#12 Matt Scharenberg

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Proud Pies wrote:Josh Thomas is an example. We recruited him and his first season he didn't play VFL til about June as he had surgery on both his shins. It was something we knew would need to be done and we recruited him anyway.

I for one am glad we did.
We didn't use pick 6 on josh.

And if we have to wait 3 years to see shazza then i think we'd all conclude using 6 was a mistake.

That said, let's hope we see him this year
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

We consistently pick players with a flaw. It's Hine trademark: he has picked a lot of high-quality midgets; young Reid who looked promising but had to stand up twice to cast a shadow; Grundy under an injury cloud; Brown with a dud knee; Scarenberg with dodgy feet; Thomas with shin troubles, and so on. This is a deliberate policy, by the look of things. Hine takes the long-term view, he doesn't care what a player in the 2014 draft will do in 2015, he cares about what he will do in 2017 and 2020. He also knows that every other list manager has looked at every other player in the top 60 or 80, so to get value from his picks he goes looking for mistakes, especially looking for players they have under-valued because of some visible flaw that, in the longer-term, Hine reckons might not matter too much.

So, really, this is just more of the same policy we have been seeing for years. Which is better? (a) A potential good player in good shape? Or (b) potential great player with an injury? Player (a) is the sort who will get you into the final eight if all goes well. Player (b) is the sort who, if it works out, will win you premierships. There is some risk. Yep. No risk, no gain - and Hine is a master at calculating the risks and betting with the smart money.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
E

Post by E »

Tannin wrote:We consistently pick players with a flaw. It's Hine trademark: he has picked a lot of high-quality midgets; young Reid who looked promising but had to stand up twice to cast a shadow; Grundy under an injury cloud; Brown with a dud knee; Scarenberg with dodgy feet; Thomas with shin troubles, and so on. This is a deliberate policy, by the look of things. Hine takes the long-term view, he doesn't care what a player in the 2014 draft will do in 2015, he cares about what he will do in 2017 and 2020. He also knows that every other list manager has looked at every other player in the top 60 or 80, so to get value from his picks he goes looking for mistakes, especially looking for players they have under-valued because of some visible flaw that, in the longer-term, Hine reckons might not matter too much.

So, really, this is just more of the same policy we have been seeing for years. Which is better? (a) A potential good player in good shape? Or (b) potential great player with an injury? Player (a) is the sort who will get you into the final eight if all goes well. Player (b) is the sort who, if it works out, will win you premierships. There is some risk. Yep. No risk, no gain - and Hine is a master at calculating the risks and betting with the smart money.
And this is a wonderful policy when you have pick 65 because there is no down side (the regular 65th pick is unlikely to make it wo a lfawed genius that you might turn around is a good strategy). Sometimes simply picking the sixth best player in the country (and minimizing injury downside) is the best use of the 6th pick. I will never forgive Judkins for trying to outsmart the country by passing on the chance to take a known quanitity like Haselby or Pavlich (which is who we would have been choosing between had we kept the three pick - Freo took Haselby at 2 and left Pavlich for 4 because they knew Richmond were looking for a midfielder - if we were there at 2 i suspect they would have taken Pavlich).

With that said, i agree that it is simply not even worth debating the merits of taking a player at number 6 becasue he is not a star in round 1. I wonder how well the other top 10 draft picks went this weekend????? Its a silly exercise and only worth debating two years in.

I actually remember us all being very upset in the first few weeks of Pendlebury's time as a magpie because he didn't show much early.....
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Tannin wrote:We consistently pick players with a flaw. It's Hine trademark: he has picked a lot of high-quality midgets; young Reid who looked promising but had to stand up twice to cast a shadow; Grundy under an injury cloud; Brown with a dud knee; Scarenberg with dodgy feet; Thomas with shin troubles, and so on. This is a deliberate policy, by the look of things. Hine takes the long-term view, he doesn't care what a player in the 2014 draft will do in 2015, he cares about what he will do in 2017 and 2020. He also knows that every other list manager has looked at every other player in the top 60 or 80, so to get value from his picks he goes looking for mistakes, especially looking for players they have under-valued because of some visible flaw that, in the longer-term, Hine reckons might not matter too much.

I think Hine watches Moneyball every morning before breakfast.
E

Post by E »

E wrote:

And this is a wonderful policy when you have pick 65 because there is no down side (the regular 65th pick is unlikely to make it so a flawed or injured genius that you might turn around or might come good is well worth the downside risk).

However, the 6th pick is different. In that case, i believe that simply picking the sixth best player in the country (and minimizing injury downside) is the best use of the 6th pick. I will never forgive Judkins for trying to outsmart the country by passing on the chance to take a known quanitity like Haselby or Pavlich (which is who we would have been choosing between had we kept the three pick - Freo took Haselby at 2 and left Pavlich for 4 because they knew Richmond were looking for a midfielder - if we were there at 3 i suspect they would have taken Pavlich).

With that said, i agree that it is simply not even worth debating the merits of taking a player at number 6 becasue he is not a star in round 1. I wonder how well the other top 10 draft picks went this weekend????? Its a silly exercise and only worth debating two years in.

I actually remember us all being very upset in the first few weeks of Pendlebury's time as a magpie because he didn't show much early.....
MOTR

Post by MOTR »

Be Staunch, Be Proud, Be Collingwood
MOTR

Re: Scharenberg - regrets?

Post by MOTR »

dalyc wrote:Hi all, the lasts two paragraphs of this article makes me wonder whether we're regretting picking shazza at 6. I hope we haven't stuffed it.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... hvltd.html
The article doesn't make it clear where the concerns are coming from. Perhaps it's the clubs who baulked that are having regrets they weren't better informed on the day.
Be Staunch, Be Proud, Be Collingwood
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Scharenberg - regrets?

Post by dalyc »

MOTR wrote:
dalyc wrote:Hi all, the lasts two paragraphs of this article makes me wonder whether we're regretting picking shazza at 6. I hope we haven't stuffed it.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... hvltd.html
The article doesn't make it clear where the concerns are coming from. Perhaps it's the clubs who baulked that are having regrets they weren't better informed on the day.
Yes, that's a possibility too
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Albert Parker

Post by Albert Parker »

One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Stinger

Post by Stinger »

Wokko

Post by Wokko »

A young up and coming Ruckman by the name of Brodie Grundy missed a huge whack of football as well. Cemented the number 1 ruck spot by the end of the year. I wouldn't be worried about Scharenberg just yet. You don't often draft a ready to go player that high in the draft.
woftam

Post by woftam »

Not worried about him at all. Our guys knew his feet issues before drafting him & said they were extremely confident that he would be able to get on top of it. They tried just rest first & after he resumed with some pain still there, they bit the bullet & performed a similar operation to that of Josh Thomas. Thomas's feet have been fine since.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Wokko wrote:A young up and coming Ruckman by the name of Brodie Grundy missed a huge whack of football as well. Cemented the number 1 ruck spot by the end of the year. I wouldn't be worried about Scharenberg just yet. You don't often draft a ready to go player that high in the draft.
A few years ago, a young magpie named Dawes missed a fair bit of his first season and ended up being a premiership player.... :roll: