Post Season 2003 - TRADE TALK

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

JLC

Post by JLC »

a young player who wants to play for the pies.....have a read

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&s ... eid=122835
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

Pepstar is there any merit to Trent Croad for Leon Davis???

Croad is not the worst and could be a good back up for Pebs...

He also possesses the ability to kick long and straight and has plenty of pace. Obvious inclusion for Molloy now he's retired.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

draft

Post by piedys »

JLC wrote:a young player who wants to play for the pies.....have a read

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&s ... eid=122835
Would love to have Tenace at Collingwood. Wants to wear the jumper. Hope his skin doesn't blister and burn when he finds himself pulling on a Carlton gurnsey though. Or he could go interstate. So in 2-3 years time, will he be the next big star who gets homesick, and have his name thrown around like a frisbee in October trade?

This is where the problems start, removing kids from a comfortable home environment due to a draft system that rewards mismanaged, basket-case cellar-dwelling teams who finish at the bottom, instead of allowing them to go to the team of their choice. It is restraint of trade in a court of law.

Dyso
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
commonwombat

Post by commonwombat »

Dyso,
the sentiments of yr message are admirable and understandable albeit with some generalities. Who knows where and what these kid's backgrounds may be: good, bad, rich, poor, affluent, welfare, city, country.?? For some any move will be major surgery, for others it can be the best thing for them. Go where they want??? Thats an ideal world, and restricted club lists are a fact of AFL life. Restraint of trade, you can argue that till our beards go white, when you start talking these matters the only people getting rich are the lawyers.
he's an animal, what can u expect!!!
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

horrid wombat

Post by piedys »

commonwombat wrote:Dyso,
the sentiments of yr message are admirable and understandable albeit with some generalities. Who knows where and what these kid's backgrounds may be: good, bad, rich, poor, affluent, welfare, city, country.?? For some any move will be major surgery, for others it can be the best thing for them. Go where they want??? Thats an ideal world, and restricted club lists are a fact of AFL life. Restraint of trade, you can argue that till our beards go white, when you start talking these matters the only people getting rich are the lawyers.
Oh, you horrid wombat! Don't start me! All kids must leave the nest so to speak and learn independance at some stage... BUT can i conclude by saying why should a sporting body be able to dictate a lifestyle to a professional athlete? These kids should be able to still mingle with their own friends, in their own state, and NOT have to sacrafice this as well as their family life, for the sake of playing elite football with a bunch of blokes they realy didn't want to be teammates with in the first place!! Re-introduce area zoning or balance up the salary-cap.

That can be Demetriou's first job.

Dyso
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Buckethead

Post by Buckethead »

I can't believe Brown chose Richmond, Yeah they've got a good young midfield coming up but look at their key position department. Richardson 29, Stafford almost 30?, Holland 26(and they wanto trade him). There going to have to invest in cloning and try and clone 3 Brad Ottens'. Also, Richmond have said that he's accepting the same money that the doggies offered him? Ffs I woulda stuck with the doggies that Cooney kid looks guru. But I'd say he'll defenitely goto Richmond cause he can hold the doggies to ransom cause Carlton have second pick in the pre-season draft and he could cash up if he went there. There defenitely has to be something funny tho, I think Solomon may be on his way to Tigerland but poor Richmond the Bombers will totally rort them for him hahah(Be good to see our enemy's fighting). But again with that Bendigo argument, about how the Bendigo boys Solomon and Brown want to re-unite and how they used to be the 'brat-pack' with Tarrant and Alvey, What about Alvey? Alvey's at the doggies? Sorry if this message sounds like waffle which it prolly does I am just confused by Brown's decision togo to Richmond. But I'd take great glee in watching Richmond go for the quick fix and **** up again. Touchwood.
commonwombat

Post by commonwombat »

Dyso,
perhaps yr thoughts re zones has merit. However the old zones are totally out the window. As it is the Melb clubs are representing the size of Melb as it once was and these localities have changes completely, not to mention the sprawl of the metro area. Interesting, how that may be drawn let alone country Vic. How will other states be treated, are they to be ceded to stand alone 1 team states, split between the 2 teams (ie SA, WA), players from Tas, ACT and NT? what is the fate of interstate players that are passed over by the i/state clubs for whatever reason?
I am not deriding yr point of view but some of these alternatives throw up as many snags as the current system.
he's an animal, what can u expect!!!
Pa Marmo

Post by Pa Marmo »

I believe the draft has to stay, it just needs to be cleaned up a little in regards to young blokes starting out. Maybee it needs to be done like in the states where it is by secret ballot and you pick in order you are drawn then we could have a draft trade period after that
Genesis 1:1
RayByrneForPOPE

Post by RayByrneForPOPE »

Jeff White thats who i reckon we need and will get

Post by AGE »

For some reason, and I don't know why, but I was thinking today we might end up with Angelo Lekas. Now I'm not saying I want him at Collingwood, but we always end signing a player that slips under the media's spotlight, eg. Woewodin, Wakelin, Holland, Clement to name a few...
grims

Post by grims »

Why would we want/need jeff white, he's a washed up injury prone has been. I think josh is a better ruckmen than jeff white no doubts about it.
Joel

Post by Joel »

AGE wrote:For some reason, and I don't know why, but I was thinking today we might end up with Angelo Lekas. Now I'm not saying I want him at Collingwood, but we always end signing a player that slips under the media's spotlight, eg. Woewodin, Wakelin, Holland, Clement to name a few...
Lekkas said yesterday that he is staying at the Hawks. Whether that happens, is another thing.

Post by AGE »

Yeah but in the paper he said he was dissapointed with the club and RAwlings coz they cut his the player payments for new contracts to keep Rawlings, but then were going after Brown or something to that effect
TRELOS

Post by TRELOS »

i wouldnt mind Lekkas, has a pretty good shot at goal and mark, depending on what Hawks wants and pies would be prepared to give up would probably differ BUT i think his going to re-sign with them
Pa Marmo

Post by Pa Marmo »

Lekkas is no good to us. What is he going to do for us? We want to be looking at a tall strong CHB type, possibly a croad
Genesis 1:1