#12 Matt Scharenberg

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Geez it blows living in Queensland some times missing coverage of ability to see VFL live.
From the reports I've read Scharenberg showed in first half why he was so highly rated prior to the draft.
I posted before I heard Leigh Matthews at w luncheon say if not for his foot injuries he would have gone top 2 in the draft.
Matthews also said he had elite vision in a game and that's something you can't coach. He added he thought he was a midfielder going forward at AFL level and likened him to a young Pendlebury with his laconic style of running and time he had.
So it's been 12hrs since the game and I'm not reading he has signed yet is this a bad sign ? Lol
I'm with JW I think his staying and after he gets his first ever AFL preseason under his belt he will show more and more.
Yes folks he hasn't had a AFL preseason yet both seasons he has come off operations and serious rehab programs and yet we have seen glimpses of a very good player.
Come on Shazza sign today lad and this thread could go to 5000 posts.
I'm guessing 3yr deal signed and delivered by close of business Thursday (allowing for mad Monday and a recovery day from that)
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Pies2016 wrote:
John Wren wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote: Not sure if he went to Browne after Pendlebury (who should have been his opponent) got beat or if it was just situational covering, but Matt shouldn't be playing man on man against a genuine KPP.
maynard and pendles were the tall backs. schaz went deeper back went one of them came off.
JW, how good is your memory ?? If I remember correctly, last time Sandy and Pies played, Sharenberg spent a lot of time on Brown and Brown actually had one of his quietest games of the year. The only reason I remember is because I was talking to Mitch Browns dad a week after that game and he was saying how impressed his son was with Sharenberg.
This was before Sharenberg had debuted in the seniors.
yeah, not so good. couldn't tell you.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

John Wren wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
John Wren wrote: maynard and pendles were the tall backs. schaz went deeper back went one of them came off.
JW, how good is your memory ?? If I remember correctly, last time Sandy and Pies played, Sharenberg spent a lot of time on Brown and Brown actually had one of his quietest games of the year. The only reason I remember is because I was talking to Mitch Browns dad a week after that game and he was saying how impressed his son was with Sharenberg.
You're memory is so bad you login with a different username every few years. :wink:
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

qldmagpie67 wrote:Geez it blows living in Queensland some times missing coverage of ability to see VFL live.
From the reports I've read Scharenberg showed in first half why he was so highly rated prior to the draft.
I posted before I heard Leigh Matthews at w luncheon say if not for his foot injuries he would have gone top 2 in the draft.
Matthews also said he had elite vision in a game and that's something you can't coach. He added he thought he was a midfielder going forward at AFL level and likened him to a young Pendlebury with his laconic style of running and time he had.
So it's been 12hrs since the game and I'm not reading he has signed yet is this a bad sign ? Lol
I'm with JW I think his staying and after he gets his first ever AFL preseason under his belt he will show more and more.
Yes folks he hasn't had a AFL preseason yet both seasons he has come off operations and serious rehab programs and yet we have seen glimpses of a very good player.
I'm guessing 3yr deal signed and delivered by close of business Thursday (allowing for mad Monday and a recovery day from that)
Ive always seen him as a future midfielder.
Think he could be the modern utility when he is strong and fit.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

John Wren wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
John Wren wrote: maynard and pendles were the tall backs. schaz went deeper back went one of them came off.
The Bat might recall. Probably worth considering that earlier in the season if he did play on Brown he would have had the support of Reid or Taylor or Oxley or Marsh (for the full game) so different scenarios.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

MJ23 wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:Geez it blows living in Queensland some times missing coverage of ability to see VFL live.
Ive always seen him as a future midfielder.
Think he could be the modern utility when he is strong and fit.
Me to. A less in & under classier Barlow type.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

1116 SEN have reported that Collingwood's Matthew Scharenberg has signed a three-year deal to remain with Collingwood after having turned his back on a lucractive offer to return to his native South Australia.

Collingwood are expected to announce Scharenberg's re-signing this week.
I am Da Man
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Dave The Man wrote:1116 SEN have reported that Collingwood's Matthew Scharenberg has signed a three-year deal to remain with Collingwood after having turned his back on a lucractive offer to return to his native South Australia.

I can see Rudie doing somersaults by the dozen with egg all over his face!!

TBH, I too shared his apprehensions so I will be doing the same..... :twisted:
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Dave The Man wrote:1116 SEN have reported that Collingwood's Matthew Scharenberg has signed a three-year deal to remain with Collingwood after having turned his back on a lucractive offer to return to his native South Australia.

this makes me happy. i had a chat with him yesterday. if it comes to fruition i shall claim this one. ;)
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

If that's true, I hope he goes on to have an illustrious career with us.

At the end of the day, I was not impressed by a player so young, who, due mainly to injury, has not yet been able to demonstrate much, yet was using interstate interest in him to hold out for a big pay packet. Same goes for Freeman. Down the track, if they each established themselves as great players, I would have understood their expectation of big pay rises, but right now I don't think they have done anywhere near enough to demand that. Others on Nicks obviously see this differently, and each to their own I guess. I realise football is a professional sport and managers are paid to get the best deals for their clients, but I would have thought a big picture strategy was the better pathway for such young players.

I've also expressed my lack of excitement at Scharenberg as a player. I remain skeptical, but given the huge raps on him from several highly regarded legends of the game, I bow to their rating of him. So, if he does indeed sign with us and commits to a long career as a Magpie I will get behind him as a Collingwood player.

PS. Congrats also to JW who has been a consistent supporter of Scharenberg. Even though I've disagreed with some of his views, I have never questioned his genuineness.
Last edited by RudeBoy on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

So what's the thinking around here?If he stays he's a budding champion who will be great for the club,and if he goes he's nothing special and we're not losing much?Is that how it goes? :)

By the way,i hope he stays.
thebaldfacts

Post by thebaldfacts »

Dave you truly are the man :D
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

It's SEN don't forget..................the biggest shit talkers in the country.

I'll wait till another news source or the club confirms it.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Geek

Post by Geek »

^ This
Benno
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Benno »

I've tried not to by into the "will he or won't he" speculation - I don't think anything good can come from it.

For a guy who hasn't been able to get on the park much, but is just starting to string some games together - it puts you in a difficult position when trying to negotiate for the best money available. I believe Freeman is in this boat also. On field actions don't warrant significant pay increases, so the manager puts it out there that club x are interested. It's probably the only bargaining chip that they have - especially if the manager/player knows that the club rate the potential.

I hope the SEN rumour is true - it would be good to put this to bed for a few years. Just need Freeman to do the same!