Australian entertainer arrested in Jimmy Savile case

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

David wrote: Whatever the case, he has been brought to account for his actions now and, guilty consience or not, he is suffering the consequences.
As he should!
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

To label Harris a pedophile would seem misleading to me given he was found guilty and allegations persist against a wide range of ages most of which seem to have occurred against girls aged in there early teen years to adult womanhood.

He's more a hepephile if anything.

While he has obviously crossed the line with his actions thankfully most of the allegations against him are at the lower scale of sexual assault.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!

Post by 1061 »

He had sex with under aged CHILDREN so that pigeon holes him as a Pedo!
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

David wrote:Anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0qejLm1CRQ

Surprisingly thoughtful and sensitive educational film that's way less creepy and saccharine than the sort of thing put out by contemporary organisations like Bravehearts. Makes him seem like a pretty decent guy who genuinely wanted to do something about child abuse. Perhaps that was just the impression he wanted to convey, or perhaps there was a real cognitive dissonance there between the sort of person he wanted to be and what he did.
Yes I saw this video surface yesterday on YouTube and I must say it's creepy watching it knowing full well what he was getting up to during that period of time. Granted the message of the video is effective and quite educational but it still didn't stop him from committing indecent acts on under-age children no matter whether he strived to be that type of person or not. It's quite frightening to watch this video to be honest.

One thing that did standout in this video was his ability to keep a straight face at 16:39-16:43 when he says that "some people don't act right with kids and they need help". Clearly that's a reflection of Rolf himself. If Rolf really did believe in trying to not be that person then he would have come forward earlier and admitted to police what he had done wrong and said that he needed help but the fact that he never did so and he didn't have the courage to plead guilty in his trial tells me that he has a lack of remorse of his actions or he doesn't understand the full magnitude of what he's done wrong.

One way or another he's going to be punished and age shouldn't matter in determining his sentence. If supposedly age did matter in regards to his sentence then it'll serve to be a bad precedent for similar cases like this in the future in British criminal law relating to sexual assault cases.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

1061 wrote:He had sex with under aged CHILDREN so that pigeon holes him as a Pedo!
I think you've missed the point completely. Although, conversely, Swoop may be incorrect as well because I believe Harris has been found guilty on at least one count of assaulting a pre-pubescent girl.

It's all armchair psychiatry really, and I haven't been following this closely, but the impression I'm getting is that he may not be a paedophile or a hebephile, just an opportunistic situational offender.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange

Post by 1061 »

David wrote:
1061 wrote:He had sex with under aged CHILDREN so that pigeon holes him as a Pedo!
I think you've missed the point completely. Although, conversely, Swoop may be incorrect as well because I believe Harris has been found guilty on at least one count of assaulting a pre-pubescent girl.

It's all armchair psychiatry really, and I haven't been following this closely, but the impression I'm getting is that he may not be a paedophile or a hebephile, just an opportunistic situational offender.

No I'm not the one missing the point here at all you are the one who is showing themselves to have no idea what you are rabbiting on about.

Please stop, just stop and relearn.
David

Post by David »

Sorry, 1061, but you're wrong.

A paedophile (or 'pedo') is someone who is primarily sexually attracted to prepubescent children (i.e. under 12). Not all paedophiles are child molesters and not all child molesters are paedophiles. Indeed, statistics suggest that as many as 50% of child abusers are not paedophiles but simply situational offenders (the converse statistics are unknown). You can do your own reading on this if you like, but these are all easily available facts.

Rolf Harris is probably not a paedophile. That fact doesn't make his crimes less or more excusable; it's just the way it is.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

Dad went to school with him (and Bob Hawke). Mum says she got the one who didn't play around. Dad for what its worth says Harris should be punished no matter what health concerns he has.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

What if it didn't happen?

Post by 1061 »

David wrote:Sorry, 1061, but you're wrong.

A paedophile (or 'pedo') is someone who is primarily sexually attracted to prepubescent children (i.e. under 12). Not all paedophiles are child molesters and not all child molesters are paedophiles. Indeed, statistics suggest that as many as 50% of child abusers are not paedophiles but simply situational offenders (the converse statistics are unknown). You can do your own reading on this if you like, but these are all easily available facts.

Rolf Harris is probably not a paedophile. That fact doesn't make his crimes less or more excusable; it's just the way it is.

Any second now my head's going to blow.
David

Post by David »

Please, let us all know when it does. :)
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

David wrote:Sorry, 1061, but you're wrong.

You are spot on David.

Can i recommend a documentary "Are all men pedophiles"?
It is produced by a female, and explains David's point perfectly.
The laws regarding age of consent differ in every country and across every culture. I believe they even differ significantly amongst the states of Australia, or used to recently.

I don't know the details about Harris' victims nor crimes.
But for those who want him to do serious jail time, i hope you do know them.

p.s. ok i read this - http://www.smh.com.au/world/rolf-harris ... zsrip.html

Post by 1061 »

David

Post by David »

^ A rare correct spelling! :shock:

After reading the article CC posted, I think it's actually pretty clear that Harris isn't a paedophile. Almost all of his victims were teenage girls. But the 'community nonce patrol' bus has already well and truly hit the freeway, so whatcha gonna do?
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.