Post Season 2003 - TRADE TALK

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

creedymagpie

Post by creedymagpie »

OK! 2 things are really annoying me-

1. Leon Davis being Delisted? come on the guy has had a bad season but i dont think he will be delisted, that is ludicrus! if anything he will be traded but i still think he will stay.

2. Ben Kinnear- he has had 6 years to prove himself and still is a VFL standard footballer! i dont need to go on!
I love Danny Allsopp, Danny Allsopp loves me!
Sultan of spin

Post by Sultan of spin »

Spot on Creedy! nice to hear someone talking sense
Northern Pie

Post by Northern Pie »

OK here is what is bugging me.....

Why are we chasing another midfielder???

Our Current Midfield is and is looking pretty good and add to that the Pies newest Recruit for 2004 Tarkyn Lockyer and we have a pretty impressive line up there...as i see it the following players are being used or could be used as midfielders:

Buckley - still 2 or 3 years left in him for sure
Burns - He IS Collingwood
Woey - Alot of people bagging him but didn't everyone have a pretty poor game in the granny....he is a gun
Licuria - did someone say Dual Copeland Winner
Lockyer - He will be ready to round 1 and will come back hungry
Holland - After trying him pretty much everywhere he became a surprise packet in the midfield for us and because of that is still learning his craft.
Didak - With his skills, pace and poise he would definately suit the midfield and could rotate through there when required
Scotland - Under rated and may go, but I hope not as I think he may have finally earnt a little respect
McGough - Sheez give thew kid a break..he is 18 and can still improve, if he can overcome his delivery problems (as shaw did this year) then he will be a great midfielder

Ok so look at that list, have I left anyone out?? so judging by that do we honestly need to be chasing another 6 footer midfield type....

I have no idea why we are not gunning for the likes of Dean Cox..an excellent bustling ruckman with great stats, and apparently he is up for trade...Dean Solomon...we need that little bit of experince and bulk down back for our backline to move to the next level and a forward such as Nathan Brown...providing a goal square target which will free up Taz to play his nautral game and allow Rocca to do his blocking stuff up forward to release our crummers....ie didak, davis etc....

All of us are being a little to emotional as to all the changes that need to be made, and I hope that the Pies keep a level head about them when going into trade negotiations and attaint he services of players that we actually need rather than whatever superstar is available....

Cheers
commonwombat

Post by commonwombat »

Well thought out post, Northern Pie and agree with most of yr comments and reasoning particularly regarding potential options ie Cox, Solomon and Brown. Yr midfield argument has much merit but have this reservation. Pace is not particularly strong attribute of this group whilst there are a few in that group that, for all their admirable attributes, would not honestly be rated for their skill level with regards to disposal. With all due respect, we should have a look at what is available.
he's an animal, what can u expect!!!
JLC

Post by JLC »

Because on the weekend our midfield got smashed and you have to have depth to cover injuries.

jlc
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
Northern Pie

Post by Northern Pie »

I agree our midfield got smashed in the granny JLC, but BRisbane would not have a midfield that was classed as pacey either and some of thier disposals are questionable..the reason we got smashed in the midfield is because ever time there was a ruck contest the Brisbane Midfield knew that if they ran 20-30mtrs in the attacking direction that the ball would be there because of the ruck work of keating....our deficencies in our Ruck was Exposed, not our midfield....Our Midfield would look even better pace wise, and skill wise if we had a ruck that was able to deliver the ball to compliment their style of play and currently we just don't have it....

The Depth thing... I would suggest we have more depth in the sort of players who can back up in the midfield than a lto of other lists goign around and our top 5, Buxs, Burns, Licca, woey and Lockyer would be a start in any other AFL team going around...I owuld just rather see the Pies Focus in on whatg is exactly needed instead of just going the same sort of player year in year out....Oh and I left out O'bree....

Cheers
JLC

Post by JLC »

Our midfield has been great all year but we need a big robust midfielder who can crash packs open and get the hard ball. I know Bucks and Burns do that but i want a Jason Johnson type player. We also need an Akermanis or Judd type player (not personality wise) who can kick 4 or 5 goals in a game and break games open.

When was the last time we had a midfielder who kicked 5 goals in a game ??

jlc
Lone Ranger
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Lone Ranger »

So in summary, the following players are coming to Collingwood. In fact, for each player we are reliably informed that "this deal was done months ago"

Lekas from Hawthorn
Stevens from Port
Gilbee from Dogs
Brown from Dogs
Solomon from Essendon
Jacobs from Essendon

Further, in an amazing piece of trading, we are apparently getting all these blokes by trading Ben Kinnear and Leon Davis. These 2 must be going to share their time between the 4 clubs.
JLC

Post by JLC »

maggies2003 wrote:does anyone think we could trade mcgough & McKee for either stevens or brown?
Yeah and that person goes by the name of Mr Optimistic or Mr Delusional.

Port have no use for McKee unless Williams is into collecting card board cut outs or they want a new mascot.

McGough would be handy for both especially Port.

However i could not see that being enough to get the deal when other clubs will surely offer more than that.

jlc
Sultan of spin

Post by Sultan of spin »

I think Northern Pie's comments are 100% accurate. I still believe Soloman should be our no 1 target but apparently we are concentrating on Stevens. I would also recriut Brown before. Brown would be a midfielder capable of kicking 4-5 goals in a game JLC. I think if we got brown we may be able to rotate him and didak between wing and forward pocket giving us more midfield depth and more goal kicking power.

The worry for me is whether we will be able to find a suitable trade to secure any of these guys, Richmond will be offering out Holland and Carlton have pick no 2, both these teams have room in their salary caps also.
jimgerolimatos

Post by jimgerolimatos »

i cant believe it , we got rid of rupert betheras what a gun .
he kicked 4 goals in last years finals and he was chosen ahead of kinnear and cole ....baffling.
whats also unbelievable is where not gonna use him in a trade .
i hope the wheels havent fallen off at collingwood . we need another a big man to cover rocca if he gets injured . and obviously a ruckman which was evident last year but we didnt act on it .
go pies 2004
rupe you will be missed ,
wish him all the best if he goes to another club .
enos

Post by enos »

jimgerolimatos wrote:i cant believe it , we got rid of rupert betheras what a gun .
he kicked 4 goals in last years finals and he was chosen ahead of kinnear and cole ....baffling.
whats also unbelievable is where not gonna use him in a trade .
i hope the wheels havent fallen off at collingwood . we need another a big man to cover rocca if he gets injured . and obviously a ruckman which was evident last year but we didnt act on it .
go pies 2004
rupe you will be missed ,
wish him all the best if he goes to another club .
Yeah he was a real blue collar worker who gave his all for the black and white. I'm another one who will miss him, he did have more to give I am sure.
I was in bay 13 in 1958..
enos

Post by enos »

No one has mentioned MM's performance in the GF. Was it poor or is this just me. His sarcastic comments about Cloke didnt help in any way and some of his moves were baffling. Not to mention the match committees choice of players for the game itself.
See Scott Watters comments in the Age about MM when he was coaching Weagles, he tends to blame his players too much. All the crap has fallen on the players heads and the axe is out for them maybe the blame should be shared a bit. Give the young guys another chance.
I was in bay 13 in 1958..
the black and white

Post by the black and white »

I hope Collingwood is not try to quick fix problems but rather looking to secure our future long term.

Stevens - Will be a great player to have because he has the good skills and gets plenty of the ball. At 23 he has the ability to be our next gun midfielder which may be needed when Buckley starts to drop off. Tarkyn Lockyer will be this player.

Brown - Has the ability to be one of the most damaging players in the AFL. At 24 he also can a gun midfielder with great skills and he is more versatile than Stevens.

i think we can probably only get 1 of these players and i would go for Brown because he is more versatile.

Our major problem rests on our big man department. I have seen Cameron Cloke play for Willi and he has the ability to be the back up ruckmen for josh. Also Tom Davidson has been mentioned as a great prospect if we need this CHF/CHB player than he can develop as such.

Lets not go out there and get rid of players just because we got smashed.
The future is bright.
Its time to hurt all that come before us.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

I'm not really surprised Rupe was dumped but why so soon? Why should he take priority ove Richardson and Freeborn who surely are certainties to go?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange