Jack Watts

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Jack Watts

Post by Damien »

'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Coxy83

Post by Coxy83 »

Melbourne believe he is valuable due to him being the number one pick. I'm just not sure what need he fills in our side?

He's tallish but not at all physical. Has nice skills but doesn't get much of the ball and I assume he's on good money?

Pass for me
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Coxy83 wrote:Melbourne believe he is valuable due to him being the number one pick. I'm just not sure what need he fills in our side?

He's tallish but not at all physical. Has nice skills but doesn't get much of the ball and I assume he's on good money?

Pass for me
Sure he is a better option than Varcoe?? Surely??? :roll:

Is there anyone here who believes that Varcoe is a better option for Collingwood than Watts?
Coxy83

Post by Coxy83 »

We'd have to give up more for Watts and pay him more. I'm not sure he adds much value in our areas of need.

I think Watts is a better player but considering what it takes to get them I'd take Varcoe
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Lazza wrote:
Coxy83 wrote:Melbourne believe he is valuable due to him being the number one pick. I'm just not sure what need he fills in our side?

Pass for me
Sure he is a better option than Varcoe?? Surely??? :roll:

Is there anyone here who believes that Varcoe is a better option for Collingwood than Watts?
Would depend on the relative cost. I'd rather chance the draft than pick up either.

PS: welcome back, clearly more appealing than I give you credit for :wink:
Last edited by jackcass on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

No thanks.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Watts has played his entire career at a lowly club with rubbish development.

Watts, Scully, Trengove, Morton, Toumpas to name just a few haven't lived up to there high draft selection.

It can't just be a coincidence.

It's either poor talent identification and/or a poor development system.

If it was a straight swap for Lumumba you'd take him but Melbourne probably believe that because he was a former No.1 pick he's worth more. They'd be wrong.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

swoop42 wrote:Watts has played his entire career at a lowly club with rubbish development.

Watts, Scully, Trengove, Morton, Toumpas to name just a few haven't lived up to there high draft selection.

If it was a straight swap for Lumumba you'd take him but Melbourne probably believe that because he was a former No.1 pick he's worth more. They'd be wrong.
i'd like to see him in the black and white running off half back, breaking the lines and carrying the ball into the forward line. i think he and a few others are victims of a poor development system. i can't recall if it was a general consensus that watts was the top pick that year.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

Has talent but lacks heart
Package him and Varcoe together
and ship off to Western Star Butter!
we don't eat our own at collingwood we just allow them to foul our nest.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

in answering my question, i forgot it was he vs nicnat for number 1. excluding watts, the top 10 that year haven't disappointed. that's no coincidence. that suggests the melbourne system is crap and they would have likely stiffed up nicnat if he'd had gone there.
Domesticated_Ape

Post by Domesticated_Ape »

John Wren wrote:
swoop42 wrote:Watts has played his entire career at a lowly club with rubbish development.

i'd like to see him in the black and white running off half back, breaking the lines and carrying the ball into the forward line. i think he and a few others are victims of a poor development system. i can't recall if it was a general consensus that watts was the top pick that year.
Watts doesn't run though, he kinda bounces and drifts like a beach ball in the wind.

Back in his draft year, Nic Nat was all the rage. Then Daniel Rich bobbed up and was a chance for number 1, then he fell out of favour and Melbourne went with Watts over Natanui. Jack was seen as the best tall forward all through his draft year, I think. Here's the list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_AFL_draft

Sidebottom stands up against any of the other first rounders I reckon. Maybe just behind Hartlett. And yeah, Melbourne couldn't develop a negative in a dark room. Getting drafted there is like a death sentence.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

John Wren wrote:in answering my question, i forgot it was he vs nicnat for number 1. excluding watts, the top 10 that year haven't disappointed. that's no coincidence. that suggests the melbourne system is crap and they would have likely stiffed up nicnat if he'd had gone there.
As it is NicNat is vastly overrated compared to his output.

Watts was a bottom aged player with excellent speed and athletic ability for such a big guy and dominated as a key forward at U18 level.

I can see why Melbourne went for him.

One of the biggest probelms I see with Watts is that his listed weight now of 88kgs is only 6kgs heavier than when drafted.

That's rubbish physical development and I'm not sure why he's playing at such a light body weight even for a player who doesn't play like a traditional key positon player.

Nick Riewoldt for instance is 96kg and that is more like what Watts should be.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Domesticated_Ape wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Watts doesn't run though, he kinda bounces and drifts like a beach ball in the wind.

Back in his draft year, Nic Nat was all the rage. Then Daniel Rich bobbed up and was a chance for number 1, then he fell out of favour and Melbourne went with Watts over Natanui. Jack was seen as the best tall forward all through his draft year, I think. Here's the list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_AFL_draft

Sidebottom stands up against any of the other first rounders I reckon. Maybe just behind Hartlett. And yeah, Melbourne couldn't develop a negative in a dark room. Getting drafted there is like a death sentence.
certainly stands off it a bit but has got better since roos came along. very much looked like someone who didn't have the coaching for what to do, where to run etc.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Is softer than a marshmallow.... that's all.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
blakis

Post by blakis »

I reckon he's worth a crack for the right price.