Farewell #13 Taylor Adams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Breadcrawl

Post by Breadcrawl »

Tannin wrote:Blair puts in one good game every three weeks, on average. It's a bit harsh to drop him, but look at it this way: what can Blair bring to our game, on a good day, that Adams doesn't do too, and do just as well? Ans: nothing much. And what does Adams bring that Blair can't provide? About 10 more possessions every match. Simply, with Adams in and Blair out, we would be a one-goal-better side, and that's a difference well worth having.
100% agree on all points
they can smell what we're cookin'
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

mattys123 wrote:
Tannin wrote:Adams should certainly come in ... but who the hell do you leave out? I can't think of a single player from the Norf game who you could sensibly drop. At least not so far, I'm only up to the second quarter on the replay. I suppose Blair is the weakest, but he was still doing his bit.
If you want to be really harsh, maybe Langdon? The kid has just been off the pace a little bit the last two weeks, a few runs in the 2's might do him the world of good.

But yeah, Adams, Brown and Dwyer all could come in, but who goes out?
Yes, Langdon is about ready to have a spell in the twos, I reckon. But off the top of my head, I can't see who we have busting the selection door down who could be a like-for-like replacement. He will probably stay in for the time being, I'm thinking, 'coz neither Dwyer nor Brown are a match for his role.

As for those two, Dwyer might have to wait his turn, and you'd reckon Brown would come in for Keeffe, which is a pity, 'coz Keeffe has recovered from his slow start and is, little by little, becoming more useful each game. He's much more versatile than Brown and covers more territory. I'd have Keeffe in and leave Brown out unless we are playing a side with an old-fashioned monster forward. Pretty much the only one of those going around these days (apart from Cloke) is Jonathon Brown. Err ... and Chris Dawes of Melbourne. Oh, and the J-Pod. Um, and Geelong's fat boy who's name escapes me at the moment.

Edit: Hawkins.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Breadcrawl

Post by Breadcrawl »

Hopefully Seedsman has Langdon's role soon enough, because he is ready for a spell.

Langdon can give Maxy a chopout for a couple weeks later in the year, to prime him for yet another finals series
they can smell what we're cookin'
Neil Appleby

Post by Neil Appleby »

Blairey wasn't our worst player yesterday by a long shot. Agreed Langdon was poor but Grundy and White didn't set the world on fire either. White kicked a few but was generally pretty quiet. Grundy is going through a quiet patch which is to be expected I suppose; he can't be good every week at this stage of his development. Langdon stays I reckon until Seedsman, Sinclair and Williams are breaking the door down.

In the VFL, Brown was fairly quiet; admittedly he didn't have a lot to do, but I'd leave Keeffe where he is for a few more weeks. The team needs a fit and confident Keeffe if Reid is to play forward and the boy's only just starting to find his feet. Dwyer was good in the half that I saw, as was Adams. At the moment one of Adams or Dwyer comes back in, but we can't play Adams, Blair, Kennedy and Dwyer in the same team.......and well, I think we can forget about Kyle Martin; he is at the back of that midget brigade.

Looking further ahead, Freeman will be belting the door down by mid season and that is bad news for Blair and Dwyer and maybe for Ball as well.
After the epic draw comes the decisive knockout!
Collingwood rules the world again and Mick Malthouse fulfils his destiny with the twenty ten premiership and can you hear the people sing!
melliot

Post by melliot »

Langdon kicking let's him down. Otherwise very solid so far. I actually trust him 1 on 1.

As others have said, who plays Langdon role if Adams or Dwyer come in?

Faz is defensively shaky so sending another forward flanker or mid down back would be a concern.

Maybe we send Young back?
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Our back 6 is doing well and finally has some stability about it. No replacement for Langdon, so he stays. His performance was fine against the Roos anyway, won most of his one on ones. Yes, there were a few disposal errors, but nothing to be too concerned with.

The only option is to move Goldsack back to defense, but he's just started to find some form up forward.
Last edited by AN_Inkling on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Well done boys!
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

I don't think Young is much of a defender, Melliot. His spot is on the wing, where his one-on-one weakness is less likely to be exposed, where his pace and mobility is useful, and where his precision disposal is a powerful offensive weapon.

Fasolo, on the other hand, started as just a makeshift defender but is learning visibly week by week and rapidly getting to grips with his new role. His spot is in defence now.
melliot

Post by melliot »

Agree with you both Inkling and Tannin. Just posing the questions, which I had same opinion on.

Although, Tannin, I don't fully agree on Faz. I think defensively he will get exposed against the best teams. ATM he is filling the role and offensively doing it well. I'd suggest Sinclair and Williams will take back those positions. Faz will move to the hff and role into the mid as load support. Playing back will probably be the making of him development wise. It will hopefully add a defensive side to his game to be a better rounded player.

But he may be down back for the year if he keeps getting 30+ touches.
melliot

Post by melliot »

Agree with you both Inkling and Tannin. Just posing the questions, which I had same opinion on.

Although, Tannin, I don't fully agree on Faz. I think defensively he will get exposed against the best teams. ATM he is filling the role and offensively doing it well. I'd suggest Sinclair and Williams will take back those positions. Faz will move to the hff and role into the mid as load support. Playing back will probably be the making of him development wise. It will hopefully add a defensive side to his game to be a better rounded player.

But he may be down back for the year if he keeps getting 30+ touches.
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

30 plus possessions for Faz on the weekend just shows how easy it is to play that sweeping defender role in modern football. I don"t believe Faz is the answer down back long term with quite a few players who are better one vs one on our list including ; Williams ( hoping he has a lenient judge next week), Seedsman, Sidebottom, Harry and Langdon. However, the disposal strength of Faz is usually so good and his mopping up loose ball has been ok so far and he has not got caught out too much defensively yet.
I think Ball should come in for Thomas this week and be asked to run with Watson in the middle, Adams/Dwyer /Blair/Thomas -any two of these into the 22 with one to be sub. Glad I"m not on match committee as it is going to be tough to get a game for a lot of these talented smaller guys. Should be good for keeping the pressure on players performing. The pressure will be on Witts to as today's footy is so much about run but I hope both Witts and Grundy continue to play together to give us a weapon in clearance dominance. Not that they are doing it yet but there are good signs that they could develop into a great ruck duo that could dominate the competition for years to come if we persevere with them both. Be easier if they kicked a couple of goals each week!
Great problems to have let's hope it continues to be the biggest problem at the club for the remainder of this year.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Warbler

Post by Warbler »

It's hard to believe that our injuries caused us to play a rookie ( Frost ) in our backline , a first year recruit ( langdon ) & a forward ( Faz ) in our backline & now we have the luxury of trying to find spots for guys who truly deserve to be in our senior team .

More importantly our season is looking back on track . The Freo game was an aberration & the Cats only just beat us .

We thrash the Bummers on Anzac day & all is well in the universe .

GO PIES
TK

Post by TK »

Tannin wrote:Adams should certainly come in ... but who the hell do you leave out? I can't think of a single player from the Norf game who you could sensibly drop. At least not so far, I'm only up to the second quarter on the replay. I suppose Blair is the weakest, but he was still doing his bit.
Doubt Blair will get dropped with 37 Pressure Acts........
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the courage to do what is right in the face of it...."
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

That's the thing Tannin, someone needs to play poorly enough to warrant being dropped or get injured to open a senior spot.
Podpicken

Post by Podpicken »

You'll find a player or two who is/are carrying a niggle, or injury, more so than others will get a rest this week. It's a nice position to be in with the troops banging the door down.
Billy Picken, the great No. 25 in the sky!
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

I agree melliot.