#12 Matt Scharenberg

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Stupied

Post by Stupied »

RudeBoy wrote:De Goey didn't haggle over the terms of a contract extension.
Moore didn't haggle over the terms of a contract extension.
Maynard didn't haggle over the terms of a contract extension.
Langdon didn't haggle over the terms of a contract extension.
Ramsay didn't haggle over the terms of a contract extension.

Despite the fact that we've nursed him through 18 months of rehab and he's only played 3 fairly ordinary games for us, it seems Scharenberg reckons he's worth a lot more than these other players. I'd have expected him to feel that he owes Collingwood, not the other way around. Let him go back to Adelaide. It's obviously where he wants to be. We don't need players who are half-hearted and not fully committed to our club.
How do you know who did and didn't haggle over terms? Frankly, if they just blindly accepted what the club was offering with no negotiation, their managers aren't doing their jobs properly. Not every contract negotiation is publicised you know...
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Stupied wrote:

Despite the fact that we've nursed him through 18 months of rehab and he's only played 3 fairly ordinary games for us, it seems Scharenberg reckons he's worth a lot more than these other players. I'd have expected him to feel that he owes Collingwood, not the other way around. Let him go back to Adelaide. It's obviously where he wants to be. We don't need players who are half-hearted and not fully committed to our club.
How do you know who did and didn't haggle over terms? Frankly, if they just blindly accepted what the club was offering with no negotiation, their managers aren't doing their jobs properly. Not every contract negotiation is publicised you know...
I know that none of the others kept stalling negotiations for 18 months and then left it to the very last minute to put their demands to the club. I thought you would have known that. :roll:
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

RudeBoy wrote:
Stupied wrote:

I know that none of the others kept stalling negotiations for 18 months and then left it to the very last minute to put their demands to the club. I thought you would have known that. :roll:
Exactly. This is bloody disgraceful. :evil: :x
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Stupied

Post by Stupied »

RudeBoy wrote:
Stupied wrote:

Which is a completely separate issue to whether or not their managers actually negotiated the best possible contract for them.

You've clearly made your mind up about the kid already and are grabbing any excuse to try and pot him. This thread is a testament to that. Fwiw, there was very little substance to that story last night, and the kid is very likely to stay a pie.
Stupied

Post by Stupied »

Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Stupied wrote: How do you know who did and didn't haggle over terms? Frankly, if they just blindly accepted what the club was offering with no negotiation, their managers aren't doing their jobs properly. Not every contract negotiation is publicised you know...
Exactly. This is bloody disgraceful. :evil: :x
Bullshit. Walk a mile in Matt's shoes. He's shown nothing but professionalism in the way he's conducted himself within the club during his rehab period. There a very few players who could have managed to achieve what he has this year coming off 18 months of injury. He had every right to try and prove to the club what he's worth before starting contract negotiations, and his manager would be doing a poor job if he just accepted the first offer the club made.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

RudeBoy wrote:
neil wrote:

All true

However Cloke haggled over the terms of his contract
Pretty sure a number of others have haggled without getting much attention.
It's extremely rare for any player who has only played 3 games to haggle over their first contract extension. Cloke had already served 7 or 8 years. It is normal practice for a player's first contract extension to be fairly straight forward and negotiated quickly without much fuss. It's only when a player has truly demonstrated their worth by a few years in the system that contract haggling, to some degree, is to be expected.
Cloke bent us over for his FS signature.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Is there a Chance he could Re-Sign on a 1 Year Contract and then re-start Negations next year when Hopefully he has had a Big Pre-Season and Played some good AFL Footy Early in the Season?
I am Da Man
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Dave The Man wrote:Is there a Chance he could Re-Sign on a 1 Year Contract and then re-start Negations next year when Hopefully he has had a Big Pre-Season and Played some good AFL Footy Early in the Season?
Technically I'm sure he could Dave, but this would simply result in a whole year of further speculation of 'will he or won't he'. It would also signal a lack of commitment to being a long term Collingwood player.

Finally, my negative comments about his negotiating tactics are really criticisms of his manager. After all, he is just a 19 yr old kid, so it's wrong of me to blame him for such stuff. It seems to me he either has a poor manager, or else his manager has been scheming all along to screw the club. In the short term that may win him some extra cash - paid by us or the Crows - but in the long term, it risks tainting him as a selfish, and somewhat delusional, player, who is not team oriented. I really hope this kid is getting some sensible advice from somewhere.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Tell me more about it.
MAY-Z

Post by MAY-Z »

RudeBoy wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:Is there a Chance he could Re-Sign on a 1 Year Contract and then re-start Negations next year when Hopefully he has had a Big Pre-Season and Played some good AFL Footy Early in the Season?
Technically I'm sure he could Dave, but this would simply result in a whole year of further speculation of 'will he or won't he'. It would also signal a lack of commitment to being a long term Collingwood player.

Finally, my negative comments about his negotiating tactics are really criticisms of his manager. After all, he is just a 19 yr old kid, so it's wrong of me to blame him for such stuff. It seems to me he either has a poor manager, or else his manager has been scheming all along to screw the club. In the short term that may win him some extra cash - paid by us or the Crows - but in the long term, it risks tainting him as a selfish, and somewhat delusional, player, who is not team oriented. I really hope this kid is getting some sensible advice from somewhere.
Like when Pendlebury signed a 1 year contract extension?

Personally I'm amazed that anyone is potting a 2nd year player coming off 2 years of injuries to actually make the senior team. There are probably experienced players who would struggle to have any impact with the lack of fitness base he has had.

As for reports of $400k that might not be too far off the mark - don't forget the AFLPA will be haggling massively for a large slice of the new TV rights deal so maybe the deal they are after might rise to $400k depending on new salary caps etc.

Unless you have been in everyone of those contract negotiations you dont know if what you are saying has any truth at all (and neither do I so you may be right but it's not fact)
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

If he wants 400k for doing 4-5ths of **** all imagine what he'll want when/if he actually does something, he will take us to the cleaners every time his contract is up, I say trade him now and reload, let's face it there's every chance a top 10-12 pick would have a bigger impact on the field in the short term anyway, or we use the crows first rounder to secure Aish.
Defender...........

You like this.
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

Ffs the kids shown nothing but professionalism over the past two years and has endured a pretty shitty run. Of course he wants a chance to demonstrate his worth on the field to strengthen his bargaining position for his next contract. That doesn't make him any less committed to the club than those that have signed.

He's also a top 10 draft pick and is highly regarded by most outsiders who have seen him play. Given that, I wouldn't think an asking price of $400k (if that is what is being asked) is too far outside the ballpark. Why so keen to pot him on next to no information?
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

nomadjack wrote:Ffs the kids shown nothing but professionalism over the past two years and has endured a pretty shitty run. Of course he wants a chance to demonstrate his worth on the field to strengthen his bargaining position for his next contract. That doesn't make him any less committed to the club than those that have signed.

He's also a top 10 draft pick and is highly regarded by most outsiders who have seen him play. Given that, I wouldn't think an asking price of $400k (if that is what is being asked) is too far outside the ballpark. Why so keen to pot him on next to no information?
There's a long list of top 10 picks who were highly regarded and disn't live up to the hype, I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest this kid is going to an elite player, in fact I see signs he won't be, looks disinterested at times and certainly doesn't show The amount of desperation-hunger that is required for the highest level, he doesn't have any physical attributes that set him apart from the rest either.

I realize he's coming from a long way back and will improve over time, I just expected more, him asking for 400k is ridiculous and ill be furious if we pay it.
Defender...........

You like this.
themonk

Post by themonk »

Defender wrote:
nomadjack wrote:Ffs the kids shown nothing but professionalism over the past two years and has endured a pretty shitty run. Of course he wants a chance to demonstrate his worth on the field to strengthen his bargaining position for his next contract. That doesn't make him any less committed to the club than those that have signed.

There's a long list of top 10 picks who were highly regarded and disn't live up to the hype, I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest this kid is going to an elite player, in fact I see signs he won't be, looks disinterested at times and certainly doesn't show The amount of desperation-hunger that is required for the highest level, he doesn't have any physical attributes that set him apart from the rest either.

I realize he's coming from a long way back and will improve over time, I just expected more, him asking for 400k is ridiculous and ill be furious if we pay it.
I disagree regarding his ability, yes he needs to improve his running, intensity at the ball & one on one battles, however he was involved in several forward moves that resulted in goals, skills and decision making is his gift, the rest can be taught.
didick
Been liked: 1 time

Post by didick »

How many pages did the Cloke thread get to?
"The night is a very dark time for me" Chaz Michael Michaels