The "What do we get for Beams?" thread

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

E

Post by E »

magpieazza wrote:
Presti35 wrote:Crisp, Greenwood & De Goey for Beams.

We'll be watching these guys closely next year. But Im looking forward to seeing them.
Im comfortable with the deal and we will come out on top in the deal.
if you needed a starting ruck rover to pencil in on grand final day, which of the 4 players would you pick? we may get more value overall and in the long term, but right now, we have gotten 3 lesser players for a top 10 talent.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

^ considering that grand final day is a long way from "right now" your point is rather moot.
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:^ considering that grand final day is a long way from "right now" your point is rather moot.
And it's not like we could change the situation, just had to try and make the best of it.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

jackcass wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:^ considering that grand final day is a long way from "right now" your point is rather moot.
And it's not like we could change the situation, just had to try and make the best of it.
Assuming De Goey is as good as he's been described, we're already ahead imo.
E

Post by E »

RudeBoy wrote:
jackcass wrote:
No we are not ahead.

The above three points in response to my short note all offer up interesting points of view.

Firstly, Jackass, you are 100% correct. we were given no choice and i think we did quite welll all things considered. I also like what i see in De Goey (and for that matter, Crisp and Greenwood - crisp in particluar did some very nice things against us if i recall correctlyy).

The point about GF day being a long way off sort of misses the point (although maybe only in part). Maybe the point is that since GF day might be 2-3 years away, we cant judge how good our relative positions will be until that time. And that is a fair point.

I think all i was trying to say is that we can underplay it all we like, but beams is a major loss as he is in the age bracket where he could have been an elite player for us when we get really really good. Kind of like Swan and ball were in our premiership year of 2010. Now we might need the kids to be an extra year older before we suceed with that core.
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

I think E has made some good points.
Overall 3 good players for one seems a good deal, but,
Beams is an elite player and they are very difficult to get.
we don't eat our own at collingwood we just allow them to foul our nest.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

E wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
jackcass wrote: And it's not like we could change the situation, just had to try and make the best of it.
No we are not ahead.

The above three points in response to my short note all offer up interesting points of view.

Firstly, Jackass, you are 100% correct. we were given no choice and i think we did quite welll all things considered. I also like what i see in De Goey (and for that matter, Crisp and Greenwood - crisp in particluar did some very nice things against us if i recall correctlyy).

The point about GF day being a long way off sort of misses the point (although maybe only in part). Maybe the point is that since GF day might be 2-3 years away, we cant judge how good our relative positions will be until that time. And that is a fair point.

I think all i was trying to say is that we can underplay it all we like, but beams is a major loss as he is in the age bracket where he could have been an elite player for us when we get really really good. Kind of like Swan and ball were in our premiership year of 2010. Now we might need the kids to be an extra year older before we suceed with that core.
I think you need to evaluate the totality of the trade. Yes, we're behind on the Beams - DeGoey swap, at least initially, but losing Beams also brought Greenwood and Crisp to the club so if you factor in say Greenwood - Clarke and Crisp - Lynch swaps on top of the Beams - DeGoey trade then we're (potentially) miles in front longer term with even some short term overall improvement given the senior contributions of Clarke and Lynch in 2014.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Trade at this early stage does not look to bad
I am Da Man
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Pick 5 and a gem!

Good on you Dayne .. Take the $5m and footy hell.

Crisp and de goey will be part of the next CFC premiership side!
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better