#12 Matt Scharenberg

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Post by 5150 »

Stupied wrote:
5150 wrote:
Stupied wrote:Leaning towards him staying. His girlfriend who he has just moved in with, is from Melbourne.
I hope your no pinning your hopes on a 19 year old AFL footballer moving in with his GF as a long term commitment... too anything! :P
Nope, but it would certainly be helping him settle in if he's in a relationship with a local girl.
Ok, lets hope she's a keeper! :D
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Of the 3 first year players we had in defence on the weekend, I thought Maynard and Marsh were far more impressive than Scharenberg. I keep watching him and keep seeing not much to rave about.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

RudeBoy wrote:Of the 3 first year players we had in defence on the weekend, I thought Maynard and Marsh were far more impressive than Scharenberg. I keep watching him and keep seeing not much to rave about.
i wonder if you subconsciously don't want to see anything in schazza because it creates a coping mechanism for you should he leave or you simply don't see it. back when pendles was finding his way i remember many keen watchers saying how time stood still for him and i was none the wiser to what everyone was raving about.

that said, there was nothing flash about his one quarter performance. i thought it was workmanlike and he did what he needed to do. gave away the odd free as you might expect of someone with his limited senior experience.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
themonk

Post by themonk »

RudeBoy wrote:Of the 3 first year players we had in defence on the weekend, I thought Maynard and Marsh were far more impressive than Scharenberg. I keep watching him and keep seeing not much to rave about.
5 quarters of AFL after foot & knee surgery and you're making this call? I thought his 9 touches in a quarter against Melbourne was excellent.

You have reached the point that you want him to fail, what a shame

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops:
Neil Appleby

Sharenberg speaks on contract

Post by Neil Appleby »

Matthew Sharenberg has again been asked about his contract and when he will sign it. This article just posted on The Age online, doesn't give me any further cause for optimism I''m afraid.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... ivskg.html
After the epic draw comes the decisive knockout!
Collingwood rules the world again and Mick Malthouse fulfils his destiny with the twenty ten premiership and can you hear the people sing!
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

I am Da Man
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

"A lot of it was just about getting games under my belt, having spent such a long time out of the game."
happy to sit in the "nothing to worry about" camp. by waiting to play a few games (and nothing untoward happens to him in the meantime) he is no worse off by waiting a bit longer.
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

Exacly what I thought.

Wants to play out the Season. Getting Senior Games Helps.

Try and get bit extra $$$ as playing Senior Footy will help that
I am Da Man
Neil Appleby

Post by Neil Appleby »

Yes JW that's one way of looking at it and I know you consistently post about it not being an issue, but twice in seven days he's been asked about his contract and he hasn't said he wants to stay and he wants to sign. I'll remain sceptical until he offers real enthusiasm for staying.
After the epic draw comes the decisive knockout!
Collingwood rules the world again and Mick Malthouse fulfils his destiny with the twenty ten premiership and can you hear the people sing!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

saying he wants to stay reduces his negotiating position.
i invite you to join lazza and me in a cup of the best oolong tea should he depart.
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

John Wren wrote:saying he wants to stay reduces his negotiating position.
i invite you to join lazza and me in a cup of the best oolong tea should he depart.
I disagree. A player may want to stay....but only for the right money. Agents and clubs are regularly haggling over contracts, but it's usual practice for players to declare their preference is to stay at their club. Players who just say it will sort itself out at the end of the season are usually heading out the door. Think Scully, Ablett, Franklin and Dangerfield. Of course I might be wrong, but I think he's gonski. If he stays I wish him a great career as a Pie, but if he goes, I won't lose any sleep over his departure, as long as we get good compensation. To be honest, he doesn't excite me as a player much anyway.
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

RudeBoy wrote:
I disagree. A player may want to stay....but only for the right money. Agents and clubs are regularly haggling over contracts, but it's usual practice for players to declare their preference is to stay at their club. Players who just say it will sort itself out at the end of the season are usually heading out the door. Think Scully, Ablett, Franklin and Dangerfield. Of course I might be wrong, but I think he's gonski. If he stays I wish him a great career as a Pie, but if he goes, I won't lose any sleep over his departure, as long as we get good compensation. To be honest, he doesn't excite me as a player much anyway.
Cloke and Broomhead did the same thing but he stayed :wink:
I am Da Man
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

themonk wrote:
5 quarters of AFL after foot & knee surgery and you're making this call? I thought his 9 touches in a quarter against Melbourne was excellent.

Actually I want him to be the next Pendles and be a future Collingwood captain. However, ignoring the hype about him, I honestly just see an introverted, slow half back flanker, who is an ordinary kick, but one who reads the play well and is a good mark. Others obviously are seeing something else in him. If he stays at Collingwood I hope they are right and I am wrong. If he leaves, I hope my judgement is proven correct. Only time will tell. :?
themonk

Post by themonk »

RudeBoy wrote:
themonk wrote:

Actually I want him to be the next Pendles and be a future Collingwood captain. However, ignoring the hype about him, I honestly just see an introverted, slow half back flanker, who is an ordinary kick, but one who reads the play well and is a good mark. Others obviously are seeing something else in him. If he stays at Collingwood I hope they are right and I am wrong. If he leaves, I hope my judgement is proven correct. Only time will tell. :?
Let's hope you are horribly wrong, for all our sakes
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

RudeBoy wrote:
He's was a top ten pick but has had an ordinary time with injury and hasn't shown a lot yet, so I'm not sure what adequate compensation for him would be.