Why are they moving/removing threads?

Suggestions, praise, feedback. Need to communicate with the moderators? This is the place. If you need to communicate privately with the moderators, send email to lesbastardssinistres(at)magpies.net

Moderator: bbmods

Darkstranger

Post by Darkstranger »

I'm glad someone's asking because i was worried everyone wanted to talk about "Moved"
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
The Seedsmeister wrote:Not only is there a General Feedback forum, there is also one to discuss Drafting and Trading. Things could get moved there as well, especially at this time of the year to unclog the main forum.

General Discussion is not a dumping ground to discuss anything and everything. Something that fits any of the other boards will be moved, where's the problem in that? Why catergorise sections if they are not used.
Well its simply isn't good enough as it does not suit 35forever's agenda.
And what is this 'agenda' specifically, pray do tell?
Sorry I edited my post prior to your response being posted.

You know full well what I am talking about. You are part of the problem, not the solution.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

BLAME Bucks, gotta be Bucks fault, and last night up here in Mt Evelyn, a huge tree fell across the road, now that's just gotta be Bucks fault, surely ????
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Darkstranger wrote:I'm glad someone's asking because i was worried everyone wanted to talk about "Moved"
Moved sounds like a better topic overall.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Neil Appleby wrote:Yes its only a footy forum but its OUR footy forum and we are entitled to ask questions about its management.
Of course, but when there's a subforum specifically set up for it, I'm not sure why questions/complaints can't be made there.

As for merging, is it controversial that two threads on exactly the same subject should be merged? I would have thought this was the norm on most internet bulletin boards.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
35forever

Post by 35forever »

"If at first you dont succeed...
... oh who cares, we did it!!!!!"

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday

Post by 1061 »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:But suppression of freedom of speech? You're on a footy fansite for cying out loud.

Pot + Kettle = BLACK
SteveH67

Post by SteveH67 »

[quote="35forever"]Yeah, "It's only a footy forum" is a really weak excuse. Meanwhile why is there a dead thread about Mitch Clark sitting there? Why is there another thread that we "don't have permission" to view? You can't just delete threads you don't like the tone of, that
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bucks5 »

David

Post by David »

Wrong, SteveH. Try again.

35, the two Mitch Clark threads (breaking exactly the same news regarding the same topic) were merged and moved to the Draft and Trade Forum where they belong. That may be the reason why one now appears to be inaccessible. I can assure you that all the posts are still there, just under the older thread title.

We all value freedom of speech to some extent or other, but Nick's (like pretty much any moderated internet forum in existence) is not a 'libertarian' board. Abusive posts, trolling and flagrant rule-breaking do tend to result in post deletion or editing more often than not. Beyond that, there is a broad freedom of discourse here. While nothing's perfect, I think we get that balance right most of the time.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

And why are so many posts getting deleted? I've had one go over night where I agreed with a thread, my vote of approval, and it wasn't just +1. And yet I still see some of the vitriol on some threads. It's getting very confusing. Is there a word limit?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!

Post by 1061 »

^^^^^
Karma? ;)
David

Post by David »

think positive wrote:And why are so many posts getting deleted? I've had one go over night where I agreed with a thread, my vote of approval, and it wasn't just +1. And yet I still see some of the vitriol on some threads. It's getting very confusing. Is there a word limit?
A whole lot of posts were deleted the other night in the Beams/Buckley threads, I think. The deleted posts consisted almost solely of an off-topic, obnoxious, mostly playing-the-man-not-the-ball "discussion" between so-called "perceptive fellow" and their more persistent opponents. A few posts responding to that conflict were deleted as well, but we took care not to delete anything that actually referred to the topic at hand.

As for vitriol on other threads, we're trying to keep on top of it, but it's a big job and we don't necessarily see anything. Feel free to report if you see anything clearly unacceptable (that goes for everyone).
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

David wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:Yes its only a footy forum but its OUR footy forum and we are entitled to ask questions about its management.
Of course, but when there's a subforum specifically set up for it, I'm not sure why questions/complaints can't be made there.

As for merging, is it controversial that two threads on exactly the same subject should be merged? I would have thought this was the norm on most internet bulletin boards.
I understand that merging the trade/draft rumour threads can be very difficult, though perhaps less so now that Cooking Device doesn't post under that name. I think those of us who are interested in the trading news would be greatly assisted, though, if the Mods could be very active over the next few weeks in consolidating and/or deleting new threads about existing topics. So, just one thread on Beams. One on H, one on Pendlebury and Elliott when they're put up for trade , etc. Its amazing how much drivel goes up, especially when people create a new thread for every rumoured deal involving a particular player (almost all of which are just unsubstantiated rumours taken from other sites). Its ok at the moment but it will reach fever pitch for about a week from next Monday morning.