Phantom Draft 5.0

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

MJ23 wrote:I heard that leverde slip in draft range was due to his testing. He was carrying an injury
I see. It seems that a lot of these young guys carried an injury into the combine.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Presti35 wrote:
MJ23 wrote:I heard that leverde slip in draft range was due to his testing. He was carrying an injury
I see. It seems that a lot of these young guys carried an injury into the combine.
Maybe they trained at the Westpac Centre in the lead up to the combine?
Buon Giorno
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bucks5 »

Because he is injured he will be picked for sure. :p
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Because a few others are unlikely to last to pick 30 I'd actually be happy with Laverde, McLean, and Langdon. Builds the midfield and provides a couple of x-factor forward types.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm excited at the prospect of us drafting Laverde, but wondered what are the chances someone else will pick him before our pick 5?
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

RudeBoy wrote:I'm excited at the prospect of us drafting Laverde, but wondered what are the chances someone else will pick him before our pick 5?
Every chance, wouldn't surprise to see Melbourne take 2x mids instead of a mid and a KPP. Would mean that either of the predicted top 4 KPPs would slide through to us. Not sure it's a need now that we've got Moore but would definitely be hard to overlook.
Albert Parker

Post by Albert Parker »

^Lose Clark and Frawley and have yet to get Hogan on the park and they're picking two mids?

Salem, Tyson, Vince all added last year too.
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
themonk

Post by themonk »

Albert Parker wrote:^Lose Clark and Frawley and have yet to get Hogan on the park and they're picking two mids?

Agree, what does concern me is GWS, they may pick the next best mid (in Laverde) & then select the left over talls after us.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Albert Parker wrote:^Lose Clark and Frawley and have yet to get Hogan on the park and they're picking two mids?

Just looking at needs based options. Got killed in the midfield all season and it appears they'll be missing Trengove for a while. Vince and Cross nearing the end.

At a minimum, tall forward options are the least of their needs. Got Hogan, Watts, Dawes, Dunn, Pederson, and Howe, as well as 4x ruck/forwards in Jamar, Spencer, Gawn, and Fitzpatrick. Thats without even considering King, another ruck/forward on the rookie list.

Bit thinner for KPD or 3rd tall defenders although Dunn, Garland, McDonald proved to be pretty handy. Howe seems to have settled at HB. Pedersen could be developed there. Watts may develop into a defensive sweeper.

Therefore, neither McCartin or Wright fill an immediate need. Moore (and they can't have him), Lever or Durdin better suited. So they either grab a lesser rated option KPD, or grab a couple of mids and wait till pick 40 and grab a remaining KPD.

May well grab either McCartin or Wright, but the alternatives not as ridiculous as they sound.
Last edited by jackcass on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Doesn't concern me. I'd be just as happy to grab Wright.
kill for collingwood!
themonk

Post by themonk »

roar wrote:Doesn't concern me. I'd be just as happy to grab Wright.
True, but I'd prefer an elite mid as I believe we may have an opportunity to get Cameron next season.
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

jackcass wrote:

Just looking at needs based options. Got killed in the midfield all season and it appears they'll be missing Trengove for a while. Vince and Cross nearing the end.

At a minimum, tall forward options are the least of their needs. Got Hogan, Watts, Dawes, Dunn, Pederson, and Howe, as well as 4x ruck/forwards in Jamar, Spencer, Gawn, and Fitzpatrick. Thats without even considering King, another ruck/forward on the rookie list.

Bit thinner for KPD or 3rd tall defenders although Dunn, Garland, McDonald proved to be pretty handy. Howe seems to have settled at HB. Pedersen could be developed there. Watts may develop into a defensive sweeper.

Therefore, neither McCartin or Wright fill an immediate need. Moore (and they can't have him), Lever or Durdin better suited. So they either grab a lesser rated option KPD, or grab a couple of mids and wait till pick 40 and grab a remaining KPD.

May well grab either McCartin or Wright, but the alternatives not as ridiculous as they sound.
Has the 2004 draft taught you nothing? :P

Melbourne would be insane to take two midfielders especially when McCartin or even Wright or Lever are on offer.

The only way I see Melbourne taking two midfielders is if Petracca doesn't go pick 1.

Even then I'd bypass Brayshaw in preference for a tall.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

RudeBoy wrote:I'm excited at the prospect of us drafting Laverde, but wondered what are the chances someone else will pick him before our pick 5?
While he would be my preference I don't think Laverde is even enough of a clear cut choice at pick 5 to be to worried about him going at 4.

He wont go top 3 IMHO.

If GWS believe that taking Laverde at 4 is some type of strategic selection that will see them still land Wright at 6 I think they might be sorely mistaken.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

swoop42 wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Has the 2004 draft taught you nothing? :P

Melbourne would be insane to take two midfielders especially when McCartin or even Wright or Lever are on offer.

The only way I see Melbourne taking two midfielders is if Petracca doesn't go pick 1.

Even then I'd bypass Brayshaw in preference for a tall.
Aware of all that. My point was that it's absolutely useless having Dawes, Hogan, Wright/McCartin, Fitzpatrick/Spencer/Jamar/Gawn, Pedersen roaming the F50 if the ball isn't getting there because you're being smashed in the midfield. It'd be suicide to try and cram 5 KPF types into there anyway. So they'd essentially be commiting pick 2 or 3 to a long term development position

Lose McDonald however and they're really screwed, he's the only real KPD they've got. Done well to groom Dune into a quasi KPD, Garland is undersized but can hold his own, it's all down hill from there. Did mention that either Lever or Durdin better match their needs but it'd be unrealistic to expect either to come into the side and contain a Cloke or a Hawkins type KPF. Couldn't believe the Dees weren't working harder to land Jaksch from GWS for this very reason. Frost helps, nearly forgot about him.

Just my opinion, but I don't see either Wright or McCartin as being critical to their needs, especially in the short term, and they definitely need to turn things around pretty quickly. To me, that makes their midfield a higher priority. Time will tell.