every single week, but all else being equal he will slot in and find his place as a valuable member of the 2014 team. In later years, he could well become a club champion, but then I could say that about Broomhead or Sidebottom or Williams or Seedsman or Oxley or Freeman. Right now, his target is to play seniors every week and keep on getting picked to play seniors 'coz of his work ethic, his team play, and his solid form. If I am any judge, he will hit that target, then go looking to raise the bar. One step at a time: let's see your senior form in black and white, young Adams. Show us what you've got!
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Lazza wrote:
... usually in my opinion, having unrealistically high expectations sets himself up for failure in the eyes of fans...... :roll: History has shown this to be the case many times over. People here are expecting him to win Brownlow medals, Coleman medals and captain the club ffs! How much more bloody lead do you want to put in his saddle?

This specific focus on him is solely because Heater left and was kinda replaced by Adams. I too have great hopes in him delivering at Collingwood in the long run but to expect regular blinders, 30 plus possesion games and match winning efforts in his first ever season at Collingwood is asking for trouble......... :roll:
Spot on. So often we see good young players built up to be superstars just 'coz they have learned how to lace their boots up already. That is just asking for trouble - it's the equivalent of mentally kicking the goal of the day when you haven't actually taken possession of the pill yet - mostly in that case you wind up getting clean bowled by it and watching your opponent run off, making you look stupid.

The kid will be a keeper, but he will play his footy one week at a time. Which is as it should be.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
stoid

Post by stoid »

I will quote just one "fact"... "Statistics show that while he was selected at pick 13 in the 2011 national draft, he has been the second-best performer from that crop behind Port Adelaide's Chad Wingard".

Now with our development program, I can't see why we shouldn't expect him to do well. I personally know someone who has done some tests on him in the AFL system, and he said that this guy is soooo switched on. Not dissimilar to one Nathan Buckley, as far as professionalism and desire for success is concerned.

Check it out on the third paragraph down... Enjoy!

source http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/g ... 6740523562
cityslick1

Post by cityslick1 »

There is a reason why GWS played hardball with this trade... they know the potential of Adams & that he offers more future value than H Shaw.

He is on a development curve similar to Dayne Beams from a few years ago. Doesn't mean he'll win a Copeland, but the potential is there.

Kudos to Buckley for doing this trade, as many clubs haven't been smart or ballsy enough to do these types of trades in the past... trading a player who still has genuine currency, but is past their best or on a downward trend, for someone on an upward trend.

Trading Didak after season 2011 would have been a master stroke, but people would have been screaming down the houses. How much did he end up delivering in the past two years though?

Can't be too sentimental about these things if you want to stay ahead of the pack, and replenishing player stocks is a key ingredient to success that Bucks looks keen to rectify. Dale Thomas situation another example of this...

Foresight rather than short term security goes a long way.