#30 Darcy Moore

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Beast wrote:From a respected poster on bigfooty
Just thought I would add a little bit of news on Moore. Was lucky enough to go to the AFL Hall of Fame dinner tonight. Ended up sitting with a couple of prominent people in the draft assessment. Obviously discussed a few Magpie issues with them.

3 Moore - his attributes are very very exciting. There is no doubt that the injuries he has had have delayed his development but he is primed to have a break out game.They said his skill set is rare, he has leadership and is a really impressive kid. Opinion was he needs one break out game this year and he is not far away from that. They believe he will do that and when he does he will be a top 3 pick. Were very bullish about him
Take a way the sugarcoating and it basically means that injuries have stalled his development and he needs to lift to justify their high rating of him. Which is kind of what I've been saying ;)
Not sure why you're being so negative about him, he's a 200cm versatile player who's captain of his TAC cup team, do you think he earnt that honour by just showing up? He has Brownlows in his blood, Considering our first pick is likely to be in the teens it's an absolute no brainer, if we were looking at a top 5 pick I could understand your fears, but that ain't happening.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Also Beast, the experts weren't anywhere near this optimistic about Steward 2 years ago.
Defender...........

You like this.
Beast

Post by Beast »

Not being negative just tempering expectations and stating the bleeding obvious - his recent output does not match the hype.
I mean people are praising his last game in which he kicked one goal and went at a disposal efficiency rate of 33% which is appalling for a non-mid ffs
Basically last year I was a lot more bullish about his prospects but his current season has been rather disappointing to date if we're being honest.
I'm aware about his genes, raw talent, leadership skills and potential but am worried that injuries have curtailed his progress significantly.
I'm also worried that this hype is generated by the clubs that might not rate Darcy that high but want to force us to use our first round pick on him when in reality he is an early second rounder.
All of that would change if and when he strings a few good games together.
And I brought up Stewart to show an example of the Club not being in sink with the supporter base who seemed to think it was a given we draft him and as an example of someone who produced an underwhelming pre-draft year, never said the experts rated him that high.

And Inky, I should have used the term "trustworthy" as this bloke isn't known for making up crap. Yes the experts rate him high but they also (supposedly) agree with me that he hasn't come on as expected by mentioning injuries and saying he needs a big game to justify their rating, which means he is yet to produce the goods this year.
Which is exactly what I've been saying all along.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

stui magpie wrote:
Stupied wrote:
stui magpie wrote:Lets just pick up some support for him. I'm still hoping we get Cam Conlon.
Didnt he do his knee again or something? Think id rather we passed on him. Seems to be made of glass :?
had more surgery in the off season as I understand it, planning on playing for the Northern Knights as an over age this season. Don't think he's played yet. Well worth a punt with a mid to late pick at worst.
What rookie selection allow you to do, opt for a boom or bust player who has been overlooked for whatever reason.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Beast wrote:Not being negative just tempering expectations and stating the bleeding obvious - his recent output does not match the hype.
I mean people are praising his last game in which he kicked one goal and went at a disposal efficiency rate of 33% which is appalling for a non-mid ffs
Basically last year I was a lot more bullish about his prospects but his current season has been rather disappointing to date if we're being honest.
I'm aware about his genes, raw talent, leadership skills and potential but am worried that injuries have curtailed his progress significantly.
I'm also worried that this hype is generated by the clubs that might not rate Darcy that high but want to force us to use our first round pick on him when in reality he is an early second rounder.
And I brought up Stewart to show an example of the Club not being in sink with the supporter base who seemed to think it was a given we draft him and as an example of someone who produced an underwhelming pre-draft year, never said the experts rated him that high.

And Inky, I should have used the term "trustworthy" as this bloke isn't known for making up crap. Yes the experts rate him high but they also (supposedly) agree with me that he hasn't come on as expected by mentioning injuries and saying he needs a big game to justify their rating, which means he is yet to produce the goods this year.
Just quietly though, for a team to "force us" to use our first pick on him they would have to nominate their first pick. That pick needs to be in front of ours. Big risk if they don't really believe he is worth it especially given the precedence we have set by NOT taking Stewart and even Kelly.

By my count there seem to be 6 "talls" touted as high draft prospects in this years draft and all seem to be thought of as top 10 selection's. Add Cordy to that however he is likely to go Father/Son and then Moore.

If we play finals and win at least one - fair Chance we wouldn't have had the opportunity to select any of these players anyway. It seems that our overall succession planning suggests that we do need at least another Tall, and for a father son selection I think we would be lucky to take Moore with a late first round pick ( hopefully its the last pick that we get after this season :wink: )

In this situation, I dont really see any downside.
In fact had we NOT had a father/son option I dont think he would have lasted for us to take anyway unless we have a disaster of a second half of season.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Named at CHF for Vic Meto game on Sunday at Kardina Park

I am Da Man
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

[quote="AN_Inkling"]Has it been confirmed he will play VFL? Great news if true.

And you're right, being a father/son selection will mean it's a little different for Moore, but we will in the final few weeks before the nominations have an idea of where he is rated. Until then, particularly this early, all opinions are largely guesswork except for absolute standouts (eg. Tom Boyd last year).[/quote

Pies have not announced it Officially but I have heard from Many Sources that he is
I am Da Man
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

Defender wrote:Also Beast, the experts weren't anywhere near this optimistic about Steward 2 years ago.
Moore is in a Whole Different Class to Stewert. Stewert was seen as late 1st rounder at Best and Moore is rated as the Highest as the Best Prospect in the Draft
I am Da Man
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Beast wrote:Not being negative just tempering expectations and stating the bleeding obvious - his recent output does not match the hype.

I wouldn't read much into his DE%, everyone struggled that game, terrible conditions from what I've heard
Defender...........

You like this.
MGR

Post by MGR »

Defender wrote:

I wouldn't read much into his DE%, everyone struggled that game, terrible conditions from what I've heard
I was there, conditions were fine.
"We go around with the British flag in the corner of our flag. Great states do not do these things" ... former Prime Minister Paul Keating.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

MGR wrote:
Defender wrote:

I was there, conditions were fine.
My bad.
Defender...........

You like this.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Hope he kicks a bag on Sunday, imagine if he ends up being the pick of the talls by seasons end, we'll have him and 2 top 10 picks from last year to unveil in 2015. :)
Defender...........

You like this.
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

Defender wrote:Hope he kicks a bag on Sunday, imagine if he ends up being the pick of the talls by seasons end, we'll have him and 2 top 10 picks from last year to unveil in 2015. :)
Well I know some clubs have him as the Number #1 prospect but a Few Big Games would make it even bigger case
I am Da Man
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Dave The Man wrote:
Defender wrote:Hope he kicks a bag on Sunday, imagine if he ends up being the pick of the talls by seasons end, we'll have him and 2 top 10 picks from last year to unveil in 2015. :)
Well I know some clubs have him as the Number #1 prospect but a Few Big Games would make it even bigger case
How do you know this Dave?
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

[quote=Well I know some clubs have him as the Number #1 prospect but a Few Big Games would make it even bigger case[/quote]

Yes, reads like a, 'I was talking to a bloke who knows a bloke'...

On another note, can we stop all of this Darcy Moore straight into the side next year nonsense. I'd just prefer more objective reporting on his TAC games.
At the moment he's no better or no worse than any of the other top20 hopefuls in his age bracket.
The way his name is being proffered into our side is as if breeding comes before recruiting nous. If that was he case we'd have the Great Grandsons and sons of every Magpies premiership team playing this year and no room for the current list.
Has as much credibility as naming our Best22 thread.

Harrumph!!
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers