Would we dare do this?

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

Captain_MyCaptain

Would we dare do this?

Post by Captain_MyCaptain »

Assuming Petracca goes at No. 1 to Saints [don't see why not] would we dare offer him a 7 or 8 year deal along with a heap of cash, maybe not 7 mill like the Dogs offered Boyd, but plenty enough for him to want to play for the club he followed as a kid, Collingwood.

Would you do it? I would.
The window is open my friend!
Breadcrawl

Post by Breadcrawl »

I hope we never give any player more than five years regardless of the circumstances
they can smell what we're cookin'
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Assuming you are referring to the Bulldogs/Boyd deal. The Dogs have taken a massive gamble (which I actually hope works for them cos they deserve a break) on a kid who's played 8 games. Now you're talking about a kid who's played ZERO games in Petracca.

You gotta play the percentages I reckon.

The Sydney/Buddy deal was for a proven champion. Tick.

Boyd is gunna have the most pressure of any kid in the history of the game next year. If it fails heads will roll.

Petracca is Geoff Hayward at the moment (hey Carringbush Cigar) a kid with talent.

This post is lunacy. Sorry.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Breadcrawl

Post by Breadcrawl »

Damien wrote:
The Sydney/Buddy deal was for a proven champion. Tick.
Yeah but 9 years is still lunacy.

If Boyd goes down or disappoints it will cripple the dogs for a decade.

I also hope that it works out for them, but I'd hate to see my club take a risk like that.
they can smell what we're cookin'
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I think we should target a proven elite midfielder like Dangerfield next year if we have the cap space available.

Miss out on him then the following year if Petracca is looking the goods then sure go after him with an attractive 4 or 5 year deal but not at the price that it took to get Boyd.

That was just madness by the dogs IMO and could easily end up being a total bust of epic proportions.

If Petracca is truly a hardcore Collingwood supporter then I doubt we'd need to offer such outlandish contract terms anyway and would never do it for a second year midfielder no matter how good.
Last edited by swoop42 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Would have to trade way too much to get him
I am Da Man
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Dave The Man wrote:Would have to trade way too much to get him
After one season you'd be correct but at the end of his second year if we couldn't come up with a agreeable trade then he could walk, put a massive price on his head and we'd be a genuine chance of snaring him in the PSD.

No point worrying about it now though.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Sounds like Brett Chalmers part 2
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
On the March
Been liked: 1 time

Post by On the March »

Would destabilize the club. Imagine the likes of Cloke, Pendles, etc responding to that. Having said that I don't think it will have the same effect with Bulldogs. Unless he isn't playing well for a prolonged period - then lookout!
Az

Post by Az »

Agree with Swoop, if he really wants to get to the Pies then it won't take a ridiculous contract to do it. If all goes to plan, in a couple of years time we should be playing some pretty good footy which will be enticing enough for any hardcore Pie fan who wants to play for us. In a similar fashion to Ball/Jolly he may just sneak onto our list as a top up before entering our tilt. I'd still have Danger at the top of that list though. Not sure we could afford to land a big fish after that.
Podpicken

Post by Podpicken »

It's totally irresponsible what the Dogs have done. They would need to employ a full time psych to accompany him for the next 7 years now. The pressure and expectations are going to be absurd.
Billy Picken, the great No. 25 in the sky!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

^ they're already talking down the expectations on him and telling their supporter base this is a long term proposition and not to expect too much in the next 2-3 years.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Az wrote:Agree with Swoop, if he really wants to get to the Pies then it won't take a ridiculous contract to do it. If all goes to plan, in a couple of years time we should be playing some pretty good footy which will be enticing enough for any hardcore Pie fan who wants to play for us. In a similar fashion to Ball/Jolly he may just sneak onto our list as a top up before entering our tilt. I'd still have Danger at the top of that list though. Not sure we could afford to land a big fish after that.
I think it's foolish to romanticise about players wanting to play for us because they barracked for us. All players are professional now and their managers will ensure they get the best possible deal for their careers. So if we wanted a player like Petracca, we'd have to pay up big time. Same goes for Cameron or Botempelli.
themonk

Post by themonk »

swoop42 wrote:I think we should target a proven elite midfielder like Dangerfield next year if we have the cap space available.

Miss out on him then the following year if Petracca is looking the goods then sure go after him with an attractive 4 or 5 year deal but not at the price that it took to get Boyd.

That was just madness by the dogs IMO and could easily end up being a total bust of epic proportions.

If Petracca is truly a hardcore Collingwood supporter then I doubt we'd need to offer such outlandish contract terms anyway and would never do it for a second year midfielder no matter how good.
I would love to get Dangerfield but he will be very expensive.

As long as we are competitive with this list over the next 2 years we could focus on Cameron for 2016 & then Petracca in 2017.
Captain_MyCaptain

Post by Captain_MyCaptain »

Dangerfeld wont play for Collingwood, he'd most likely play for Geelong if he chose to leave Adelaide.
The window is open my friend!