Collingwood Father Son and NGA Radar

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

jackcass

Post by jackcass »

We can certainly find the required points if they're deemed worthy but as we've seen if the club doesn't rate a player at a level they'll definitely pass on the option.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

jackcass wrote:We can certainly find the required points if they're deemed worthy but as we've seen if the club doesn't rate a player at a level they'll definitely pass on the option.
The exceptions are the sons of Daicos.

Eddie and Pert would have to resign if we allowed Daicos to go to another club. This is irrational, illogical and purely emotional, but it is what it is. Daicos will be at Collingwood next year.
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

Their selection should be meritorious, not because of who they are.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I heard they have a good selection should be meritorious not because of who they are.
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

HAL wrote:I heard they have a good selection should be meritorious not because of who they are.
I've never understood you Hal.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I posted something similar ages ago and consensus had it then we would have plenty of draft points to match offers.
I honestly can't see them going until second round unless someone just wants us to waste picks then we would have w decision to make.
I'm assuming we will be trading some players out at years end so I think we will pick up multiple 2nd 3rd & 4th rd picks
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

RudeBoy wrote:
jackcass wrote:We can certainly find the required points if they're deemed worthy but as we've seen if the club doesn't rate a player at a level they'll definitely pass on the option.

Eddie and Pert would have to resign if we allowed Daicos to go to another club. This is irrational, illogical and purely emotional, but it is what it is. Daicos will be at Collingwood next year.
Support for your team is emotional so that makes what you said logical and rational from that point of view. From an emotional view they should both be at Collingwood next year- no ifs, buts or maybes. The game is based upon tradition but I don't think the powers that be actually appreciate that. I never saw Murray Weideman play but I saw his son Mark kick a goal with his first kick. Mark's son should be a Pie. So should Craig Stewart's son & I still don't like seeing Picken playing for the Dogs. They may or may not have worked out at the Pies but they should have been given a chance but obviously the system doesn't work that way.

If I had the power to do so I would change the father/son rule. If your father played one game for the club you could be drafted to that club using the last pick available to that club. If that is unfair to some other clubs then bad luck. There is unfairness everywhere. We live in an age of pretend academies, concessions to new clubs & Brisbane were allowed a different salary cap to win their premierships.
HAL

Post by HAL »

Achilles wrote:
HAL wrote:I heard they have a good selection should be meritorious not because of who they are.
I've never understood you Hal.
Can you remember any time that

he or she've did it?
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Support for your team is emotional so that makes what you said logical and rational from that point of view. From an emotional view they should both be at Collingwood next year- no ifs, buts or maybes. The game is based upon tradition but I don't think the powers that be actually appreciate that. I never saw Murray Weideman play but I saw his son Mark kick a goal with his first kick. Mark's son should be a Pie. So should Craig Stewart's son & I still don't like seeing Picken playing for the Dogs. They may or may not have worked out at the Pies but they should have been given a chance but obviously the system doesn't work that way.

If I had the power to do so I would change the father/son rule. If your father played one game for the club you could be drafted to that club using the last pick available to that club. If that is unfair to some other clubs then bad luck. There is unfairness everywhere. We live in an age of pretend academies, concessions to new clubs & Brisbane were allowed a different salary cap to win their premierships.
Exactamundo. 8)
roar

Post by roar »

Achilles wrote:Their selection should be meritorious, not because of who they are.
Except when they are the sons of Daicos.
kill for collingwood!
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

roar wrote:
Achilles wrote:Their selection should be meritorious, not because of who they are.
Except when they are the sons of Daicos.
Yep.
Est. 2002
qldmagpie67

Post by qldmagpie67 »

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

100% agree especially with the part of changing the system. Use the last pick in the draft for the father/sons if other clubs think it's unfair then tell the former champions to start siring boys. A case could be put for GWS & Suns who haven't been around long enough to have that next generation but that shouldn't be at the expense of the traditional clubs who built the league they play in.
There can never be a case for a Daicos to wear a different jersey unless he leaves via free agency after 200 outstanding games
mattys123

Post by mattys123 »

The rated draft value of either player won't be known until after the TAC Cup finals, but we will have a better idea in a few weeks once the national championships is over.

At the moment, at highest, Brown is rated a late 2nd round pick and Daicos 3rd or maybe even 4th round.

So as it stands we can easily afford both, even without a first or second round pick to play with.

Of course there's always the possibility we trade players away to get a 1st or 2nd round pick which would make it easier to get both youngsters.

Brown is more of a midfielder than Daicos at this point, but both have shown ability to kick goals in the small forward role.

But I agree with Rudeboy here I don't care what it costs, both have to be on the Collingwood list next year, they suit a need (small forwards) and their names are just too big to pass up.
qldmagpie67

Post by qldmagpie67 »

mattys123 wrote:^
Thanks Matty makes plenty of sense in regards to getting them both without selling the farm
I think we will be active in clearing some players this season to many same style and ability. We need to have flair and creativity to go along with our grunt
Bucks2014

Post by Bucks2014 »

Callum Brown

Brown is of interest, not necessarily because he'll slot in this high on draft night, but because he is the son of former Collingwood captain Gavin. He played some very eye-catching footy for Eastern Ranges during last year's finals series, and is a smart, instinctive player.
Size: 177cm, 69kg
Born: 27/4/1998
Team: Vic Metro
Type: Small forward-midfield type who makes sharp, smart decisions and finds ways to keep involved

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... z4B3V42udd
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook
"Still waiting for your call Caroline ... not a quote in sight. Don't ever presume to speak on Collingwood's behalf,"