Varcoe may join Collingwood in three-way deal

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

John Wren

Post by John Wren »

nomadjack wrote:I'd rather we looked at Taylor Hunt who is also looking to move...
varcoe may have few redeeming features but hunt has zero. where would we use him?
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
woftam

Post by woftam »

John Wren wrote:
nomadjack wrote:I'd rather we looked at Taylor Hunt who is also looking to move...
varcoe may have few redeeming features but hunt has zero. where would we use him?
I have an idea. Lets get neither. ;)
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

if anyone happens to be in bali soon perhaps they could intervene and put a stop to bucks and varcoe meeting up.
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

Jesus. Maybe H does have the last laugh.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Harvey wrote:Jesus. Maybe H does have the last laugh.
oh god. jaysus. lol.

perish the thought.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

I know we all hate squibs, but Dids was King Squib and we loved him and he helped win us a Premiership and was a fan favourite of a generation of Pies fans.

Now Varcoe aint no Didak, but a bit of polish and class coupled with a slight lack of testicular fortitude isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

I am prepared to concede that my opinion of Varcoe may be tainted because I freaking hate Geelong.

Let's assume he comes to us. What's his best position? Does he give good run and delivery of half back? Or another smaller option up forward rotating through the middle?
Bucks2014

Post by Bucks2014 »

I really don't get this one. Yes he's a nice kick, but how many does he get? Has there been confirmation from the club we are seriously looking at this? Wasn't he shopped around last year and there was no one really interested?
"Still waiting for your call Caroline ... not a quote in sight. Don't ever presume to speak on Collingwood's behalf,"
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Geelong has put games into him hoping he'd develop into something that he hasn't. But, if you look at his positive attributes instead of focusing on the negatives (of which there is a few) it comes down to what we need.

Outside speed is something that many have been harping we need . So he's very outside, Geelong players haven't been very tolerant of "soft" in the last few years, but he's been getting games.

My 2 cents, up to the club. If they think he has qualities that can improve our list and the price is OK, do it.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
woftam

Post by woftam »

stui magpie wrote:Geelong has put games into him hoping he'd develop into something that he hasn't. But, if you look at his positive attributes instead of focusing on the negatives (of which there is a few) it comes down to what we need.

Outside speed is something that many have been harping we need . So he's very outside, Geelong players haven't been very tolerant of "soft" in the last few years, but he's been getting games.

My 2 cents, up to the club. If they think he has qualities that can improve our list and the price is OK, do it.
The problem is that over the last couple of years we don't have a good record in trading for players. Bucks don't be a crazy Vossy.
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

Let's look at this from another point of view. If he was going to Hawthorn because Burgoyne decided to retire, could he play that role in that team?

I guess what I'm asking is - we all know this could be a dud trade, but what do you think is the best case scenario?
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

If the price is right then why not? He hasn't lived up to his early promise but he's the type we need.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Dave The Man wrote:Bucks Gone to Bali to Meet Him

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-08/b ... eet-varcoe
Yeah. Just fukking terrific.
Why don't you just give him #5 and the captaincy while you're there?
Farcical, even contemplating this squib on legs.

Dyso
Museman

Post by Museman »

He is a decent user, but he is soft....

The most important aspect of football is lacking for mine, decision making, it's only fragmented memories but they go off like alarm bells when his name is mentioned(bad decisions), cannot remember the 2011 GF, it's a blur...and it's staying that way.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

stui magpie wrote:Geelong has put games into him hoping he'd develop into something that he hasn't. But, if you look at his positive attributes instead of focusing on the negatives (of which there is a few) it comes down to what we need.

he flourished under thompson. don't know if you remember thompson's vehement defence of varcoe back in 2008. he had a few good years and possibly may have regressed in the last couple. a change of environment might help him.