#12 Matt Scharenberg

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by stui magpie »

RudeBoy wrote:
John Wren wrote:saying he wants to stay reduces his negotiating position.
i invite you to join lazza and me in a cup of the best oolong tea should he depart.
I disagree. A player may want to stay....but only for the right money. Agents and clubs are regularly haggling over contracts, but it's usual practice for players to declare their preference is to stay at their club. Players who just say it will sort itself out at the end of the season are usually heading out the door. Think Scully, Ablett, Franklin and Dangerfield. Of course I might be wrong, but I think he's gonski. If he stays I wish him a great career as a Pie, but if he goes, I won't lose any sleep over his departure, as long as we get good compensation. To be honest, he doesn't excite me as a player much anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdhAfMor9BM
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Neil Appleby

Post by Neil Appleby »

Dale Thomas spent much of 2013 saying he just wanted to play footy. Hell, a month before he left he suggested kids should hold off throwing out their No.13 jumpers. I have quoted Daisy's exact words more than once here. After being nursed by the club for 18 months through serious injury, you'd reckon he'd want to repay the club in spades. I hope he does stay; I think he's a beauty, but like Rude Boy, I think he is gonski.
After the epic draw comes the decisive knockout!
Collingwood rules the world again and Mick Malthouse fulfils his destiny with the twenty ten premiership and can you hear the people sing!
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

I am Da Man
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

can you people stop saying 'gonski' the word is GONE
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

RudeBoy wrote:
themonk wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:Of the 3 first year players we had in defence on the weekend, I thought Maynard and Marsh were far more impressive than Scharenberg. I keep watching him and keep seeing not much to rave about.
5 quarters of AFL after foot & knee surgery and you're making this call? I thought his 9 touches in a quarter against Melbourne was excellent.

You have reached the point that you want him to fail, what a shame

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops:
Actually I want him to be the next Pendles and be a future Collingwood captain. However, ignoring the hype about him, I honestly just see an introverted, slow half back flanker, who is an ordinary kick, but one who reads the play well and is a good mark. Others obviously are seeing something else in him. If he stays at Collingwood I hope they are right and I am wrong. If he leaves, I hope my judgement is proven correct. Only time will tell. :?
He is definitely a good kick. He also has the special and unteachable commodity of calmness and time under pressure. It's this that makes great footballers and something that neither Marsh or Maynard have to the same degree. Also, Scharenberg did have 9 touches to Marsh's 10 in a quarter of his game time.

There's no doubt that Scharenberg is still a ways from his best, you'd expect that with someone who's been almost two years out of the game. He's definitely showing enough to suggest he will be a very good player though. And he will never be "just" a half back flanker. He was recruited as a utility and will spend time back, forward and through the middle. His career trajectory will be similar to Goddard's, which position he settles on is yet to be seen.
Well done boys!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

John Wren wrote:saying he wants to stay reduces his negotiating position.
i invite you to join lazza and me in a cup of the best oolong tea should he depart.
I might even add something special into the tea just for the occasion!! :twisted:
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Funkadelic

Post by Funkadelic »

Well said inky. The qualities you talk about that not many players possess will manifest at different stages. Patience is needed with this young fella. The force is strong with this one.
Tear the roof off tha sucker!!!
derkd
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

Neil Appleby wrote:Dale Thomas spent much of 2013 saying he just wanted to play footy. Hell, a month before he left he suggested kids should hold off throwing out their No.13 jumpers. I have quoted Daisy's exact words more than once here. After being nursed by the club for 18 months through serious injury, you'd reckon he'd want to repay the club in spades. I hope he does stay; I think he's a beauty, but like Rude Boy, I think he is gonski.

I agree Neil, said it for quite some time that his choice of words speak volumes. If you were attempting to pry more money from the club, wouldnt you drop hints? For example:

"I am really enjoying my time here, great club,making some great friends, the contract situation will be revisited at the end of the season" - non-committal, but suggesting that "money" is the issue.

Saying : "I'm sure the rest of it will just take care of itself." - lends to the notion that "I wont be here".

Not at all am i suggesting i want him gone, I actually think he might really bloom into a real talent in the next few years. Sadly i think it will most likely be at the Power or Crows. The danger of recruiting interstate players is just this.

Really do hope i am wrong.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

derkd wrote:I agree Neil, said it for quite some time that his choice of words speak volumes. If you were attempting to pry more money from the club, wouldnt you drop hints? For example:

"I am really enjoying my time here, great club,making some great friends, the contract situation will be revisited at the end of the season" - non-committal, but suggesting that "money" is the issue.

Saying : "I'm sure the rest of it will just take care of itself." - lends to the notion that "I wont be here".

Not at all am i suggesting i want him gone, I actually think he might really bloom into a real talent in the next few years. Sadly i think it will most likely be at the Power or Crows. The danger of recruiting interstate players is just this.

Totally get where you are coming from and I agree with you. However I'm heartened by the comments from people like JW who tend to know what they are talking about. If JW thinks there is a greater chance of Shazza staying than leaving, I would tend to believe that.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
derkd
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

Lazza wrote:
derkd wrote:I agree Neil, said it for quite some time that his choice of words speak volumes. If you were attempting to pry more money from the club, wouldnt you drop hints? For example:

Totally get where you are coming from and I agree with you. However I'm heartened by the comments from people like JW who tend to know what they are talking about. If JW thinks there is a greater chance of Shazza staying than leaving, I would tend to believe that.

I freely admit to not having any form of inside knowledge. All i will say is last year we had plenty who stated they had it on "very good authority" that Beams was not going anywhere. Call it a gut feeling to the statements being put out, I get a strong feeling he is gone from the club. The more time that passes without a signature the more likely it becomes. Would be great if he stays, if he goes, not the end of the world.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

FWIW reading on BigFooty apparently someone with club connections who posts on EBW says Scharenberg will be remaining at the club.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

swoop42 wrote:FWIW reading on BigFooty apparently someone with club connections who posts on EBW says Scharenberg will be remaining at the club.
If he's as good as they say he is then I hope they're right.
favourites 2008

Post by favourites 2008 »

I also have been told the club are very confident of keeping him. He's playing a decent role in getting aish to nominate the pies.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

favourites 2008 wrote:I also have been told the club are very confident of keeping him. He's playing a decent role in getting aish to nominate the pies.
Welcome back favourites 2008.

Could this be a SA conspiracy?

We have a good number of people from SA: Burns, Rendell, Grundy, Hart, Kennedy, Scharenberg & Broomhead (off the top of my head).

Are there 5th columnists working for Adelaide or Port Adelaide in our midst trying to distract the club from bigger things?

I could be wrong.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Darkstranger

Post by Darkstranger »

watt price tully wrote:
favourites 2008 wrote:I also have been told the club are very confident of keeping him. He's playing a decent role in getting aish to nominate the pies.
Welcome back favourites 2008.

Could this be a SA conspiracy?

We have a good number of people from SA: Burns, Rendell, Grundy, Hart, Kennedy, Scharenberg & Broomhead (off the top of my head).

Are there 5th columnists working for Adelaide or Port Adelaide in our midst trying to distract the club from bigger things?

I could be wrong.
What?
There is Collingwood and then the rest.