Time to play hard ball

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

Would you accept Pick 4 for Beams, or play hard ball and risk getting nothing?

Play hard ball, we can't give in to terrorism
89%
Pick 4 is enough, lets take it and run
11%

Total votes: 28

Meddler80

Time to play hard ball

Post by Meddler80 »

OK, so Brisbane are saying they won't give up anything more than pick 4.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... 0nhrm.html

Assuming this remains the case, I for one say hold Beams to his contract. I would rather play him in the reserves for a year and throw him in the pre-season draft next year than get paid under odds by Brisbane.

What we do now, will echo through eternity (not to get too Russell Crowe on you all!)

So, thoughts?
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Hard ball baby. Brisbane can wait 12 months and then we can still match their offer if he's a limited free agent. We hold all the aces and they know it.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Pick 4 for a player who will be the best on their list? They can go phuck themselves! I would rather get nothing next year.
kill for collingwood!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

terrorism? really? i wouldn't have thought trading a player was even remotely close to being associated with terrorism and certainly not in the context it is used in today's political environment.

get a grip.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I doubt it will come to that.

Pick 4 and there second rounder at worse.

Not enough but I have no desire seeing a player run around in the black'n'white for 12 months who doesn't want to be there.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Hard ball within reason.

If we don't get a satisfactory deal we hold him to his contract. At the end of 2015 he is not a free agent, he's just an uncontracted player so he's have to nominate for the draft.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

^^But do we really want to be Ross Lyon?
Well done boys!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

No, but we also don't want to bend over and let Brisbane have their way with us just because we're trying to help a player who has family reasons for wanting to leave.

If Brisbane actually wants him, come to the party.

Keep in mind we aren't stopping Dayne from going home if that's what he really wants, he can resign at any time and walk out on AFL football.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Awesome. I hope we make the resign option very clear and bring it up at every meeting :).
Well done boys!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

AN_Inkling wrote:Awesome. I hope we make the resign option very clear and bring it up at every meeting :).
Hah,

Look I'm not trying to be a cnut about it, just making the point that if you really want to spend time with an ill family member you can choose to prioritise that over your employment. I'm sure people in other walks of life have quit good jobs to go home when someone was dying.

I'm all for trying to work something out, I get why he wants what he wants and I'm absolutely sympathetic toward that, I just don't see why we should have to do all the compromising.
daicos from the boundry

Post by daicos from the boundry »

I can't get my head around the fact why it has to be Brisbane. Why can't he play for Gold Coast. If it's about his Dad than why just Brisbane. It smells big time of Greg Swan backdooring deals. There have approached a contracted player Im sure of it. Playing with your brother is not an excuse to break a contract. Just got to get GC Suns to commit to a better deal.
Utter B@stards
Meddler80

Post by Meddler80 »

John Wren wrote:terrorism? really? i wouldn't have thought trading a player was even remotely close to being associated with terrorism and certainly not in the context it is used in today's political environment.

get a grip.
John wren, if you are seeking a semantic debate, I embrace Boaz Ganor's definition of terrorism... (!!)

It's an over emphasis to embellish a point, and intended as something of a joke in this context

Move on numb nuts... Perhaps your time is better spent elsewhere, putting daffodils in gun barrels
Meddler80

Post by Meddler80 »

swoop42 wrote:I doubt it will come to that.

Pick 4 and there second rounder at worse.

Not enough but I have no desire seeing a player run around in the black'n'white for 12 months who doesn't want to be there.
Agreed... Whole heartedly... But we may not be left with other options...

Sadly, this is what our game has become :?
Meddler80

Post by Meddler80 »

daicos from the boundry wrote:I can't get my head around the fact why it has to be Brisbane. Why can't he play for Gold Coast. If it's about his Dad than why just Brisbane. It smells big time of Greg Swan backdooring deals. There have approached a contracted player Im sure of it. Playing with your brother is not an excuse to break a contract. Just got to get GC Suns to commit to a better deal.
GCS have said they're not particularly interested...salary cap problems apparently
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

This is also about making a competitor STRONGER, our evil rival from the 2000s no less. Brisbane are starting to get better, and we're gonna gift wrap them a superstar heading into the prime of his career with no equal in return due to an unfortunate chain of happenstance? No thanks. I'd rather get NOTHING this year and have Beams retire from football for a season if he wants to head north. Compassion aside, he's contracted, and we have to do what's right for the club first and foremost. If he wants to leave, he can leave, but under contract, we won't just bend over.
Est. 2002